30th Apr 2013, 21:06
How much does a Pitts cost? Following specs:
G-xxxx
1 seat
CS prop. (I think).
Good or Excellent condition
Permit to fly
Smoke generator.

It might be that some of these specs are mutually exclusive, feel free to set me straight.
I have done a few searches but can only find one at £46k which looks great. Is that the ball park I need to be saving towards or maybe I don't need to save so long after all...?
Thanks for your help

Wide-Body
30th Apr 2013, 21:27
Like most ac you do get what you pay for. I can get you and very nice S1-c for £20. No CS prop and no smoke (Smoke from smoking airplanes for a grand). You will not get much above standard level comps, but you will have a nice aircraft. What do you want to do?

The500man
30th Apr 2013, 23:16
Try here (http://www.aerobatics.org.uk/aircraft+eqpt-for-sale.htm)

There's only one currently listed but good stuff comes and goes quickly.

Silvaire1
1st May 2013, 00:41
I'm not greatly familiar with the UK market but in the US I think $38K could get you a nice four aileron certified single seat S-1S Pitts with 180 HP and CS prop, and $20K could get you a homebuilt S-1C with 150 HP and FP prop. A close friend bought and sold a C, then bought an S last year at those prices.

What they were selling for 15 years ago is what they're selling for today, with no adjustment for inflation. I think they are a bargain for the right buyer.

foxmoth
1st May 2013, 08:50
I can get you and very nice S1-c for £20

Now that IS cheap, I'll have two please!

Stratus Fractus
1st May 2013, 10:40
Hi Thanks for the replies so far, useful stuff!

In reply to wide body; I am in a hangarage waiting list at the moment so am not in need of aircraft immediately. I think the S1C would be great - I currently have very little experience in aerobatics ( a couple of loops and spins during PPL a long time ago) . But I hope to progress and that I wont have to buy a new aircraft after a couple of years. I would rather get the right one at the start that I can grow into. (But it must be a Pitts. Childhood dream! ) so I think I am looking for S1S prices.
The 500man; The aircraft at the top of that list is the one I saw at 46k. I will keep an eye on that site though.
Silvaire1; USA is aviation dreamland for me; so many great places to go and such a great attitude towards aviation. There does not seem to be too many Pitts on the market over here (UK) though.

foxmoth
1st May 2013, 12:33
In your list I would stick with the CS prop, otherwise I think you will certainly be looking to upgrade in a few years time. What I would not bother with unless you want to get into display flying is the smoke system, costs extra both to buy and operate and probably not something you would use much.

minesastella
1st May 2013, 12:42
I've owned several S1's in the UK in recent years - my advice

1) Buy the very best aircraft you can afford (or)
2) Find a restoration based around a "sound" aeroplane with the right bits
3) "C of A" (most S1-T's or S2-S) single seaters are expensive to keep and have limited potential for revenue generation - Think £8k PA fixed costs
4) On a "permit", be ready for £2k insurance, £400 permit, 33l / hr 100ll fuel and inevitable maintenance costs (Like a £25k recover every 20 ish years) - Whatever you might think, you will be unlikley to fly more than 30 to 50 hrs a year or travel more than 100 miles from base.
5) The best UK S1's very rarely come onto the open market, they usually change hands by word of mouth
6) Lots of the stuff advertised in the 'States will not make the grade for the UK register - unless you REALLY know what you are doing it's pretty much a lottery, which very few "win"

Look at AFORS, the Baea website and flying club noticeboards, speak to Aerographic to register an interest (provided you're serious !)

Seriously consider a "share" as a first step (but you'll need to get some reputable training before most will allow you in)

The aircraft you mention is excellent, if you really want outright ownership and can afford it I'd say it's your best available option at present (and I'm nothing to do with it)

Good luck !

Ballywalter Flyer
1st May 2013, 12:45
If you are truly looking for a Pitts, then you should really speak to Mr Pitts at Leicester EGBG. His name is Rob Millinship. He started off by building his own in the 80's. He now builds and refurbs Pitts for a living.
There is nothing he does not know about the Pitts, or even about each individual Pitts in the UK

Stratus Fractus
2nd May 2013, 13:51
Great Information, thanks foxmoth, minesastella and Ballywalter Flyer. I have contacted Aerographic so hopefully I can be guided to the correct choice!. I am looking forward to trying a Pitts.I have been enjoying watching all the head cam footage on YT. Looks like a complete blast!