PDA

View Full Version : Are you allowed a calculator in the Aircraft General PPL Exam?

JetMouse
27th Apr 2002, 13:22
Just wondering, because I will have to brush up on my maths for the load factor questions (cosines and square roots) if not...:eek:

tomcs
27th Apr 2002, 14:31
No you are not! :) But seriously its not that hard! All of the questions are multiple choice. You wont have a problem.

Tom

Evo7
27th Apr 2002, 14:56
You can approximate cosines with the Whizz-wheel anyway. Remember all those crosswind questions in the Nav exam? Just reverse the method

i.e. what is Cos 45?

Set w/v to 000/n kts (n can be anything, but bigger is better. 50 works well). Now set 45 degrees on the wheel. Crosswind component would be 36 kts

Hence cos 45 = 36/50 = 0.72

In reality it's 0.71, but hey, that's good enough for government work... :)

JetMouse
27th Apr 2002, 15:27
Nice one Evo - that works perfectly! :D

Evo7
27th Apr 2002, 19:32
Just take care with minus signs for angles greater than 90 degrees.

Realized that you can do square roots too with a bit of iteration. Handy thing, the whizz-wheel :)

Heliport
27th Apr 2002, 23:23
The CAA allow one of those new-fangled calculator contraptions in an examination?
Good Heavens!
Surely you know that real pilots never trust anything other than a wizz-wheel. What if the the battery fails just as you're flight planning. We all know that wizz-wheels are easy to use and there's no risk of making a mistake.
I can't believe you even asked the question.
Where would it stop?
You'll be suggesting that there should be computers on flightdecks next.
Yours etc
Disgusted.
Tunbridge Wells.

28thJuly2001
28th Apr 2002, 15:05
ooops, I took a calculator into this exam. Didnt give it a second thought. The examiner gave me my paper and told me to give him a shout when I had finished and then left. So this means that I have to go through the rest of my life knowing that my PPL was achieved under false pretenses.. ARRGHHH How will I live with myself. Think I will go to church and confess my sins.
Walt,,

paulo
29th Apr 2002, 17:32
Heli... :D :D :D