PDA

View Full Version : Restoration/Scrap Aircraft

RickPhucked
28th Apr 2002, 17:54
I am interested in knowing where abouts I would find old non-flying aircraft/scrap aircraft in restorable conditions, or several aicrafts of similar type which could be dismantled etc etc.

The idea would be to restore a popular light aircraft (i.e a c172, cheaper parts i guess), into a working aircraft.

I've no idea whether im being stupid thinking about doing this, I have engineering knowledge and know a few other experienced engineers, although none of us aircraft engineers (we will try and find someone) but it would be nice to achieve something so great.

On television you often see american scrap yards full of aircraft but i've never heard of this in the uk.

If anyone would be able to help me, or has done this in the past, or can critically comment with all the bad points (i.e im being foolish) then that would be great,

Thanks
Rick

Genghis the Engineer
28th Apr 2002, 18:51
Rick,

I've done this myself, it's slow, frustrating, takes twice as long as you'd expect (at-least) but ultimately got me a good cheap aeroplane.

I wouldn't however even contemplate a C172, reason being that it's on a CofA. If you're looking for a project like this, go for something on a permit - which almost certainly means either a microlight or a PFA homebuilt. There are plenty of projects to be had, some are advertised in the back of Microlight Flying or Popular Flying, other's you can find about by asking around or going to the shows at Popham in May or Cranfield in June.

The rules on parts release and control are much easier to live with for a permit aircraft, you have considerable scope to modify if you need to (which you can't really do at-all on a CofA aircraft), and you have expert advice from the two engineering departments at Deddington and Shoreham for free as you go through the project.

On a technical level, I'd only give two other bits of advice..

(1) Get your hangar/workshop sorted before you take possession of any hardware.
(2) If you are doing anything other than rebuild by straight parts replacement, get the relevant authority (BMAA, PFA and their local inspectors) firmly in the loop before you cut metal.

G

A and C
29th Apr 2002, 18:54
As a licenced engineer and PFA inspector i would like to draw your attention one more time to the last paragraph of the post above.

Genghis writes with much wisdom.