View Full Version : Who can certify a log book?

11th May 2013, 15:54
The conversion requirements for the EASA aerobatics rating require applicants to (amongst other things):-

"(a) provide certified log book evidence of at least 5 hours ofaerobatic flying in aeroplanes or gliders that have airworthiness certification for at least the manoeuvres specified in FCL.800; and..."

Who can certify such logbook entries? Most aerobatic flights will have been done outside of the scope of an RF or ATO, so it might be difficult to find a CFI or head of training willing to do it. Must it be such a person, or can a humble aerobatics instructor like me do it?

11th May 2013, 17:10
It must be the Head of Training as I understand it.

11th May 2013, 19:26
Thanks. I guess i should have registered as a facility when I had the chance, then I could be my own HOT.

11th May 2013, 22:27
You cannot certify your own documents!

11th May 2013, 23:29
I would not be certifying my own log book - I already have the rating. I need to certify the log book entries of one of our Slingsby T67 group members who wants the rating when he gets his EASA licence. Since his aerobatic flights have not been conducted through an RF or ATO (why should they?) it could be a little difficult to get certification. There must be many aerobatic pilots out there in the same situation.

I am hoping that the CFI/HOT of the small school (an RF) I do most of my work forwill do it on the strength of his personal knowledge of the individual backed up by aircraft flight records. Not sure how else this can be done.

I will fly the assessment flight.

12th May 2013, 07:59
They are only certifying that the document is a true copy of the original not for the content, so no personal knowledge is required. In cases where there was no requirement to log specific events then the system is at fault. EASA requires a lot of fudging to make it work, so fudging will become the norm!

12th May 2013, 08:58
Thanks Whopity

They are only certifying that the document is a true copy of the original not for the content

Does this mean that if he takes his original log book to the counter at Gatwick there would be no need for certification?

If so, all he would need are five logged hours of clearly identified aerobatic sorties and my statement that he completed the FCL800 manouvers competently and safely and that he has the requisite theroetical knowledge.

12th May 2013, 10:27
I would like to think so, but when you hear of people who turn up with a passport and are told: "we can only accept a certified copy" one has to question the sanity of the place!

13th May 2013, 07:56
As a HoT that I took my documentation to the counter at Gatwick , they took copies and certified them and I was on my way! I would assume this would apply to anyone.