PDA

View Full Version : ST Aviation Academy to train Qatar Airways MPL cadet pilots

Pages : [1] 2

flying.monkeyz
8th May 2013, 02:14
Qatar Airways MPL Cadet Pilot Programme

This application is open to Singaporeans and Permanent Residents of age 18 above.
No flying experience required.
With at least GCE ‘A’ Level or equivalent preferred (those with 5 GCE ‘O’ Level credits including Math, English and a Science subject may be considered)
Successful candidates will spend up to 18 months on training to acquire a Multi-crew Pilot Licence (MPL) at ST Aerospace Academy in Singapore and overseas.
This is a SELF-SPONSORED PROGRAMME and upon successful completion of training, candidate will be offered employment by Qatar Airways.

If you comply with the above requirements and are interested in a flying career with Qatar Airways, please submit your application to [email protected].

ST Aerospace Academy (STAA) (http://www.staa.com.sg/index.php/courses/multi-crew-pilot-licence-mpl-program/qatar-airways-cadet-training-programme)

Stallone
8th May 2013, 02:30
USD $155,800 (excludes GST)

Qatar Airways MPL Cadet Pilot Programme

Join us for an Information Session on:
Date/Time: 18 May 2013 (Sat), 1pm
Venue: Lee Kong Chian School of Business
Singapore Management University
50 Stamford Road, Level 1 (Seminar Room 1.2)
Singapore 178899

Email to [email protected] with your name and contact number to reserve a place now!

For more information on the admission criteria and application procedure, please visit the following URL ST Aerospace Academy (STAA) (http://www.staa.com.sg/index.php/courses/multi-crew-pilot-licence-mpl-program/qatar-airways-cadet-training-programme)

lofty_dreams
8th May 2013, 03:34
Seriously, which hole can I dig to find that kind of money??

flying.monkeyz
8th May 2013, 04:20
Join BN in Malaysia and you'll be rich in no time.

aeronino
8th May 2013, 05:14
Seems like the middle east is also joining the " pay to fly " scheme. Surprise to see this especially from a 5 star major airline

jack s
8th May 2013, 13:41
QR knows there are plenty of rich kids in Singapore or easy to take student loans against HDB flats

Stallone
9th May 2013, 05:22
QR knows there are plenty of rich kids in Singapore or easy to take student loans against HDB flats

FYI, u can't take loans against your HDB flat.

Only private properties are allowed

HDB flats can no longer be used as collateral (http://www.asiaone.com/Business/My+Money/Property/Story/A1Story20100720-227790.html)

eerie
9th May 2013, 10:33
Page has been updated
"Programme Fees
Price on Application (POA)"

aeronino
10th May 2013, 06:08
Singapore is one of the richest country in the world with more millionaires per space than any other country. To the millionaires, this is small change, when they spend millions on cars and property alone.

There are not many rich people in Singapore BUT there are plenty of wealthy people there.

Getting 100 or 200 people to pay USD 155k? piece of cake

truefaith
10th May 2013, 06:42
This is a SELF-SPONSORED PROGRAMME and upon successful completion of training, candidate will be offered employment by Qatar Airways.
1. Pay the flight training out of own pocket.
2. Not 100% guaranteed to be employed.

Singapore is one of the richest country in the world with more millionaires per space than any other country. To the millionaires, this is small change, when they spend millions on cars and property alone.
ST published nonsense about millionaires in Singapore.

It is true that there are rich people in Singaporea but they may not be Singaporeans.

eerie
10th May 2013, 23:46
I think you have to be selected to enroll in an MPL course. More or less you ve a "job"

jack s
11th May 2013, 03:54
2. Not 100% guaranteed to be employed. .. what if you FAIL the course they should still hire you...
Does any MBA or Univ "guarantee" a job ?

Avantadore
23rd May 2013, 01:50
Was anyone able to attend the information session on the 18th? Able to provide some insights on the programme?

chronos1701
23rd May 2013, 05:11
Not much info to share really. Other than the course is starting in August and Qatar CAA havn't appointed a local medical examiner...

chronos1701
4th Jun 2013, 05:00
Oh.. You got any details about that? Like which batch was affected, or in what way they were misled??

jack s
4th Jun 2013, 08:58
the "story" is the MPL graduates where not hired by Tiger Airways and are now stuck with no jobs.
Thats the reason MPL has failed everywhere...

Stallone
4th Jun 2013, 09:36
there hasn't been any MPL grads from STAA since the very first 6 cadets who graduated in late 2011. All of them were hired.

which MPL grads were u referring to? pls enlighten

LINER
10th Jun 2013, 16:28
This is a scam, utterly mislead not 1 candidate but many, beware when you hear that name and the promises, i personally know 4 of them whose money was taken and training in ballarat is utter rubbish

chronos1701
11th Jun 2013, 04:02
In what way was the training not good? Poor maintenance? Bad scheduling? Lousy instructors?

Crazyfans86
12th Jun 2013, 15:44
least it give people in sg a chance a dream to be able to become a commercial pilot.

chronos1701
12th Jun 2013, 17:08
Hey. It's great that you guys are willing to give us a heads up and warnings about things going wrong at STAA. But it'll be better if you're able to give more info than just "something" happening over there....

Stallone
13th Jun 2013, 05:21
you get these new accounts and "1-post keyboard warriors" suddenly coming in and spouting things like "scams"

go figure it out yourself how much weight do their words carry.

:rolleyes:

jack s
13th Jun 2013, 05:29
STAA MPL does have issues... its a story thats gaining speed.. need to verify it with the current cadets in the system..

flying.monkeyz
13th Jun 2013, 12:11
No flight school is perfect. There are bound to be issues. Even SIA's cadet program at SFC also has plenty of issues.

chronos1701
14th Jun 2013, 06:52
Ya. It'll be great if current STAA cadets can chime in on their experiences over there. Having a bit of problems is one thing. But calling the place a "scam" is taking it to a whole new level. :uhoh:

flying.monkeyz
20th Jun 2013, 05:48
Singapore Technologies Engineering Ltd (ST Engineering) today announced that the commercial pilot training business of its aerospace arm, ST Aerospace Academy (STAA), has been awarded a five-year Multi-crew Pilot Licence (MPL) training contract by Qatar Airways. As a one stop pilot training solutions provider, STAA will undertake the global recruitment and assessment of cadets on behalf of Qatar Airways, as well as customisation of training content for Qatar Airways’ operations. Cadets will undergo STAA’s MPL programme leading to the award of MPL from the Qatar Civil Aviation Authority, for eventual employment with Qatar Airways as Airbus A320 Type Rated First Officers.

The first batch of 36 cadet pilots is expected to commence training in the third quarter of 2013 and graduate in the first quarter of 2015. The subsequent intakes are expected to be similar or higher, depending on Qatar Airways’ operational requirements.

“We are delighted to award this contract to STAA, to equip our students with the skills they need to become competent, professional pilots with a leading commercial airline. The training will also expose our students to a multi-crew cooperation environment and ensure that they are continuously assessed against competencies. As Qatar Airways continues to expand our international route network, a talented pool of well qualified, dedicated pilots is mandatory to support growth. We are convinced that we have found the right training partner in STAA to help us achieve that.”- Captain Suhail Abdul Hameed ISMAEEL, Chief Flight Operations Officer, Qatar Airways

“This contract award from Qatar Airways is a vote of confidence in STAA’s capabilities, and a strong validation of our MPL programme. We are fully committed to support Qatar Airways’ requirement for well qualified pilots, as the airline continues to grow its operations worldwide. In view of the growing pilot demand in the Middle East over the next 20 years, our strong offerings will also serve us well to support customers in this region.”- PEH Teng Keng, President, ST Aerospace Academy

Significantly, this is the second MPL programme for STAA, following its successful completion of the Singapore MPL programme in 2011. STAA pioneered the Singapore MPL programme in partnership with Tiger Airways and with support from the Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore.

Established by the International Civil Aviation Organisation since 2006, MPL is an alternative pathway to obtaining a licence to pilot aircraft for commercial airlines. Unlike traditional pilot training programmes, the competency-based MPL curriculum, through greater use of simulators, engages cadet pilots in a multi-crew cooperation environment from an early stage and integrates threat and error management in all phases of training.

The STAA MPL programme comprises six months of ground school and 13 months of flying training involving four phases. Phase one is conducted at STAA’s flying school at Ballarat in Victoria, Australia, while phases two to four and ground school are conducted at STAA’s headquarters in Singapore which also houses its simulator training centre.

The STAA MPL curriculum stands out by putting cadets into the Airbus A320 simulator environment right from the start of phase two training. This maximises the students’ exposure to flying in a multi-crew environment as well as to the cockpit environment of the aircraft that they will eventually work in. The syllabus also introduces the Airbus A320 cockpit to students progressively, hence allowing them to fully master the principles and practical handling of aircraft systems before Line Oriented Flight Training.

Apart from MPL programmes, STAA offers Commercial Pilot Licence programmes and advanced pilot training courses. Established in 2007, it operates out of Seletar Airport in Singapore and Ballarat Airport. Customers include both individuals as well as airlines such as Hainan Airlines, JuneYao Airlines, Shenzhen Airlines, ShunFeng Airlines, Tiger Airways and Xiamen Airlines.

This contract is not expected to have any material impact on the consolidated net tangible assets per share and earnings per share of ST Engineering for the current financial year.

ST Aerospace Academy launches second MPL programme with five-year contract win from Qatar Airways (http://www.aviatime.com/en/commercial-aviation/commercial-aviation-news/training/8362-st-aerospace-academy-launches-second-mpl-programme-with-five-year-contract-win-from-qatar-airways)

kentytk
21st Jun 2013, 06:07
Just to check anyone that attended the preliminary interview with STAA got the notification to attend the final interview with Qatar air Reps ?

grey_11
21st Jun 2013, 14:01
I imagine lots of people must have applied. Can anyone give an update please?

chronos1701
22nd Jun 2013, 02:36
There's no official notification yet but the interviewers mentioned the Qatar interview is somewhere in July.

Stallone
22nd Jun 2013, 07:54
gd luck to all waiting for notification..

36 is a big number, hopefully ur chances will be higher.

STAA building is almost ready, facilities will be nice n new

Crazyfans86
23rd Jun 2013, 05:11
Heard from the interviewers that after the preliminary rds , there gonna be another added round of interview before the Qatar panel itself..

LINER
23rd Jun 2013, 11:24
Yes, the instructors are rubbish and have a mind of there own, this is a fact, the scheduling is utterly messy, promised ground school is not carried out like the way it is supposed to, & you have to be jobless for 2 years guranteed.

LINER
23rd Jun 2013, 11:26
the only reason i came here cause we are all pilots, want the same thing, not to be a keyboard warrior, just direct it to me without hinting, seems like your a employee of staa, trust me i dont care,wanna bust cash on crap like that, mate go ahead,

kentytk
24th Jun 2013, 13:41
Liner, so u trained with STAA and now which airline are u flying for ?

So did u complete the MPL course with them ?

LINER
24th Jun 2013, 20:21
Pretty sure how yorull got the contract, even the chinese airlines laughed and withheld there contracts, why? because the respected do no know there duties,

LINER
24th Jun 2013, 20:29
i call it SCAM, if i pay for something, i want the exact god dam thing, not excuses. period

kentytk
25th Jun 2013, 00:11
What do u mean when U say that when u pay for something u expect to get what u are paying for ?

I think the question on most of our minds is what exactly wasn't what they had promised ?

At the end of the day, if we do pay for the course, we would not know what we are supposed to expect since we have never taken the course before?

Maybe u want to elaborate further ? u did not graduate or the supposed timeline was longer than expected ?

Are there instances that airline programs ended when the airlines refused to take the cadets ?

These questions are not just for Liner, anyone that knows or have been through the process can probably enlighten most of us here ?

grey_11
25th Jun 2013, 00:53
Agree with kentytk.

Liner, you keep posting and dropping "hints", so I assume you really want to help those applying to this program. If so, please share your experience or knowledge. Justify your claims so we can believe you.

Stallone
25th Jun 2013, 07:05
/facepalm

type properly, and don't speak in riddles.

if you want to be credible.

Crazyfans86
27th Jun 2013, 04:19
well ,

any one has got calls or news for the qatar panels ?

kentytk
27th Jun 2013, 08:46
nothing at the moment, they usually do it very last minute, maybe only one or two days notice. Maybe it serves as a sort of a test for potential candidates in a way ?

Maybe its difficult to coordinate a time with the Qatar reps.

grey_11
27th Jun 2013, 08:57
When did you guys attend the preliminary interview?

I attended mine last week. I got called up for the preliminary interview very soon after the compass test, so I expected to be called for the next interview quickly as well (if I do get selected), but I haven't heard anything. Feeling quite worried at the moment.

I know that many applicants read PPRuNe, so it'll be great if we could all keep each other updated, since we might become classmates soon :ok:

chronos1701
27th Jun 2013, 10:29
My prelim interview was last week. No news on anything else so far.

kentytk
27th Jun 2013, 12:18
My prelim interview was 2 weeks ago on the 13th.

maybe they have just finished the prelim interviews.

good luck everybody! :ok:

Ridge Runner
27th Jun 2013, 15:51
Hi all,

i don't want to be a dampener but is this ST program really going ahead? Rumors r it is not.

RR

Crazyfans86
28th Jun 2013, 01:59
went mine 2 weeks back too.. were told to wait for few weeks didnt expect it to be that long too ..

u guys were told also that there is another one prior the qatar too ?

kentytk
28th Jun 2013, 02:52
Singapore, 18 June 2013 – Singapore Technologies Engineering Ltd (ST Engineering) today announced that the commercial pilot training business of its aerospace arm, ST Aerospace Academy (STAA), has been awarded a five-year Multi-crew Pilot Licence (MPL) training contract by Qatar Airways. As a one stop pilot training solutions provider, STAA will undertake the global recruitment and assessment of cadets on behalf of Qatar Airways, as well as customisation of training content for Qatar Airways’ operations. Cadets will undergo STAA’s MPL programme leading to the award of MPL from the Qatar Civil Aviation Authority, for eventual employment with Qatar Airways as Airbus A320 Type Rated First Officers.

The first batch of 36 cadet pilots is expected to commence training in the third quarter of 2013 and graduate in the first quarter of 2015. The subsequent intakes are expected to be similar or higher, depending on Qatar Airways’ operational requirements.

Just have to wait, don't think they will announce to the media and don't carry out the course.
I saw some cadets when attending the interviews, wonder if they will be joining the selections. What program are they on ? someone knows ?

Crazyfans86
28th Jun 2013, 03:01
if im not wrong, they should be in the CPL batch started couple months back, heard a few will be transit-ing over to the qatar prog

Stallone
28th Jun 2013, 05:44
Those are CPL cadets enrolled into the school

ground school will be similar for CPL and MPL, so if they make it past Qatar's interview, they will be converted into MPL cadets.

everyone has an equal chance

dagger19
28th Jun 2013, 16:38
fierce competition.
lets enjoy the weekend and continue the quest next month. =)

sgcloudchaser
30th Jun 2013, 17:33
are the applicants to this program mostly SQ rejects?
how you guys going to fund the fee?

Stallone
1st Jul 2013, 01:43
haha, i believe every programme has a handful of people who has failed SQ interviews before, unless he is still below 25/26 years of age

flying.monkeyz
1st Jul 2013, 04:17
I won't be surprised if many of the applicants never attended SQ interviews before, given that the last SQ interview was held almost 2 years back.

Crazyfans86
2nd Jul 2013, 06:58
29 more days to aug !

still no calls ....

chronos1701
2nd Jul 2013, 08:01
They must love doing things last minute. Last time they called for interview 3 days in advance.

dagger19
2nd Jul 2013, 14:39
for those who are working, you will be one month your pay poorer on top of your heavy debt if u were to be selected for the program. lol.

grey_11
3rd Jul 2013, 00:56
Probably there won't be enough time between confirmation into the program and start date to give 1 month's notice to employer...

Crazyfans86
3rd Jul 2013, 03:40
yeah .. unless unless you have tons of leave to clear.

and theres 2 more interv after the prelim .. wonder how they going to do that in such a long time frame .. :D:D

Maverick16
4th Jul 2013, 03:31
Any idea what happens in the second interview?

Crazyfans86
6th Jul 2013, 12:52
Yup aug 1st is the starting date, I wonder how they going to rush some much peeps into the last few weeks ...

chronos1701
7th Jul 2013, 13:49
I recall them mentioning trying to start in August but no firm date was given. Could be anywhere in August. Maybe they're trying to take in the current CPL transfers first?? :confused: Just a wild guess...

kentytk
8th Jul 2013, 01:02
Anyone have information of the payment milestones for the course ?

When are we expected to pay and the amount that we have to pay.

STAA's CPL course is $138Kplus into 9 separate installments.

I guessed the MPL course is abit different. Forgot to ask them during the interview.

Stallone
8th Jul 2013, 02:43
Rough break down based on SGD

00 mth - 23k
06 mth - 63k
11 mth - 47k
15 mth - 40k
16 mth - 23k

this is a rough gauge, not confirmed as the course is based on USD, can increase/decrease quite significantly

grey_11
11th Jul 2013, 23:54
Another week with no news ???

Crazyfans86
12th Jul 2013, 05:09
apparently its ramadan in dubai now ..

:}:}

flying.monkeyz
12th Jul 2013, 09:46
And what does Dubai has to do with Qatar?

chronos1701
12th Jul 2013, 17:07
All the gulf states are having Ramadan now. I think office staff work half day everyday during this month...

grey_11
13th Jul 2013, 03:11
Could it be that the interviews are ongoing, just that those of us here are not selected for the next round of interview? :sad::sad::sad:

flying.monkeyz
13th Jul 2013, 03:20
Yup. Sounds like a plausible possibility.

kentytk
13th Jul 2013, 10:36
Rather than waiting indefinitely, think we can be more proactive.

I will email them next week to ask about my status,

grey_11
16th Jul 2013, 00:42
"Final round"?

Does that mean the second round of interview (Qatar + STAA) is over or there isn't such a round?

chronos1701
16th Jul 2013, 01:40
Thanks for the info. I was always under the impressin that there were only 2 interviews....

richard III
16th Jul 2013, 12:11
155k???NASA can come up with an astronaut for that kind of money....there may be rich people in Singapore but they are not stupid, that's why they are rich, why pay 3 times as much for flight training?

kentytk
16th Jul 2013, 14:32
what do u guys gain by posting comments like what u all just did ? :=

negative comments about other people make u feel better ?

I know that the web world is also a free world.... but

Spare a thought for others.

What goes around comes around.

flying.monkeyz
18th Jul 2013, 14:07
Heard from a reliable source that STAA President wants to interview candidates before being interviewed by the Qataris. Maybe this being a new batch for a new client he's being a bit KS.

Stallone
18th Jul 2013, 16:17
woo... CEO Peh is gonna be busy screening so many candidates

grey_11
19th Jul 2013, 04:27
Thanks for the insider info Flying monkeyz.

It's been 1 month of waiting...

sgcloudchaser
20th Jul 2013, 08:19
what are options to find funding for self sponsored ab initio programs like staa/cae3k/ctc which total up to nearly 200k sgd? other from own savings and family loan

kentytk
20th Jul 2013, 10:18
I think that if one does not have too much savings, then it will be hard to fund for the course.
Most local banks don't recognize flight training fees as educational loans.
The bank that STAA recommends is RHB bank, but they are only willing to lend up to 6 times monthly salary or $100,000 which ever is lower.
So be prepared to source for the remaining $100,000 and that is excluding the expenses that cadets will incur while being jobless for 18 months. :ugh:

Wondered how did the first batch of MPL cadets for tigerairways funded their training.

smiling monkey
20th Jul 2013, 15:16
Welcome to the industry. Those of us who have been there and done that, fully understand your dilemma of how to go about funding your career. Only difference is that it didn't cost me (nor my counterparts) that kind of money for training in the past. In today's value, it would have been 1/4 of what you guys have been asked to pay, but then again, you're pretty much assured of a job at the end of it unlike those of us who invested in our careers with nothing but hopes and dreams of a job at the end of training. Those who persisted, make it in to the airlines; those that didn't, fall away by the wayside. That's the harsh reality of the aviation industry. Welcome to the jungle. :)

sgcloudchaser
21st Jul 2013, 09:35
indeed, financing for a career in flying is one obstacle, esp for self funding programs.
for sq funded guys, there are bonds and refund partial of the training cost when they get their paycheck. but they also get allowance. it is definitely ease off the challenge without financing as a sideway headache.

if most banks does not recgonise flight training for education loan then i wonder how many can start sign up for the courses even they are picked, other than those who probably have family financial, earned alot and saved alot in earlier jobs, or probably sell hdb and take whatever profit to plough into the unknown jungle.

Stallone
22nd Jul 2013, 15:19
I believe a number of u have already received the call from STAA today about the second round of interview

Crazyfans86
23rd Jul 2013, 05:50
who are the peeps for the second panels ?

Any qatar officials involveD?

dagger19
23rd Jul 2013, 14:59
its said to be conducted by the STAA management, and there will be a 3rd round by the qatar representatives if u are shortlisted.

sgcloudchaser
24th Jul 2013, 14:38
mind sharing those who going for Qatar program, what's your age range? royboy are you only 22? :rolleyes:

kentytk
26th Jul 2013, 11:57
Can anyone shed some light about the interviews that will be conducted by the CEO ?

Will it take place only next week ? meaning to say those that are not inform by today means that they are not short listed ?

Trying to cling on to the hope that there is another interview the week after next.

chronos1701
29th Jul 2013, 02:59
Looking at the other QR threads, it seems that waiting for QR is a common occurrence. I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing is happening now. :rolleyes:

abysseria
29th Jul 2013, 09:04
Yup, CaptRoyBoy is right. If you notice their scheduling, they're trying to fix them during lunch and after hours.

dagger19
3rd Aug 2013, 15:35
I suppose that you mean 1st week of oct.

there will be 2 batches selected from the current pool for selection, i infer all 38 candidates will be chosen, and the batches are scheduled in oct and dec.

dagger19
4th Aug 2013, 02:34
that was what i heard from him.

if your interview was later than last tuesday, maybe you had a more updated information on the selection process status. I was told that the qatar panel interview is expected to be latest, in mid sept.

nswoosh
6th Aug 2013, 06:45
Im with dagger19 on this one. I heard CEO Peh mention that the Qatar panel interview is to be held somewhere in Sept with the course due to begin on 1st Oct. There will be 2 batches for the ATPL theory course. One in Oct and one in Dec...

Cheers

dagger19
6th Aug 2013, 17:15
CaptRoyBoy, you got an email of what? your qatar interview query or an invitation of the qatar interview?

grey_11
12th Aug 2013, 02:45
Could you guys share what questions you were asked at the interview with CEO?

How many people were shortlisted for this round? :}

yannisoar
12th Aug 2013, 07:52
Hi grey_11

When are you scheduled for your interview with STAA's CEO?

sgcloudchaser
12th Aug 2013, 18:08
Is class 1 medical required before the final interview?

chronos1701
13th Aug 2013, 00:09
They said you must have the class 1 before the course starts.

nswoosh
13th Aug 2013, 00:32
Thats not what i heard. From what i know, Qatar has yet to designate a Medical Examiner in Singapore. You can do your own medical if you need a guage.

grey_11
13th Aug 2013, 02:23
Hi yannisoar,

I haven't been scheduled for CEO interview. I'm still waiting and praying for that call.... :ugh: how about you?

yannisoar
13th Aug 2013, 02:53
Hi grey_11,

Have you contacted STAA yet? As far as I know, the CEO interviews were done 2 weeks ago over a 3 day period. Maybe they might be another round but would be best to call them or email to ask.

grey_11
13th Aug 2013, 04:41
Yeah. I was told that I'm in the "holding pool". So hoping I still stand a chance....

yannisoar
13th Aug 2013, 07:54
As far as I know, there is an Oct batch and Dec batch. could the holding pool be for the December batch which is why they need not do the interviews so quickly?

abysseria
13th Aug 2013, 10:01
hey grey_11,

there were CEO interviews that were held a couple of weeks back but some of ours were rescheduled for the coming week. There is a possibility that the holding pool is indeed for the december batch so sit tight stay hopeful. All the best guys!

grey_11
14th Aug 2013, 02:32
Hi abysseria,

That's great to know! All the best for your interview :ok:

Can those who have gone through the interview kindly give us a rough idea of what kind of questions were asked?

N5748E
14th Aug 2013, 06:06
They could ask anything under the sun, here are 5 I got asked;

1. Tell us about your family
2. What is an incipient stall
3. Tell me the difference of a A330 and 777 and how you'll tell them apart just by looking at them
4. Take 100 and subtract 7 and tell me the outcome all the way till I tell you to stop
5. Tell us a scenario where you "cooled down" a possible scenario from turning ugly.

Bonus question(always asked if you are Singaporean)
Tell us about what you did in national service that gave you a leadership or team working role.

chronos1701
3rd Sep 2013, 11:58
Hey guys. You have any updates on what's going on after the CEO interview? It seems to be pretty quiet with no news from them...

wonderland
5th Sep 2013, 05:33
School is in a mess at the moment, the last thing they want to do is get more people in. They're probably stalling you guys till they sort out what ever is going on in Ballarat now, and their ground school in Singapore. They need to sort out the back log before moving on to new things. Best advice is to talk to people in the system now.

dagger19
7th Sep 2013, 17:30
did u even have your status of the 2nd ST interview?

bryanpzw
8th Sep 2013, 17:24
Hey guys

Just to shed some light.

Received an email titled "SG11 pre course commencement briefing (qatar shortlisted candidates)"

So those that have passed the CEO's interview should have been sent this.

These bunch of people like me are now just awaiting Airline panel interview. STAA has offered a no frills 'free trial' for us while we are waiting. So we can choose to start in the CPL ground school first and when we pass QR interview we will switch over to QR MPL course. Take note that SG11 is the CPL batch.

One thing that frightens me is why QR is moving so slowly. From Aug to Sept to Oct. A 3 month delay. I really hope its not reflective of how they do things normally.

Anyone with further inputs please feel free.

N5748E
8th Sep 2013, 22:37
As mentioned by wonderland, do consult students in the program about the current "health" of STAA, it's no secret that the school's infrastructure is unable to cope, 150 cadets are in Ballarat now, some barely getting to fly.

dagger19
9th Sep 2013, 12:34
bryanpzw, does it mean those who arent offered for cpl course are not shortlisted?

is there any commitment for the cpl course? are u forced to continue the course if u are rejected by qatar eventually?

things are moving too slowly to seem that this might be a scam haha.

Stallone
9th Sep 2013, 14:55
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/q71/s720x720/1234407_720528551296765_888854470_n.jpg

Qatar's first A380 almost ready

pilotchute
9th Sep 2013, 17:18
Bryan,

Qatar have interviewed people for SO and FO not that long ago, told them they were successful and then just didn't give them a start date. Second Officer recruitment at Qatar has now been replaced by this MPL scheme. They aren't going down this route because they think they will be getting the best of the best, merely people with deep pockets who they can make a buck out of with a horrendously overpriced Cadetship.

Get used to being kept in the dark and having the plan change every week. They don't care about you. You aren't wanted in the Middle East. You are needed to fly airplanes as they cant get enough locals to do it. Or in this case find locals crazy enough to pay for training. When you are no longer required you will be thrown to one side and left to fend for yourself.

An MPL licence should only be a little bit more expensive than a fATPL. This course is equal to $160,000 USD. Someone is taking home a huge chunk of your money as it isn't being used for flight training.

You can get an A320 rating in the US now for around $9000 USD. That is for 34 hours in the sim with a partner. So using those figures, the money you give Qatar should buy you around 600 hours in the A320 sim.

SIX HUNDRED HOURS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Still think its value for money?

wonderland
10th Sep 2013, 00:34
Here's the scary bit, if you go for the Qatar course, you won't be getting a CAAS license which means you are stuck with a license you can't do anything with if Qatar airways decides for some reason you are not needed by them

pilotchute
10th Sep 2013, 09:54
Captroy,

I know that wanting to fly is a passion for many people. I also know in Singapore only a lucky few get the chance to pursue the passion. The question is when is the price being asked just too much to pay?

I did a quick calculation on the repayments and came up with a figure of $1600 USD a month for the next 15 years for $150,000 USD.

This equates to a pay back figure of $290,000 USD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is any job worth that?

wonderland
16th Sep 2013, 05:22
Good luck with that :)

pilotchute
16th Sep 2013, 07:45
Captroy,

Banks have this magical thing called interest. Depending on how you borrow the money depends greatly on how much interest you pay. I used 9% as a rough figure. Now that was based on a second mortgage scenario which in reality would just bump up your pay back sum on your existing mortgage so the figure would actually be much higher than the one I stated.

Would any budding economists care to chime in?

N5748E
16th Sep 2013, 08:59
In Singapore the only bank willing to loan you close to the amount you need is RHB bank and the most they are willing to go is SGD100,000 as long as you can get up to 6 sureties with a combined income of SGD$17,000 mthly.

Either that or pray mommy and daddy has $185,000 in loose change.

purplehearts
16th Sep 2013, 16:27
I think you can get 5-6% interest with the local banks.

Of course, it's a very worthwhile deal if your parents are rich and you pay 0% interest. 2 years worth of paycheck will more than cover it all. Free game afterwards.

Compounded interest will kill you, I suggest you commit majority of your salary to repaying the loan rather than spend on comforts of life as you will end up paying much more than you think you paid if the interest is compounded over the years. Good luck if you are planning to get married or buying a house.

flying.monkeyz
21st Sep 2013, 16:20
Just wondering if anyone has started sitting in on the "free trial" month-long ground school that was previously mentioned? If so, any comments so far??

wonderland
22nd Sep 2013, 23:24
Correct me if I'm wrong but I heard rumors they used senior cadets to teach the new cadets because of a lack of instructors, I may be wrong but that's what I heard.

flying.monkeyz
23rd Sep 2013, 04:02
Hmmm... interesting. Anyone already in STAA care to confirm if this is true?

Stallone
23rd Sep 2013, 07:28
senior cadets haven't even complete their ATPLs, I wonder where they find the time and energy to teach these "new cadets"

they have themselves to worry about, I don't think any of them can teach anything

flying.monkeyz
23rd Sep 2013, 22:48
Exactly. I can't imagine CAAS ever giving green light to that. Every ground instructor has to obtain CAAS' blessing to teach.

N5748E
24th Sep 2013, 00:22
Is it me or is this course taking forever to get off the ground?

nswoosh
24th Sep 2013, 01:06
yup way too long. The final interview should have been done early sept and the course was supposed to begin on the 1st of October. Yet still no news on either.

SFC172N
24th Sep 2013, 04:16
At $200k per student net of living expenses, might as well get 10 cadets to buy two used turbo prop planes to start a airline flying to regional destinations or for charter.

N5748E
24th Sep 2013, 06:45
$200k for a turboprop, maybe another $180,000 for the AOC. And maybe another $10,000-$20,000 for Joanne Peh to jump like a moron on TV for "Sleazy Air".

flying.monkeyz
25th Sep 2013, 02:48
Purplehearts - Were you a STAA Cadet before?

wonderland
25th Sep 2013, 03:46
Wow, so the rumors were true. Were these senior cadets getting paid? I hope they were...

flying.monkeyz
25th Sep 2013, 04:04
Would you know if that's still happening?

Stallone
25th Sep 2013, 04:38
i believe the "senior cadets" are those which have at least already passed their ATPLs or had graduated with a CPL/IR, not the current cadets that have not even passed their ATPLs.

wonderland
25th Sep 2013, 05:13
It's an even more nightmarish story about the private candidates at STAA.

flying.monkeyz
25th Sep 2013, 09:19
It's an even more nightmarish story about the private candidates at STAA.

What do you mean by that? What's the nightmarish story?

flying.monkeyz
26th Sep 2013, 02:08
CaptRoyBoy,

Would you be able to comment on the ground school so far? How are the lessons, work load, teaching quality, instructors, etc etc etc.

Thanks!

SFC172N
30th Sep 2013, 02:59
No news from those attending the pre commencement course? Have the Qatar guys head down for interviews yet?

N5748E
30th Sep 2013, 03:37
Heard from a fairly reliable source the Qatar cse might not be happening after all...

flying.monkeyz
30th Sep 2013, 14:02
My source tells me the course is going to start sometime in October. So let's see who's right.

N5748E
1st Oct 2013, 03:29
October just hit. A month is quite fast. When I joined my cadetship, we signed on the dotted line in June, g sch started in mid sept. So that's a rough gauge for you.

Stallone
1st Oct 2013, 03:38
contract signed, news article published

it will not be called off, this is not a game FYI

N5748E
1st Oct 2013, 04:33
Noted with thanks. Hope you guys enjoy ground school more then I did.

pilotchute
1st Oct 2013, 04:48
Stallone,

Yes it is a game and it can be called off anytime they want. You have no rights when dealing with Middle East based companies. If they want to pull the plug halfway through I'm sure they will.

N5748E
1st Oct 2013, 04:54
Pilot chute is right, that's a very well known story. Don't trust what the flying schools tell you, even CTC is having their own issues, Oxford, STAA, all have their flaws.

The only flying school that is close to perfect is AFS, that's becos their main goal is to churn out pilots and not revenue.

CodyBlade
1st Oct 2013, 08:45
''If they want to pull the plug halfway through I'm sure they will.''

Ha,ha you guys are new here right?

The "self sponsored" rating changed the whole game for the big boys.

i.e if there are WBTE greenhorns willing to pa 200k for a lic why should we pay?

Stone_cold
1st Oct 2013, 14:52
There is plentiful information out there already to deter "pilot hopefuls" from joining this airline , much less being bonded for several years , however you hopefuls dismiss this now as will the future hopefuls .You read and listen to only what you want . So continue to disregard the bad and listen to the "rosy " stories , if you can find any.

N5748E
1st Oct 2013, 23:20
I think that is refered to as "confirmation biase". You'll learn that soon enough in Human Performance & Limitations, one of the 14 ATPL theory subjects... :ugh:

purplehearts
2nd Oct 2013, 05:44
Well I guess that's how it is everywhere. Young and hopeful wannabes walking in laughing thinking life is a bed of roses. Older and wiser ones who have experienced being screwed are more negative and pessimistic. The youngsters want no part being with the dreary old men since they don't want their lovely bubble dream world popped. The oldies are just annoyed listening to the youngsters naive words and stupidity and their refusal to protect themselves.

I have been on both sides of the coin and in several different situations and there really is no reconciliation for both parties :p. Just let the hopeful go through with it and learn the hard way growing up to be grumpy old men. It's not like the naive will enjoy listening to you or thank you for bursting their bubble. So why bother creating friction and discomfort... Just take whatever you want out of any situation and live life the way you want it. What happens to the others other really doesn't affect you

SFC172N
2nd Oct 2013, 08:41
Dear Shortlisted Applicants of the Qatar Airways MPL Cadet Pilot Programme,

We sincerely apologise for the waiting period of your scheduled airline interview.

Please be informed that the airline interview will be conducted between 28th – 30th October 2013.

We will inform you of your respective interview timeslots in a separate email a week before the interview date.

A pre-briefing session will be held prior to the airline interview. More details will be made available to you.

If there are any changes to your decision in continuing with the selection, appreciate if you could notify me via email.

Should you require any further clarifications, please feel free to contact me.

flying.monkeyz
2nd Oct 2013, 11:53
All the best and please share details of the interview if possible!

purplehearts
2nd Oct 2013, 15:34
Hey Hey CaptRoyBoy I'm on your side. I was and probably still am a hopeful dreaming that everything will be fine but still incredibly fearful of what the future might hold. But I'm abit older and wiser now but I know nothing would have stopped me from doing what I did when I was younger. It's not just in aviation. I bought into the government's hype about life sciences and then health sciences in the past and pursued in that area strongly as a bright eyed bushy tailed freshie despite some warning from my teachers, only to do a complete switch after spending years in school learning about the truth :p. And who knows what the end result of this jump will be...

My point is there is no point pouring negativity to the wannabes who obviously do not want to hear anything like that. We all only wanna hear the good stuff damnit! You couldn't have stopped me from doing what I wanted in the past and I don't see how a few pprune posts will stop you or anyone from applying from Qatar. So go ahead, learn the hard way, that's what I do!~ Let us make the mistakes and grow, hopefully we have the capacity to recover if it is truly a mistake.

Though, I hope you do heed advice from old seniors and protect your ass as much as you can. I know nothing about Qatar and I can't tell you much there, I just find it amusing to read the oldies pour negativity while the youngsters put up the hopeful words and both are having none of the other's words:p. Really quite funny from a third party perspective.

I guess it's part of growing older, you just care lesser about changing the world and making the world right, and just want to see things flow

flying.monkeyz
2nd Oct 2013, 20:19
Dear SFC172N,

Are you one of those who are attending the trial lesson?

wonderland
2nd Oct 2013, 23:35
Wow, looks like this has become a "soul-searching" or "Disney movie happy ending" thread.

If you ask me my opinion, we've reached the turning point in aviation, back in the old guard days (my time), most of us got into the airlines through airline sponsored cadetships, or transitioned after a long career in the air forces, coast guard, etc.

It was a very prestigious industry, now, we are seeing it being watered down and diluted to the point where people are "paying to work", and airlines/ schools are taking advantage of that. Flight duty periods are stretched, crew rest are brought down to the way minimum, MEL/CDL are stretched, and it's only getting worse.

Want a career in aviation? I always recommend joining the Air Force first, no other cadet program pays you a full salary while on training. Especially in Singapore, because the CAAS/RSAF conversion is so easy and quick.

flying.monkeyz
3rd Oct 2013, 01:21
I too recommend the Air Force. Unfortunately not everyone makes the cut. So after giving it a try, the next best option is the paid program.

Stallone
3rd Oct 2013, 03:14
Getting into air force is tough, remaining in the air force is even tougher

N5748E
3rd Oct 2013, 03:39
If it were not tough, everyone would be a pilot. There is a certain calibre required for this job, sadly, not everyone has it.

Stallone
3rd Oct 2013, 03:47
well then the gd thing is the calibre needed of a fighter pilot is way higher than a commercial pilot, at least physically as far as G is concerned.

that being said, not all fighter pilots can be a commercial pilot. Some have attitude problems working in multi-crew environment

purplehearts
3rd Oct 2013, 06:46
Haha well right now the discussion seems to be in the consensus that Everyone can be a pilot as long as they are healthy physically and Especially financially healthy! lol.

Attitude wise, I guess if you aren't messed up enough to survive singapore's education system you should be able to make it.

N5748E
3rd Oct 2013, 07:20
Thanks to the Sg education system, I'm trained to believe the world evolves around men in white shirts.

SFC172N
3rd Oct 2013, 10:06
Yes I'm one of the final interview cadets, didn't take much effort to get here. Despite so, it is a very risky option; look at the European Qatar cadets. If they do that to the ang mos, they won't think twice when it comes to Asians.

Too much of Top Gun and RSAF commercials is bad for your mental health, most common expression is "this is not what I expected". You should have seen the amount of people waiting to get out or trying to jump over to SQ.

There is no mention of any trial ground school, even if they offered me; I will respectfully decline. No point in that on both parties.

Those guys in Tiger and Jetstar Asia would be the real winner in this age of self sponsorship.

pilotchute
3rd Oct 2013, 11:32
SFC,

Are you saying the ability to pay may have been the only hurdle to jump over? You make it sound like they are just happy to have people sign up!

SFC172N
3rd Oct 2013, 18:17
@pilotchute: I'm not saying ability to pay is the only hurdle, other than paying you will need the following:

- Good eyesight, Medically fit
- Able to do simple maths and basic reasoning
- Have the aptitude, or atleast willing to wayang

Well I guess that's about it. Oh and on that part on "You make it sound like they are just happy to have people sign up!"

Not to worry, Singapore lots of rich people. They can still take their pick of best amongst those who can afford.

PNY
4th Oct 2013, 06:03
Singaporeans may certainly not be rich people but the young men and women I see in the STAA program have every bit of clothing they wear to all the money they have in their pockets given to them from Mommy & Daddy.

It's their parents that have earned this money, yet they feel they have an entitlement, most heavily smoking during class breaks wearing white aviator shirts with the STAA shoulder bars, embarrassing their entire cohort, many airlines in the western hemisphere have a no smoking policy, for a career that is all too important to have a healthy life style dreaming about the bit jet they plan on piloting.

Not one is doing it on their own, not one is really informed as to what they are getting themselves into, not one of them has yet to really impress me.

Sad what this industry has turned into, go ahead and gamble your parents money away, after all NONE of you earned it in any way what so ever... why should you care... in typical Singapore style it all about SELF... Happy Landings!

Stallone
4th Oct 2013, 07:02
the smoking needs to be cut, that is true :oh::oh::oh:

flying.monkeyz
4th Oct 2013, 08:10
Why do I get this impression that self-sponsored candidates are being demonized and condemned to a point that they don't deserve to be pilots? Are they all hopeless and can't study and be trained? It is because of the profession? According to the latest fee schedule at NUS, the fee for Degree of Medicine is SGD123,050. Should we condemn self-sponsored medicine students too?

It's not their fault that some has access to more financial resources than others, but that doesn't make them any less competent.

It certainly feels like there's a strong sense of sour-ness here.

wonderland
4th Oct 2013, 08:38
Wow, I loved what this thread has become. And does the bickering get you into the right hand seat? Don't think so. Let's keep this thread on the magenta and stop deviating...

PNY
4th Oct 2013, 14:05
The self-sponsored candidates need not be demonized and condemned and I am not sour because I was flying airplanes long before most of you were even conceived.

What they need to realize is the idea of getting into the right seat, even in a small country such as Singapore with limited aviation opportunities, is something that should be earned by hard work and personal responsibility.

Enough with the hog wash, NS does not make you a man when you still have to live with Mommy & Daddy, (boys to men is a joke) WHY not make your own way in life...

My postings will not help, you will still buy your way and this industry will bring in a host of embarrassing future pilot's who have no shame but to smoke in public in uniform...

The famed aviator Charles Lindergh personally fired pilot's at Pan American World Airways for smoking in public but with your young ages it is unlikely that you even heard of Pan American World Airways or Charles Lindbergh... if STAA cadets want to have a chance for an ounce of respect STOP insulting our industry by smoking in public in uniform... you are being watched... forget being a Pilot, even without the STAA program, has any of you made it in life on your own???

N5748E
4th Oct 2013, 14:20
Was the smoking at seletar or YBLT? Saw a couple of them smoking in WSSL but never really bothered me, you should go to the basement in T3 and see all the tech crews and Kerbayas smoking at the taxi stands...

Filthy habit though, takes years of your life...

flying.monkeyz
4th Oct 2013, 16:56
Well, let's face it. Gone are the days where airlines will sponsor cadets fully when they can get them to pay. That's the way the industry is going and it's only a matter of time before SQ does the same. Is it ideal? Probably not. But when you look at how much it will save them, hey, at the end of the day, SQ is just another commercial entity trying to make money and not some charity organisation. So time to embrace the change.

As far as smoking goes, there will be cadets from any flight school that will smoke. I've seen my fair share of SFC cadets smoking also. And I still remember back in 2003 on an SQ flight to PEK, the flight was delayed for some reason and the captain was happily puffing away in the cockpit with the cockpit window open.

Over at STAA's ground school which shares the same premise as the ATR Training Centre, almost all the ATR pilots on their type course, including Captain Herve the Chief Instructor at ATR Singapore, smoke. The SFC Flight Instructors smoke in their uniforms. My Head of Training, CFI, Flight Instructors all smoke like chimneys.

I don't smoke personally and I hate the smell myself. But if smoking is insulting to the industry, then what about drinking?

SFC172N
4th Oct 2013, 18:15
No money, sure cannot make it. Got money, also doesn't mean you'll get in.
Those selected with access to funding have a easier way out, those without funding can also take the hard way of becoming a instructor, ferry pilot, turboprop jockey before eventually moving up into a jet. Or find another job u excel in and eventually buy your own plane or take up flying lessons.

Just worry about getting in, why even bother if existing cadets are smoking or doing whatever they want with their life and/or their parents rich or not. This world isn't fair anyway, deal with it. What if you are on the other side, will you be saying the same meritocracy bs now?

N5748E
4th Oct 2013, 21:27
Hotel Tango Hotel Tango - heart to heart talk.

SFC172N, shoulder to cry on or a d*** to ride on... Hahahaha, that catchphrase is beautiful.

PNY
5th Oct 2013, 06:31
Just my 2 cents here, I soloed way back in 1980 when I was 16 years old, seems not too long ago, and what I have seen become of this industry is a sick shame...

The ultimate prestige that the profession use to have will never return....

As far as money, with the sacrifices I have made with studying, hard work and personal responsibility and the failed relationships, living on 3 different continents, and eventually having a marriage that lasts, I can tell you I can honestly say it was NOT worth it...

I leave this forum now, I can see the negativity as I write this, someday you too will feel it and ask yourself was it all worth it... and on top of that you did all with Mommy and Daddy money, you may feel you had no choice but somehow I just don't feel that way... God bless and good luck!

flying.monkeyz
6th Oct 2013, 03:34
Hopefully the negativity stops there too.

SFC172N
16th Oct 2013, 12:00
We will inform you of your respective interview timeslots in a separate email a week before the interview date.

A pre-briefing session will be held prior to the airline interview. More details will be made available to you.

If there are any changes to your decision in continuing with the selection, appreciate if you could notify me via email.

Should you require any further clarifications, please feel free to contact me.

flying.monkeyz
16th Oct 2013, 14:53
Good luck!

Stallone
18th Dec 2013, 23:11
STAA has started calling people up for the final interview at end of this month

skylark89
24th Dec 2013, 16:20
i guess people are missing the point of flying right now... Screw the glamour and prestige and all that.. I fell in love with aviation when i was a kid riding on a 747 with KLM to indonesia. Seeing the size of that behemoth beast soaring through the skies is a marvel and wonderful sight by itself.

for me, i'd gladly fly for free. Because it is what i LOVE doing - Soaring through the clouds gliding with the angels up above..

Eitherways, all the best to everyone here who applied. :)

Maverick16
24th Dec 2013, 20:47
Have the Qatar panel interview dates been confirmed? When are they? How many interviews this time round and over how many days?

Maverick16
31st Dec 2013, 17:58
After waiting 6 months and many interview cancellations later, turns out that Qatar Airways suddenly comes up with a requirement that one has to be between the ages of 18-27 to join the program, so I'm automatically axed from the program. Guess what the applicants in Europe said about the airline's system of recruitment is true after all!

SFC172N
1st Jan 2014, 04:56
Scheduled interviews for mid Jan.

Don't quote me on that, high chance delay again.

Twinotterguy
1st Jan 2014, 11:52
Many airlines still have fully sponsored pilot training programs even today, its just that most of them are not well known or its being avilable to only their local citizens. Few years ago I was fully sponsored by my airline, the airline never wanted me to repay the training cost all that was agreed mutually was to work with them 5 years and till today they are sponsoring young boys and girls who done really well at school and moreover the airline gives extra allowance for the students who comes from financially difficult background . What I am trying to prove here is that not everywhere it works the same and most of you should always have a contrasting prespective rather that generalising the negativity.

If your dream is really to fly then work for it, most of you are young and dynamic so take advantage of your age to work for it. Ive met captain and FO who are flying big jet now have once cleaned planes, washed plates in restaurants, doing 2 tto 3 odd jobs a day and gave their high paying jobs to chase their dreams. The world we live in is not easy to survive however where there's a will there is a way.

czech85
2nd Jan 2014, 15:05
I believe before anything takes place, Even before interviews or selection test, they should already agreed on the requirements before STAA signed the dot with Qatar a few months ago. But telling at the last minute is really unacceptable. Anyway, I am axed too coz I am 1 month over the age limit. Quite unreasonable But Maybe there a reason for it. To all those who wasn't rejected, May the force be with you :)

Maverick16
2nd Jan 2014, 17:21
During the briefing in July, someone asked what the age limit was for the program and the speaker very confidently mentioned there was no limit - even if you were 45 and the airline liked you, you could be selected. Anyways, the ball is in Qatar Airways' court and Qatar airways is probably STAA's worst client so far, but at the same time, I don't think STAA would want to lose them.

skylark89
7th Feb 2014, 10:19
so has this program started already?

dl_88
7th Feb 2014, 13:23
according the the straits time, it should start next month

flying.monkeyz
8th Feb 2014, 12:29
03 March to be exact.

nizzatelrooy
14th May 2014, 13:12
anyone signed up for the upcoming june/sept 2014 intake for qatar airways mpl programme??

Skhehe
3rd Jun 2014, 15:56
I'm due to be enrolled for the upcoming June intake which starts this Monday, the 9th, but I haven't signed the contract yet, due to conflicting views about the legitimacy of this program, and also the difficulty of securing a bank loan for such an astronomical sum of money. I've seen so much negativity about this that I am seriously re-considering whether I should put pen to paper when it comes to the contract signing this Monday.

For those who do not know, let me break down the course fees for you:

Total course fees(excluding miscellaneous fees AND applicable GST) : USD155800

9 Payments/"Milestones" (approx, excluding GST):
1) USD 17312(within 7 days upon contract signature)
2-9) USD 17311 (every 2 months)

As of now, I really do not know what to do. Should I pursue this, or just let it go?:confused: (No FROZEN references intended)

Skhehe
3rd Jun 2014, 22:19
The next intake in September, following the June intake.

pongg51
7th Jun 2014, 04:29
after attending the final interview briefing I was told that Qatar would not grant me a final interview due to my personality test as it shows "serious concerns" :S Oh well. Good luck to you Skhehe!

ambitious korean
31st Aug 2014, 03:13
I saw that this minimum education on STAA Qatar website.

Education: Minimum of a high school graduation with an average of 85% or its equivalent. (Science stream)

But when I receive the mail from STAA, the limitation is change. that is under one

Education: At least GCE ‘A’ Level, Diploma or equivalent preferred

which one is correct? And If the upper one is correct, I'm not science stream but I have Physics,earth science,and intergrated science grade. is it considerabla?

flying.monkeyz
1st Sep 2014, 12:49
The latest from the company is correct.

ronaldtng
2nd Sep 2014, 03:51
anyone applying for dec intake?

theswedishguy
15th Sep 2014, 01:37
@ronaldtng

I'm unsure, to be honest I'm getting a bit worried reading this thread so far.

How's the 2013 qatar mpl class doing? How many interviews where they?

Anyone who knows if I need NRIC/Student Visa and CASA class 1 before mailing my application, or can I get it after the application has been approved?

I'm a Swede, currently holding an EASA medical class 1, found a medical examiner in UK who can issue CASA and QCAA medicals, but it's not cheap... would appreciate some answers before this wheel starts spinning.

Take care

Veins101
27th Sep 2014, 16:05
theswedishguy - why would you consider coming here for flight school? I don't think you need a NRIC to apply. But it's best if you check with the school that you are applying to directly.

statix
3rd Nov 2014, 13:24
Anyone currently in STAA doing their ATPL? Can Pm me? Thanks!

skylark89
16th Nov 2014, 00:50
anyone here due to start for qatar 4 intake?

Pravin1
4th Jan 2015, 05:20
Hi there, any advice on what to expect at the QR compass test at STAA? Is it very similar to CAEOAA's?

ambitious korean
12th Jan 2015, 03:32
When I recieved the E mail from STAA, It said GCE A level. But GCE O level is also consider written in STAA web site. Is it correct? And GCE O level is same as GCSE 5 C level. I have a grade same as GCE O Level. GCSE C above level. Am I selected by STAA?

AviateNavigateComm
10th Mar 2015, 04:12
If you're still wondering, the requirements do state high school education is the minimum requirement, but when I went there for the Compass Test & interview (I'm from Malaysia), they told me that they need minimum A Levels, diploma or equivalent. Luckily I had a diploma so all was well for me. They mentioned that high school for Qatar means A levels or equivalent, or "upper secondary school". That wasn't very clear at all considering that high school in Malaysia meant SPM/O Levels equivalent. The website stated high school equivalent but the brochures they had there said GCE A Levels / Diploma or equivalent.

Anyway, I got there (it's pretty isolated, had to take a cab there from the city, about SGD20), they checked all my documents, made copies, took me to the room to do the compass and aptitude test, normal, fine. I was told that I passed and to return the following day for my interview.

Here's my mistake, I did not bring a suit as I thought it was a big hassle to bring a suit there as I didn't have any baggage allowance. This was a noted mistake that I will never repeat again. I also read up on Qatar Airways and the history of it but in front of the panel from STAA for some reason I just blanked out. So, another point against me. But all was well, was told that my answers were good and appropriate, just that in future please wear a suit and read up more on the airline that I wish to join. Questions were pretty basic, just to get to know me and see how I answer. Tell them about myself, tell them about Qatar Airways, why do I want to join Qatar Airways, What are my plans if I don't get accepted, and the more common Why do you want to be a pilot.

So I left, and just got the email saying that I passed the interview by the STAA panel, and to return to Singapore mid of May for the final interview with the Qatar panel (I did the interview last Friday).

So far experience was good :ok: , school seemed pretty quiet but the classes probably were carried out on the upper floors and I was there at about 10am so obviously everyone was in class. Did not manage to meet other cadets, just a couple of other candidates for the interview (1 guy and 1 girl). If there are any other candidates going for the interview roaming around the forum, feel free to PM me to keep in touch :ok:

ambitious korean
10th Mar 2015, 08:32
Then, you mean If i don't have Diploma or above, STAA must not select me? 5 GCSE C Grade is not valid with STAA?

AviateNavigateComm
12th Mar 2015, 07:39
GCSE is equivalent to A levels correct? In my country, A levels is considered upper secondary level, which is what they are looking for. I'm not sure if they will accept 5 C's or not, as normally they would want high grades in Maths and English normally. Have you tried sending them an email to ask? You can still make it for the selection for June/September intake. I was told that I have to go and do the assessment and interview before April.

Anyway for those wondering, I'm not 100% sure whether they give us the advanced compass or not, I did a basic compass test before and I do not remember it being this difficult.

What I did at STAA was :
-hand and feet coordination
-mathematics test
-orientation(i think it's called? it involves the ADF, compass and turn coordinator, just match the plane that is in the correct position in relative to the station)
-memory test (inputting new data into the autopilot while watching out for the warning lights, putting them out ASAP)

and a couple others that I can't really recall at the moment.

CodyBlade
12th Mar 2015, 08:03
Coast US$170K.

Anyone from Qatar interview you?
and did you ask the attrition rate and how many actually get to the fleet STAA viz CTC Wings NZ?.

AviateNavigateComm
12th Mar 2015, 18:28
@CodyBlade I did ask if the job at the end was confirmed as it is a pretty big investment and stuff and they told me just to be on the record and I was clear with it, that the offer to work at Qatar Airways is strictly conditional, meaning at anytime during the course they feel that I do not perform up to standard, they can choose not to hire me, but if I perform well, do not make any serious mistakes and such, they have no reason not to hire me. They did again repeat that it a conditional and open offer, and there is a small possibility that they might not hire me at the end.

I think the first batch started Dec last year so there aren't any graduates yet. As for the CTCWings Qatar MPL, I'm not too sure about that as the panel that interviewed me were all from STAA. The Qatar Airways panel will do the final interview about 2-3weeks before the course begins to shortlist candidates to join the course. From what the school told me, I should get my results within 2 days after the interview, and if I pass I am required to immediately go get my Class 1 Medical done in Singapore.

I hope I will not get penalised or something for posting here :confused:. Just want to help out anyone interested and there didn't seem to be anyone from the course and stuff commenting here, so I thought I can help out

ambitious korean
12th Mar 2015, 22:50
No. actually not. I heard GCSE same as O level. A level is upper one

AviateNavigateComm
13th Mar 2015, 06:41
@ambitious korean ah I thought that would be IGCSE. don't really know the difference as I did my country's high school :). It is equivalent to IGCSE/O Levels, but I have a diploma so they accepted it and I did the assessment.

Even so, I think they want passes with 80% and above if I'm not mistaken. I don't think they're too strict on that but you can try sending them an email to inquire.

Quartermaster
10th May 2015, 13:50
Hi! Did you got selected by the airline?

adhil1997
28th Jun 2015, 11:11
Hey i was wondering exactly what does the COMPASS test comprise of in STAA ? Also, what type of questions are asked at the interview. I am going to Singapore for the Selection test on the 6th of July and was wondering if you could help me out. Thanks

Quartermaster
30th Jun 2015, 09:18
@AviateNacigateComm Did you went for the last qatar panel interview?
@adhil1997 Its a computer based test, it will test on your coordination, multitasking skills, maths, short term memory, spatial orientation and personality test. If you pass you will be called for the interview. For that, just be yourself and answer accordingly. Goodluck!

Singapore787
1st Jul 2015, 08:44
the "story" is the MPL graduates where not hired by Tiger Airways and are now stuck with no jobs.
Thats the reason MPL has failed everywhere...

They were... Even at the cost of current employees, it is true some had to wait a bit longer, but from the information I have from people who work there they did get hired.

wonderland
2nd Jul 2015, 04:33
What abt the girl?

Blomqvist
2nd Jul 2015, 09:46
which girl?

Brownblueguy
7th Jul 2015, 08:09
I read online that as of 05/11/2014 ST aerospace EASA ATO certificate is suspended. Will they renew once the batch comes in? Or has it already been renewed?

Stallone
7th Jul 2015, 10:33
STAA EASA licence for the simulator has just been approved few months back

Stallone
7th Jul 2015, 10:35
What abt the girl?

quite a few girls are under the MPL programme tagged to TGW

rudy_m
23rd Jul 2015, 10:32
just wanted to ask the guys here in their views the difference between the ctc program and this program. also as stated earlier, a lot of guys started training in 2013 if i'm correct , just wanted to check if anyone knows their current status. also i really don't understand a need for QA to have 2 different international cadet programs with 2 different academies (ctc and st) , and to add to that a third cadet program for Qatari's only.

flying.monkeyz
26th Jul 2015, 10:54
Qatar actually has 4 schools supplying them with cadets: ST, CTC, FTE and QAC. Given their aggressive expansion plan, it is not surprising at all that they appoint FTOs from all over the place.

Comparing the program between CTC and ST, I stand more on CTC side. The school is run professionally, with very experienced ground instructors and flight training in an international airport environment makes them one up against ST. I know a few doing the Qatar MPL at ST and some of their feedback are: cadets are treated like trash, especially from the CGI who screams and shouts and runs the ground school like an army bootcamp. The marketing department is only interested in collecting fees. The flight training in Ballarat is chaotic with very little organisation of any kind. Students are often delayed due to poor planning. And because Ballarat is non-controlled airport, the cadets don't get to practice proper radio calls and are completely at a lost during simulator training.

In fact the reputation of ST is so bad that even CAAS questions students why chose the school over other school.

1stofficerkyle
30th Jul 2015, 06:15
Honestly after reading all these posts I am reconsidering my decision to pursue this program. My parents don't have 200K as loose change and it will take every single penny in their pocket just to pile up to half of that cost. I went for the compass test last week and the receptionist said I aced it pretty well. she also said that they will email to notify me about a mass interview session at the end of this week but so far no news from them yet.

To the wise and experienced seniors there, I need your advice. Is it worth it to go down this path or is there a more feasible way to be a pilot in Asia? I am an average polytechnic graduate who has been dreaming of this opportunity since i was a child. I don't mind the difficulty and the sacrifices that I will have to make. What I am concerned about is the financial aspect of this. Any advice? :confused::confused:

flying.monkeyz
30th Jul 2015, 14:56
Go for SQ cadetship.

Notthisguy
9th Sep 2015, 10:15
I was thinking about applying for this program as i am a little hesitant currently.

flying.monkeyz you seem to have quite a negative outlook about ST, are they really as bad as what people are making them out to be?

wonderland
9th Sep 2015, 12:09
Is this course even still running?!

flying.monkeyz
9th Sep 2015, 12:33
Notthisguy - don't take it from me. I suggest you ask around. Go to CAAS Licensing Department and ask for their opinion about the school.

I heard the course is still running.

Mahmoudfathy
13th Jan 2016, 14:36
Are you enrolled now? And how was the interview both from the academy and qatar airways and also they assessment test what did it include and is the job guaranteed? Thanks a lot

Mahmoudfathy
14th Jan 2016, 21:02
I need to know if you are enrolled now?
And how was the qatar airways interview like and the academy interview and compass test and what should i be aware of and is it really worth the money

Droste
12th Feb 2016, 02:25
The famous cadet pilot in ST Aerospace Academy

http://oi67.tinypic.com/29ofk81.jpg
http://oi63.tinypic.com/vebujq.jpg

1. Brian Joseph Chow (周谦耀) failed to declare that he has Attention Deficit Disorder since Primary 5!

2. CAAS Medical Board failed to detect that he is "psychiatric" problem!

3. Mental illnes still wants to hold CAAS Commercial Pilot Licence? What is bloody CAAS doing?!

4. Going to jail meaning conviction! It's a felony! Is CAAS still going to issue CPL?!

5. Is ST Aerospace Academy still going to keep Brian Joseph Chow?

MiG41
28th May 2016, 13:52
@AviateNavigateComm any updates on your side? i see a lot of negative comments here about the qatar mpl prgramme, i have applied for the programme, by reading now im thinking a lot.. is the job guaranteed on completion? 160K is a lot

flying.monkeyz
29th May 2016, 00:05
The only guarantee is there's no guarantee.

MiG41
30th May 2016, 01:38
@flying.monkeyz lol true.. do you know anyone who has graduated and now with qatar? i have applied for this programme, just want to know whether you get a job upon completion of course? did you apply for this course?

FlyingChipmunk
30th May 2016, 02:29
MIG
try 240k after factoring in all the extras, re-tests, extra lessons, loss of income......

Mass MPL migration from Tiger to Qatar has started. They will leap frog ALL the Qatar MPLs due to the 2 years of sectors they have.

MiG41
31st May 2016, 17:57
@FlyingChipmunk

what? tiger MPL graduates transferring to qatar? that cant be.. those who did the tiger MPL is only applicable to tiger and not qatar.. remember qatar airlines interview their cadets before even the course commences? and only if they pass that they get enrolled into the course.. so how can tiger MPL graduates go to qatar? makes no sense..

Stallone
1st Jun 2016, 03:19
MIG
try 240k after factoring in all the extras, re-tests, extra lessons, loss of income......

Mass MPL migration from Tiger to Qatar has started. They will leap frog ALL the Qatar MPLs due to the 2 years of sectors they have.

really?! how many are joining Qatar from Tiger?

MiG41
1st Jun 2016, 09:22
@stallone i dont think thats allowed, how can tiger MPL graduates be employed at qatar? has qatar panel even interviewed them? no:=

flying.monkeyz
1st Jun 2016, 14:40
@MiG41

The first batch has already cleared line checks in Qatar and are now FOs. 2nd batch to have their line checks soon.

FlyingChipmunk
2nd Jun 2016, 05:28
MIG
you're 2 steps behind.....yes all interviewed and more getting called up
watch this space.
Starts dates coming soon.

PNY
6th Jun 2016, 03:47
Qatar starting cadet program in India, did not think they could accommodate with all the abinitio training with the large cohorts for Indigo, etc. Guess I was wrong... CAE in India going to be super busy now...

Stallone
2nd Jul 2016, 15:33
@stallone i dont think thats allowed, how can tiger MPL graduates be employed at qatar? has qatar panel even interviewed them? no

wad he meant was those Tiger MPL pilots who have attained ATPL are quitting TR to join QR

Murdifi
9th Jul 2016, 17:11
Anyone got an invitation to take the assessment this coming week?

wonderland
13th Jul 2016, 11:25
The cost of training is ALOT.

flying.monkeyz
13th Jul 2016, 12:55
USD155K. First two batches have cleared line checks. 3rd batch undergoing line training.

9VSWQ
17th Jul 2016, 14:38
Anyone here from the batch of candidates that did the Qatar panel interview in early May?

Dogkim
30th Sep 2016, 05:36
The only guarantee is there's no guarantee.

Hello Monkeyz, I have read lots of posts from you.
I am from Korean and I just applied for March/2017 session of Qatar MPL in STAA.
It seems like you are in the mpl course now. If so, may I have a few questions to you?

flying.monkeyz
3rd Oct 2016, 10:54
What would you like to know?

aviatit
3rd Oct 2016, 13:15
DogKim, how do you apply for March 2017 intake? The website states that application deadline is closed.

Dogkim
6th Oct 2016, 10:28
DogKim, how do you apply for March 2017 intake? The website states that application deadline is closed.

I applied on 29th sep. Waiting for their reply. Did you apply?

aviatit
6th Oct 2016, 11:25
I applied on 29th sep. Waiting for their reply. Did you apply?
I plan to apply soon but the application is closed. So I'm not sure whether I can apply for the March/June batch already.

Dogkim
6th Oct 2016, 13:28
I plan to apply soon but the application is closed. So I'm not sure whether I can apply for the March/June batch already.
You can try to call them. They might still accept applications

Louis Phun
17th Oct 2016, 05:19
Anyone did apply for the next intake received anything from STAA???

Dogkim
21st Oct 2016, 05:04
Anyone did apply for the next intake received anything from STAA???

Not yet...

aviatit
28th Nov 2016, 20:07
Did you guys send the application by email or normal postage?

Dogkim
6th Dec 2016, 03:34
Did you guys send the application by email or normal postage?

Email.
I have passed the compass test and first round interview.
I have applied for March 2017 Session. However, the final interview is delayed to second half of 2017 and I will only be able to start the course on 2018.
They never tell this problem to candidates untill they pass the first round interview. So better check with them before you apply

flying.monkeyz
6th Dec 2016, 12:38
People, basically each Qatar batch is limited to 6 cadets (4 batches per year). Looking at the number of applicants, yes, you can go ahead and take that job / course for 2017 before your QR training starts in 2018.

Or go for SQ / MI / Scoot / Tiger cadet program.

Stallone
6th Dec 2016, 13:10
it's good isn't it

at the mean time, earn as much as u can during the waiting period.

as we all know, the course doesn't come cheap, especially now that USD is way strong, but 2018 is still unknown