PDA

View Full Version : PPL - This time im ready!

jamieerst
3rd May 2013, 11:47
Ok,

so the idea of gaining my PPL has come to the forefront of my mind once again..

this time however i am more financially stable and have the flexibility to study.

im currently living near Manchester in the UK and i am considering the flight schools at Barton, one being MFT and LAC.

One thing that I'm toying with is the aircraft i would like to learn in, choice being the Cessna 172 or the PA28, as i am of a larger stature. :)

one question i have is that can my training by split between the aircraft so i can become familiar with them both ? is this a wise idea ?

I'm hoping to book my first lesson this weekend, then get the medical sorted.

CruiseAttitude
3rd May 2013, 14:00
Welcome back! Hopefully we will have a nice summer ahead that will be great for flying too.

I would recommend the C172, it’s very easy to get in and out with two big doors, you don’t need to step onto the wing, drop through a hatch and slide over to the P1 seat and of course with the high wings it provides great visibility below for your navigation training. It really is horses for courses when it comes to the C172 and PA28 though, both are proven aeroplanes and both are excellent for training. I trained in the C152 and then joined a C172 flying group after gaining my PPL. I’ve always found the C172 to feel a little more roomy than the PA28, this might just be a perception though.

You can indeed split your training between the C172 and PA28. However, it would be best for you to get your PPL done on just one type, that way you can can divert all your resources to the training exercises at hand in a plane you are used to. You can easily checkout on the other once you have your licence. Checking out should only take a couple of hours or so.

Good luck and keep us updated. :ok:

riverrock83
3rd May 2013, 15:53
Welcome back! Hopefully we will have a nice summer ahead that will be great for flying too.

I would recommend the C172, it’s very easy to get in and out with two big doors, you don’t need to step onto the wing, drop through a hatch and slide over to the P1 seat and of course with the high wings it provides great visibility below for your navigation training. It really is horses for courses when it comes to the C172 and PA28 though, both are proven aeroplanes and both are excellent for training. I trained in the C152 and then joined a C172 flying group after gaining my PPL. I’ve always found the C172 to feel a little more roomy than the PA28, this might just be a perception though.

You can indeed split your training between the C172 and PA28. However, it would be best for you to get your PPL done on just one type, that way you can can divert all your resources to the training exercises at hand in a plane you are used to. You can easily checkout on the other once you have your licence. Checking out should only take a couple of hours or so.

Good luck and keep us updated. :ok:

Best of luck! I'm in agreement:
I would book two lessons initially - one on each so you can start to get a feel for how comfy you are in either, then stick to one after that. Both are great training aircraft. I wouldn't keep swapping during training as this will just confuse you and mean you take longer to get through the course. I learnt across 3 completely different types so I have some experience with this...

Sensible Flyer
3rd May 2013, 17:58
For what it's worth, I did half my training on a diesel PA28 and half on an avgas 172. Didn't cause any issue, except I kept forgetting to "turn the bloody carb heat off" as my instructor once put it :O.

Pace
3rd May 2013, 18:06
I would go with RiverRocks suggestion in trying a lesson in both. See which fits you best and which you like best and then stick with that for your PPL.
You can always do a conversion later once you get the ppl.

Pace

jamieerst
3rd May 2013, 18:28
Thanks for the input guys

Goin to book two lessons, one in each.

That pretty much decides my flight school also

So Barton Aerodrome and LAC School here I come!!!

Pace
3rd May 2013, 19:49
Jamie

If the aircraft are at two different schools also bring into the equation what you feel about the club and the instructors! If you like them the amount of attention you get etc! Its easy to change aircraft not so easy to change clubs

Pace

Winhern
3rd May 2013, 20:08
A few things to compare and contrast whilst trying the two:
1. Don't forget to climb up the Cessna to see how easy it is to check the fuel tank contents. And then stay there to fill them.
2. Or under the PA28 to do the fuel check.
3. Later C172's have something like 13 fuel check points which gets annoying on the first check of the day.
4. Some PA28's have a roof mounted trim handle, which is less convenient than a trim-wheel by your thigh.
5. High wings give better visibility *for your passengers*. Particularly in the circuit low wings give a better pilot view.
6. PA28's have two flat windows at the front. Which gives a clear view with a blind spot. C172's tend to have curved windscreens. No blindspot, but distortion on the edges.

glencoeian
6th May 2013, 09:14
For what it's worth I started on a PA28 - I'm also quite large :-) Now flying on the C172 but only 13 hours into my PPL training. I prefer the c172 and some people think the PA28 is a bit fast in the circuit so you can get a bit behind the plane. Anyway good luck
Ian

Ebbie 2003
6th May 2013, 19:50
Learned on C172 and now own a PA28-181 Archer II.

I am large (not tall and 20 stone - always amuses me when I see the "I didn't know fat blokes could be pilots look") - the Cessna is certainly easier to get in and out of, but the PA28 is not difficult when you're used to it - the trick is to slide the seat back!

In my opinion the PA28 is easier to fly than the 172 - I describe the PA28 as "rudder optional", it certainly seems that was compared to the 172.

I flew several 172 variants (engine sizes) when training including one with the Powerflow exhaust - they were all good but the more powerful ones needed lots of rudder at full power and always rudder in even shallow turns.

My Archer is a 180hp and needs only modest rudder at full power e.g. take off and of course rudder on crosswind landings but seems to need very little when flying even steep turns.

Overall both are good planes to fly choosing either would not be a bad decision - one thing to factor in is where you plan to rent from when you have your PPL - may want to rent the same type you learned on. Personally after I learned in Florida I returned to Barbados to find that at the time there was nothing to rent - I bought the Archer and so since earning my PPL I've never flown a 172 - the transition was not difficult - did my flight review followed by four touch and goes then a 450 mile crosscountry (my first two solo flights since getting the PPL a year earlier - I did say that the PA28 was easy to fly!)

flyinkiwi
6th May 2013, 21:50
I am 6'2 and 240lbs. I did all my flight training in the 172 and shortly after gaining my PPL converted to the Pa28. Pretty much everything Ebbie 2003 says is true, but the best advice given here is to pick one and stick with it as you can always convert later.

If I had to go back and do it all again which one would I choose? The 172 because:

It has less things to manage when you are learning (fuel pump, tank switching) leaving you to fly the plane.
It has several qualities (its wing drop stall characteristics and Frise ailerons - i.e. adverse yaw) which require your attention to fly it well, yet its overall handling is very benign.

Having said that I do enjoy flying the Pa28 and for certain long distance trips I prefer it.

nickbrettfly
8th May 2013, 12:21
Simply having the wings above you is a big help for practicing NAV! I think the C172 is a more friendly aircraft for visual flying.

jamieerst
1st Jun 2013, 09:29
so i am now totally confused by all the theory exams. :ugh:

with the introduction of the EASA PPL.

im being told that i can start taking the exams now and then if i haven't passed them all by september, then the remaining ones can be taken on the new syllabus. i then have 2 years to pass the PPL.

think im just gonna get some hours built up and it will all become clear.

do i need to pass any of the exams to fly solo ?

thanks

Genghis the Engineer
1st Jun 2013, 10:18
do i need to pass any of the exams to fly solo ?

Legally no. In reality hardly any school will let you go solo if you've not passed air law.

G

jamieerst
3rd Jun 2013, 11:45
First formal lesson now booked with LAC at Barton, thanks Kate for all your help.

1 Hour ground school, 1 hour in the air!

cant wait till Saturday now.

jamieerst
9th Jun 2013, 06:50
Well what can i say that hasnt already been said before, the first lesson was amazing... massive information overload but what a great experience.

I arrived at the school slightly apprehensive and nervous about the whole ordeal, both my wife, my mum and my daughter Maisie came along. By the time we got to Barton, Maisie had fallen asleep, clearly not as exicted as Daddy.

Quick toilet stop then over to LAC Flying School where i met Kate on reception, who introduced me to my instructor, Fran Wolff.

We had a quick chat on previous experience then i got all my initial gear (still no idea) - High Viz LAC Flying School Jacket, Fuel Tester, PA28 Checklist and a copy of Pooleys Air Pilots Manual.

We then took a short walk out to the aircraft, Fran did have some concerns that the aircraft wasn't sitting correctly and there could be a problem with the nose wheel, but is was all part of the checks.... that i had to do!!!!!

So we started the checks, checking the initial electronics including anti-collision light and navigation lights, they lit up so we shut them down and continued the walk around. ...As most people are aware of the PA28 Checklist i will stop there .. still excited about the whole thing..sorry

The flight itself was covering exercise 4 in the air pilots manual, the effects of the different control's on the aircraft, was a little bumpy up there due to some thermals, but still an amazing experience.

One question, that im trying to get sorted in my head though...

When performing a turn to the left or right should i apply the same direction of rudder ? so if im rolling to the left do i apply left rudder, then apply right rudder on the roll out to counter the yaw effect ?

(cant believe im asking that question, i must have learnt something yesterday)

Next three lessons booked... cant wait!!!!!!!!! :p:p:p

effortless
9th Jun 2013, 07:00
Pa28 needs little or no rudder input in the turn. In my experience few light aircraft do. The tiger moth being one that sticks in my mind as do all the gliders I've flown.more important is learning how much back pressure on the yoke to maintain your height.