PDA

View Full Version : Post General Anaesthetic - flying ban?

FlyingGoat
4th May 2013, 08:22
Does anyone know any rule prohibiting flying as PIC in a light a/c after a minor hospital procedure with general anaesthetic?

I gave up battling through the UK CAA's phone system, and nothing on their website.

Hospital says no driving for 48hrs - would it be logical to assume the same for flying?

Jetblu
4th May 2013, 09:01
A question probably better suited here.

Medical & Health - PPRuNe Forums (http://www.pprune.org/medical-health-62/)

Andy Mayes
4th May 2013, 09:08
I gave up battling through the UK CAA's phone system, and nothing on their website.

Are you dialling the correct number?

Getting to speak to a member of staff in the Medical Department is one of the easiest tasks I have found in aviation, that said, there are AICs covering surgical procedures and flying, take a look there and you might not need to make a phone call.

FlyingGoat
4th May 2013, 10:02
Thanks to both of you - I can see I'm in the wrong section. It's listed in an AIC: (see: http://goo.gl/BzffX ) as 48hrs after GA, 12hrs after a local.

I'm curious - without using Google is there an internal AIS search facility for their publications' content?

Andy Mayes
4th May 2013, 10:39
I'm curious - without using Google is there an internal AIS search facility for their publications' content?

There is no "search" function, its a case of keeping oneself up to date and looking through the list of titles, not ideal.

Personally, with each AIRAC cycle I look through the list of new AICs to see if there are any that affect me and this is enough to remind me of what is current, I can then go back and re-read the AIC if required, this is how I knew there was a pink AIC regarding medication/procedures and flying (and another regarding the same for ATC).

FlyingGoat
4th May 2013, 10:56
Thanks, Andy - that's useful.

Incidentally, with any Windows PC, and on most websites, Ctl + F searches the page which can be massively long, so with extensive indexes it can be a useful tool.