PDA

View Full Version : Jeppesen Mobile TC or FD?

Privatecaptain
16th May 2013, 18:00
Hi all,

I am considering a Jeppview subscription for usage on both PC and iPad. It will be the VFR Europe license.

What would you recommend using as app on the iPad? JeppTC (Terminal Charts) or JeppFD (FliteDeck)?
Is there any benefit from FD over TC?

Keep in mind that I am only flying VFR, so airways are not that relevant for me.

Thanks in advance!

stevelup
16th May 2013, 19:00
Check out SkyDemon - massively more useful than either Jepp product.

Free Trial (http://www.skydemon.aero/start/)

piperarcher
16th May 2013, 19:50
AFAIK they are two different products. TC as you say is just a charting package, and the other is the navigation package. From what I recall all of the Jepp packages are expensive and unless you are planning on touring Europe widely, and going to lots of airports that require the range of Europe wide charts and or Instrument Approach plates, I'd go with SkyDemon or PocketFMS or something. These are much cheaper and more regularly updated with features and stuff.

I use SkyDemon and you can download AIP plates for free, or subscribe to a national enhanced package (like Pooleys for the UK). Personally I would only buy one of the Jepp packages for the Instrument approach plates, and even then I'd go in with a group of 3 others to share the cost.

glider12000
17th May 2013, 06:42
Jeppesen are about to release a VFR iPad application, you may want to check that out..

NEWS | JEPPESEN LAUNCHES VFR NAV PLANNER FOR IPAD (http://www.loop.aero/LPA3077/JEPPESEN+LAUNCHES+VFR+NAV+PLANNER+FOR+IPAD.aspx)

172driver
17th May 2013, 07:44
It's a pity that ForeFlight doesn't have European charts - and with this Jepp product being rolled out, most likely never will :(

peterh337
17th May 2013, 10:44
Check out SkyDemon - massively more useful than either Jepp product.

Does Skydemon offer VFR airport charts for Germany?

stevelup
17th May 2013, 10:57
Yes - the ones from the AIP for free, or the DFS charts which are £69 for an annual subscription.

There are also georeferenced Visual Operation Charts and VFR Terminal Charts in the DFS package.

peterh337
17th May 2013, 11:33
I didn't know Germany published their VFR airport charts for free.

stevelup
17th May 2013, 12:13
As I said, the ones that are in the AIP are available for free - for the rest you need the DFS subscription.

So for example without the DFS subscription, you can get an aerodrome chart for Koln-Bonn, but not the nearby Bonn-Hangelar.

peterh337
17th May 2013, 13:12
Whereas with Jepp you get VFR aerodrome charts for their entire coverage area...

You also get map coverage all the way down to Croatia, Greece, etc.

Years ago I used to do long VFR trips (http://www.peter2000.co.uk/aviation/) with the Jepp Bottlang paper ring binder kit, which was very bulky. This is an improvement, and you get uniform presentation for all countries, whereas the AIP plates vary and some of the stuff is not available.

stevelup
17th May 2013, 13:50
Whereas with Jepp you get VFR aerodrome charts for their entire coverage area...

At what cost though?

glider12000
17th May 2013, 14:22
Europe is €349 for the first year, the renewals are €297.

Obviously smaller country regions are cheaper than this as required. Hope this helps.

Privatecaptain
19th May 2013, 05:49
I am paying € 300,- for Jeppview VFR full Europe for a year. You will get 4 license keys, so you could share the subscription with other flyers and share the costs. I am sharing with 1 other guy and both will be running it on a home PC for planning and printing, and on an IPad for in-flight entertainment......