PDA

View Full Version : Overnight at Heathrow

Mallorcaguy
15th May 2013, 14:39
I will be flying into Heathrow on the last flight from Manchester which arrives at 22.55, my next flight leaves at 07.00 the next morning, is it possible to stay overnight at T5 and what can I expect, I know most shops and eateries only open at 05.30. I was going to stay at the Travelodge but the price is ridiculous for a few hours plus the bus transfers on top.
Any suggestions of any quietish areas.
I have asked on the Spectators forum so I do not get bashed for placing it in the wrong place.

Thanks

Need to Know Basis
16th May 2013, 11:51
Sofitel T5.......although if you are moaning about Travelodge price then I assume the only option is walk around T5 all night and avoid the Police looking for overnight squatters ....tight wad !

Heathrow Harry
16th May 2013, 12:55
Currently offering rooms at £ 125 a night but think of the hassle you save

£ 255 at the Hilton at T4

Phileas Fogg
16th May 2013, 13:15
Might the London Underground be running to go and sit it out drinking coffee in an H24 McDonalds down the track some place?

wiggy
16th May 2013, 14:30
I suspect the police might well move you on if you attempt to crash out...

Maybe the T5 Premier Inn might be an option - it's almost as close as the Travelodge and is on a free bus route (the 423).

DaveReidUK
16th May 2013, 14:48
I suspect the police might well move you on if you attempt to crash out...Maybe, maybe not. You can certainly expect to be woken at intervals during the night and asked the reason for your presence, though you may well find that possession of a ticket/boarding card for an 07:00 departure is enough to stop you being turfed out into the cold night air.

The Heathrow website isn't a lot of help. All it says is

There is nowhere to sleep overnight in the [sic] terminal but there's a great choice of hotels nearby

Mallorcaguy
16th May 2013, 15:34
So basically nobody is allowed to stay in the airport, is that correct?
I probably will not sleep anyway, just sit and listen to music on my iphone or do some work on my laptop.
I understand what you are saying about staying at a hotel but it would only be for about four or five hours at the most before I need to return to T5 for my next flight.

SpringHeeledJack
16th May 2013, 16:37
It's always a conundrum when travel plans are outside the norm, especially when it involves longer periods between flights. Some airports in the world have such 'by the hour' rest hotels where you can shower/eat/nap/sleep/work etc. £125 minimum for 5hrs is a bit steep I'd say, perhaps the only real option is as the OP surmises, to sit and wait it out with distractions in the terminal. Good luck :ok:

SHJ

Capetonian
16th May 2013, 16:45
I know this isn't much use to you now, but at LGW there is a 'Yotel' inside the terminal (landside) I've stayed there a couple of times under similar circumstances. Surprisingly comfortable and pleasant although you wouldn't want to stay there for more than 1 or 2 nights, and about £40.

Mallorcaguy
16th May 2013, 16:47
Thanks for you replies, I finally received an email from Heathrow (only been waiting two weeks). they say after going through flight connections and security passengers can wait for their next flight, but they must have a valid boarding card for their next flight. The terminals are open 24 hours a day, but all shops and eateries will be closed until about 05.30.

Helix Von Smelix
16th May 2013, 18:42
Welcome to The Datchet Mead Hotel (http://www.datchetmeadhotel.co.uk/)

wowzz
17th May 2013, 11:53
There is a Yotel at T4 where you can rent a room by the hour [minimum stay 4 hours]
The one at Gatwick is excellent, and I would recommend it strongly.

ConstantFlyer
19th May 2013, 21:27
I have stayed at the YOTEL in Terminal 4. It is fine and good value. Probably the best option for a short night stop. Only hassle is getting from T5 to T4 and back.

Peter47
23rd May 2013, 17:26
Too late for this trip, but try going via AMS. There are two airside hotels, the Mercure (conventional) & Yotel (capsule). It only really works if you are travelling with hand baggage only or can check your baggage through to your final destination as then you don't have to go landside.

The Mercure will cost around £80, Yotel a bit less.