PDA

View Full Version : True Operating Costs of SE A/c

ETANOW
27th Apr 2002, 18:36
Hello!

Without considering depreciation or capital expenditure, what are the DOCs of a single engine aircraft, 160-200hp with fixed gear?

Assume I'm flying about 100hrs/year and have free access to an airport (landing, parking), AvGAS @ €6/gal, maintance standard rate (whatever that is). I'm possibly looking for something with all digital avionics, IFR equipped (more tech toys the better!)

Any advise out there?

Rrgds

p.s. is it cheaper in the log run to purchase a recent aircraft (95 onwards)?

Fujiflyer
27th Apr 2002, 19:44
An aircraft similar to what you indicate you would like would be something like a PA28 or C182. Of course if you expect to be able do aero's then you'll need something suitably rated for such.

A few years ago (about 1998) I embarked upon the task of finding out what the actual costs would be in respect of owning a 150Hp 4 seater. I assumed a utilisation of about 150hrs per year. The cost came out at about £12k per year, this assumed that maintenance costs were "average." In fairness I think that given inflation (which has been significant in aviation, over the last 4 years), the fact that you want a better a/c than I priced and that the £12k did not cover the odd "horrible" annual I think that you would need to add a few more £k's. (You do suggest 100hrs/yr however I don't think this will make a big difference - £2.5k less, perhaps).

Most people who want to own an aircraft rather than rent do so by joining / forming a group. These are usually made up of between 4 and 7 members, who share the fixed costs and pay for their flying at an agreed hourly rate. Availability tends to be better than you might expect. Additionally it is good socially, as flying can easily become a solitude hobby if you're not careful.

There is quite a lot of good information on PPRuNe to do with this subject. Its worth doing some searches using the provided search facility. You'll find quite a few people refering to the "three F's" though I'll not bother to repeat this here.

Feel free to ask me if you want any more info'

Fujiflyer :) :) :)

javelin
28th Apr 2002, 20:16
2 seat aeroplane, 115hp, tube and fabric. Hangarage £85 p.m. Insurance £1200 per year, gas 6 galls per hour, maintenance under £1000 per year if you do what you can yourself and have a good engineer who will sign some work off. Fun - HUGE !!!:) :D

IFollowRoads
29th Apr 2002, 00:03
4 seat retract with wobbly prob
170 pcm on the line (near London)
1500 pa insurance
250 pa IFR database update
100 Radio annual
2500 annual + defects + parts
250 50 hr check + defects + parts
540 every 3 years CofA
750 every 3 years AWN75
and all thats *before* you fly it (gulp - maybe I should get a cheaper hobby, like beer :eek: )

Then about 30/hr for Avgas, 6/hr for the engine (lifed at 2000 hrs)

Grins - lots
Availability - excellent

Yer pays yer money and makes yer choice!