View Full Version : ST Aviation Academy to train Qatar Airways MPL cadet pilots

Pages : 1 [2]

aviatit
6th Dec 2016, 16:10
Email.
I have passed the compass test and first round interview.
I have applied for March 2017 Session. However, the final interview is delayed to second half of 2017 and I will only be able to start the course on 2018.
They never tell this problem to candidates untill they pass the first round interview. So better check with them before you apply
Hi DogKim, so meaning to say you applied for March 2017 but instead they told that you can only start the course on 2018? Wow that's a long wait.

How long did you wait for the first call up since the application? I applied last month and am still waiting for their reply.

Txiki
9th Dec 2016, 07:39
Hello Dogkim,

just a question, did you train for the test and if yes... how, send me a PM if you want, thanks!

Niliewoohk
11th Dec 2016, 13:36
Hi

How old was the youngest cadet that they took in and is there any female cadets?

flying.monkeyz
12th Dec 2016, 12:05
Youngest cadet is 18 and yes they took in females before.

Niliewoohk
13th Dec 2016, 23:07
How long did you all wait to get a reply for the interview after the application is sent?

lacus1404
16th Jan 2017, 02:07
I applied early December and am still waiting for the invite to first round. Hmm called them recently and they mentioned there might still be some slots for the December batch

aviatit
18th Jan 2017, 02:28
I applied end of October. Still waiting for the invite too.

theleeporker
20th Jan 2017, 11:58
got compass test on 24th 2pm.. anyone same slot? what to look out for and is it manageable? any website where i can practice it online?

aviatit
20th Jan 2017, 20:27
got compass test on 24th 2pm.. anyone same slot? what to look out for and is it manageable? any website where i can practice it online?

When did you send your application?

lacus1404
21st Jan 2017, 14:25
you can use latestpilotjobs.com but will have to make a payment for it

lacus1404
24th Jan 2017, 10:07
I was called for selection next week too. Anyone able to tell me if first day is just the simulator? Or doea it include group assessment as well. This is stated in the email "PILOT SKILLS ASSESSMENT (which measures one’s competencies in areas such as hand-foot-eye coordination; memory; mental arithmetic; spatial orientation; and multi-tasking) and Personality Assessment"

Dogkim
24th Jan 2017, 17:37
I was called for selection next week too. Anyone able to tell me if first day is just the simulator? Or doea it include group assessment as well. This is stated in the email "PILOT SKILLS ASSESSMENT (which measures one’s competencies in areas such as hand-foot-eye coordination; memory; mental arithmetic; spatial orientation; and multi-tasking) and Personality Assessment"
It is a piece of cake.
Nothing to worry about it.
I think even kids can pass too

theleeporker
7th Feb 2017, 08:42
just finished my compass test today. awaiting for 1st interview.. anyone waiting too?
feel free to pm me

flying.monkeyz
8th Feb 2017, 05:30
There are rumours flying around that Qatar may pull out of STAA.

Stallone
11th Feb 2017, 09:19
There are rumours flying around that Qatar may pull out of STAA.
hmm.... it'll be a slap for STAA if QR MPL goes to CAE

flying.monkeyz
11th Feb 2017, 12:01
I won't be a bit surprised. CAE can negotiate for a package for sim and pilot training. What can STAA offer?

wy1991
14th Feb 2017, 05:50
@flying.monkeyz Hey, I'm curious where you got the info from. It is abit worrying cause my final interview has been postponed twice without a confirmed date

wy1991
14th Feb 2017, 08:14
Hey @flying.monkeyz, will those currently waiting for final interview be affected? The final interview was postponed twice since December without a date yet. Thanks

aviatit
14th Feb 2017, 09:03
Rumours had it that CAE Singapore is closing down. Business has been bad for them.

Stallone
14th Feb 2017, 09:34
Rumours had it that CAE Singapore is closing down. Business has been bad for them.
Airbus just beside them, taking away their staff n business

Heard their Head of Training resigned?

aviatit
14th Feb 2017, 10:54
Airbus just beside them, taking away their staff n business

Heard their Head of Training resigned?
Partly true but the signs were there even before airbus officially opened. I still think STAA is more stable than CAE.

Yeah I heard that too. Many of their staffs quit. A Handful of them went to airbus.

flying.monkeyz
14th Feb 2017, 14:12
Partly true but the signs were there even before airbus officially opened. I still think STAA is more stable than CAE.

Yeah I heard that too. Many of their staffs quit. A Handful of them went to airbus.
CAE was doing well before Airbus set up shop at Seletar. Essentially CAE in Singapore served Tiger, Jetstar and Silkair. Now that Airbus is down the road and offered much better package, these airlines left. HAITE also offered Tiger a deal that they couldn't resist. CAE's plan is to cut their losses and go somewhere else. Plenty of business in other part of the world.

STAA has one A320 FFS but guess what? It's not even owned by them. It was a Sim Industries sim which was acquired by Lockheed Martin and now owned by CAE. So if CAE decides to redeploy the sim elsewhere, STAA is screwed.

Many of STAA's staff left because senior management seriously doesn't know how to manage the team. Plus, Airbus is a much more professionally-run joint.

theleeporker
20th Feb 2017, 11:50
anyone still waiting for 1st interview?

Flyboysg
23rd Feb 2017, 10:38
I heard Qr is pulling out of ctc as well anyone knows?

wy1991
2nd Mar 2017, 02:24
Check your email guys, there's bad news

lost_pilot
2nd Mar 2017, 16:08
?? bad news

Dan2345
3rd Mar 2017, 08:06
got the bad news as well after passing assessment. Do you know where else can i apply for qatar mpl?

flying.monkeyz
3rd Mar 2017, 09:52
Does the bad news involve confirmation regarding no more MPL program?

air_xyz
3rd Mar 2017, 12:25
sorry mate but no other schools offer qatar mpl besides those 2

wy1991
4th Mar 2017, 02:21
@flying.monkeyz yes and I was waiting for my final interview since December last year

Flyboysg
4th Mar 2017, 10:23

I believe so, the course is gone from their web

wy1991
4th Mar 2017, 16:26
Does anyone know where will QR get more cadets from? Heard CTC has a severe backlog of cadets. CAE maybe? Rumours anyone?

air_xyz
6th Mar 2017, 08:12
Does anyone know where will QR get more cadets from? Heard CTC has a severe backlog of cadets. CAE maybe? Rumours anyone?
I'm pretty sure they already have more than enough pilots for the time being from QAC, CTC and STAA so even though they no longer select STAA for their MPL Programme I doubt Qatar will find another school in the near time to train their cadets in at least not in a few months.

For rumours, I haven't heard anything.

flying.monkeyz
6th Mar 2017, 14:12
FTE Jerez also trains Qatar pilots.

wy1991
6th Mar 2017, 15:39
@air_xyz
I heard that the issue right now is that they don't have enough line instructor captains for 320s but oh well, you'll never really know what are their plans

@flying.monkeyz
I came across FTE Jerez before and didn't see a QR MPL and to my knowledge they only have a 737 sim not 320 sim. Do you guys have any advice if going to CTC as a self-sponsored cadet not backed by an airline would be the stupidest decision I'll ever make? (Not that I have money to throw like that but I'm working towards it)

air_xyz
6th Mar 2017, 23:40
I think it depends on you. Do you really want to become a pilot that you're willing to spent so much money? I just heard rumours from my friend that Qatar is gonna remove MPL Programme from CTC as well so you're left with CPL Programme which doesn't guarantee you any job. Have you tried applying for SIA sponsorship?

flying.monkeyz
7th Mar 2017, 00:57
@air_xyz
I heard that the issue right now is that they don't have enough line instructor captains for 320s but oh well, you'll never really know what are their plans

@flying.monkeyz
I came across FTE Jerez before and didn't see a QR MPL and to my knowledge they only have a 737 sim not 320 sim. Do you guys have any advice if going to CTC as a self-sponsored cadet not backed by an airline would be the stupidest decision I'll ever make? (Not that I have money to throw like that but I'm working towards it)
Hi wy1991,

I can't really comment as I do not have first hand experience with CTC, but it is a very established school and has trained many airline pilots. I know of people who did self-sponsored program who were recruited and has started flying, and also people doing airline-backed program and were terminated.

One of the trait of being a great pilot is taking calculated risk, and it starts with picking your flight school. As long as you've done your homework and find out as much as you can, then make a decision and move on. There is no such thing as "the stupidest decision". If it doesn't work out, then learn from it.

Good luck.

wy1991
7th Mar 2017, 14:06
Hi wy1991,

I can't really comment as I do not have first hand experience with CTC, but it is a very established school and has trained many airline pilots. I know of people who did self-sponsored program who were recruited and has started flying, and also people doing airline-backed program and were terminated.

One of the trait of being a great pilot is taking calculated risk, and it starts with picking your flight school. As long as you've done your homework and find out as much as you can, then make a decision and move on. There is no such thing as "the stupidest decision". If it doesn't work out, then learn from it.

Good luck.
Hey Flying.monkeyz

Thanks for your well wishes and advice. I'm really curious about which path did you take towards achieving this dream. I've been doing plenty of research and trying to get to know the industry as best as I can. So any help is deeply appreciated.

striker26
7th Mar 2017, 15:46
Rumor has it STAA was struggling to get sims/training done on time, and as said previously, another company bought out the a320 simulators and from the looks of things, the organization at STAA wasnt up to par adding to the delays. QR is also dealing with delayed Airbus orders, plus a shortage of training captains (huge shortage). With the STAA contract due this year, they simply just didnt renew it - from the website, 2017 was the contract end date with STAA. I do not think QR will pull out of CTC, not sure when that contract is until but the airline needs pilots, their QAC national program isnt enough, i think CTC is safe still but you never know, either they will oull out of the MPL programs completely, or give the business to CTC or find another training company? Who knows!

1stofficerkyle
15th Mar 2017, 09:16
To all of you aspiring cadet, I was once in the hopes of making it thru this program. I passed both interviews and aced the aptitude test. However, a week before the start of my course, I had to pull out due to my personal financial issues at that time. My dream to be an airline pilot is still alive and in the process of manifesting. However I would like to enlighten you folks with some of the lessons I learnt.

I have some friends who are cadets at STAA and some of whom are pilots at QA. These are their accounts. Do not apply for this program unless u have $250,000++ as loose change lying around. It is not worth the risk. Do not leave your financial dependency to a bank. STAA is an okay school. I have not heard anything negative about them and from my experience alone I can affirm that they are a very well established school. You will have a great time at school. The problem comes after you are employed. (Provided you do not underperform at any point in time during the training)

QA has a very strict policy when it comes to the performance of its pilots. Remember this is a very physically taxing job. Any mistake will lead to immediate termination and deportation from the country. I have known of 5 pilots (Most of whom are STAA cadet) who have been fired and deported from Qatar and these are their stories.

One Muslim pilot was standing on the street with his Girlfriend. His hands were around her waist. It so happened that the religious police came by to the spot. They asked him for his details, next day called up for investigation, the next day deported to Singapore.

One pilot forgot to flare right before landing. I am unsure whether he forgot or didn't flare enough but it caused structural damage to the aircraft and recorded 2.5Gs. Captain demoted, pilot fired and deported.

Another pilot forgot to retract the flaps after taking off prompting a level 3 warning. After landing investigation was conducted, the next day fired and deported.

Another pilot didn't configure his aircraft before landing in time and had to initiate a go around. He was cited to not be situationally aware and was fired.

One pilot didn't gel up his hair. Cited to have improper turnout when reporting to work. And he got fired. For such a minute reason.

AS this is an MPL program, all of these guys are currently without a job and a 250K loan on their heads.

Guys my intention is not to demotivate you or discourage you form applying into this. My intention is to share with you what you may not know and give you a realistic idea of what life maybe after landing your "Dream job" If you want to apply for this program, make sure you have $250,000 ++ as spare change. Do not go through with this leaving your financial dependency on a bank. Look at yourself and your family, evaluate the risks before jumping on board for the sake of "passion". It is not worth to take a full loan for this. If you have a very rich dad, go for it. Or if you have an unwavering belief that you will not end up like the men above, go for it. Do not kill your finances for an MPL program.

I wish each and everyone of you the very best in your future careers.

unobtanium
24th Mar 2017, 06:52
Thanks for sharing 1stofficerkyle, it sounds very harsh, but not every airline allows one to learn from mistakes.

tainkj
6th Apr 2017, 04:09
It's funny how 1stofficerkyle actually knows what's going on when he is not in the company.

I don't speak for the company but all i can say is that when people commit a mistake, they do not tell people the whole truth and they only tell people what makes them look good.

Most of the incident that he mentioned did not result in termination as those guys are still walking around in the company.

The company is not as heartless as what those rumours put it out to be as you can see they are just rumours. Although this is a rumour forum, facts should be checked first before spreading fear among everyone.

Stallone
6th Apr 2017, 08:50
It's funny how 1stofficerkyle actually knows what's going on when he is not in the company.

I don't speak for the company but all i can say is that when people commit a mistake, they do not tell people the whole truth and they only tell people what makes them look good.

Most of the incident that he mentioned did not result in termination as those guys are still walking around in the company.

The company is not as heartless as what those rumours put it out to be as you can see they are just rumours. Although this is a rumour forum, facts should be checked first before spreading fear among everyone.
heard some of these fired QR MPL holders are joining TGW?

Flyboysg
6th Apr 2017, 09:56

I can agree with you that rumours are rumours and the company is not that heartless. My friends were involved in some similiar incidents and some have gotten away lightly, some have gotten away severely.

I personally know a few of those who were let go, i can say they were definitely treated wrongly and none of them had bad records as the rumours go. They definitely made mistakes which deserved some punishment but those mistakes did not warrant termination.

That said, I know people who made worst mistakes than them but got off lightly and are still in the company. So its kinda just a matter of luck over here.

FlyingChipmunk
7th Apr 2017, 09:18
yup :oh:

heard some of these fired QR MPL holders are joining TGW?

glideapproach
8th Apr 2017, 13:55
yup :oh:

If the reasons for their termination are as stated, shouldn't they be given another chance?

CodyBlade
9th Apr 2017, 14:56
"Forgot to Flare".

"Forgot to retract flaps".

I am sick of being a Single pilot ops/Training instructor when flying with MPLs.