PDA

View Full Version : DY first officer dies after landing Malaga

Vixun
29th Apr 2013, 16:57
Anybody in Spain that knows anything about this incident:
Ekstra Bladet - Norwegian-pilot død kort før afgang (http://ekstrabladet.dk/112/article1962780.ece)

transilvana
29th Apr 2013, 22:43
nothing on the local news, feel sorry for the guy.

eastern wiseguy
29th Apr 2013, 23:09
Google translation

It was something of a tragic incident that passengers and colleagues in a Norwegian aircraft were witnessed yesterday on a flight from Malaga to Aalborg.

Shortly before the exit was a pilot is unwell why the pilot was admitted to a hospital in Malaga. Here the hospital later found that the pilot's life was not to save.

- One of our pilots was taken ill on the plane on the way to Malaga. She was not very good. She was admitted to a hospital in Malaga, where she died, says communications manager at British Airways, Lasse Sandaker-Nielsen, Ekstra Bladet.

- It is very tragic.

He has no further comments to the story.

The passengers did not experience directly what happened, but they were informed that the flight would be delayed.

AnotherWannabe
29th Apr 2013, 23:46
Cause?
Medical out of date ? If he/she died of natural causes, how did it allow him/her to get a C1 medical ? If it was like a heart condition, surely they would have spotted it during checkup.

EDIT: Obviously from natural causes... I'm a retard.

ZFT
29th Apr 2013, 23:57
If she died of natural causes???????????????

nitpicker330
30th Apr 2013, 00:59
Oh boy............maybe she died after reading CRAP on Pprune once too often.

Who knows why the poor Lady passed away but don't start crap about medicals etc.......:*

Back in ya hole.:mad:

yan_i
30th Apr 2013, 02:01
What's the cause of death?

latetonite
30th Apr 2013, 03:19
What makes anybody think when they have a first class medical, they are immune from dying?

Ancient Mariner
30th Apr 2013, 05:47
She was 31 years, and what makes anyone think that the cause of death will be announced in the media within less than 48 hours?
Per

yotty
30th Apr 2013, 06:02
Eastern, I think that should read " Norwegian Air" not BA!

Ancient Mariner
30th Apr 2013, 06:04
It is actually "Norwegian Air Shuttle", but they market themselves as just "Norwegian".
Per

green granite
30th Apr 2013, 06:52
She was 31 years, and what makes anyone think that the cause of death will be announced in the media within less than 48 hours?
Per

Quite.

There is a thing called SADS Sudden Adult Death Syndrome, that strikes down the young without any warning.
That is for INFORMATION only and is NOT a definitive statement of how she died.

tonker
30th Apr 2013, 07:01
Medicals don't mean anything and are there to placate insurance companies half the time. I could be a heroin crack addict, but have i ever had a blood test for drugs etc. No

Leave the poor girl alone.

RIP

Bearcat
30th Apr 2013, 07:11
Rest in Peace young lady. Plucked from the prime of life.

stuckgear
30th Apr 2013, 07:14
A few years back one of my kickboxing instructors died suddenly. At 27 she was packing her bags in preparation for a national competition when part of a valve in her heart broke off. A late 20's fit athelete who died of natural causes while under no physical extertion.

People die, all the time. Leave the poor girl and her family alone.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
30th Apr 2013, 07:15
Happened to a young lady ATCO at a place I worked. No history of health problems but a sudden asthma attack killed her.

One of my AMEs told me my medical examination was like the MoT on my car. I was perfectly fir at the time of the medical but could drop dead walking out the door.

kick the tires
30th Apr 2013, 07:32
AnnotherWannabe wrote: Cause?
Medical out of date ? If he/she died of natural causes, how did it allow him/her to get a C1 medical ? If it was like a heart condition, surely they would have spotted it during checkup.

What a complete :mad: he is for doing so.

Lets hope he lives up to his alias and stays where he belongs, a Wannabe!

mad_jock
30th Apr 2013, 07:33
Some AME's are quite amused by the tests they give. My one who has retired due to EASA :mad: was quite up front about it.

He had over the years had several pilots drop dead of natural causes quite soon after the yearly inspection. One or two in flight.

He said to a one they were the ones that he considered the least likely to pop there clogs. The pie eating smoking chuffs seem to rock on and when they did start to show wear they tended to show signs and were removed from flying before the event.

Condolences to friends and family a life cut short in its prime.

A and C
30th Apr 2013, 07:50
I dont think this is the time for questions about the medical examination system or any failings that some might think it has.

The lady died at an unusualy young age for reasons that will only become clear with the passing of time, please have a little more respect for her and the people who have been affected by her tragic death.

Would you all please refrain from these unfounded comments and crackpot theorys or go and find another forum unconnected with personal loss to spout them on.

Vixun
30th Apr 2013, 08:33
Several of my collegues have had thrombosis after long days in a cockpit seat. One of them almost ended up amputating some of his leg due to this an another one had the clot trapped in his lungs and fortunately not in his brain.
As long as you are seated the clot very often stays in your feet but upon starting walking around it can follow the bloodstream to some more dangerous place in your body.
So my advise is to leave the seat at least once an hour just for a short walk or stretch.

Basil
30th Apr 2013, 09:19
A and C, I can see your point but I think most are being respectful and a few comments triggered by the lady's sad demise may be informative - or perhaps mods may split the thread off to Medical.
It is certainly a philosophical reminder of the uncertainty from which we, in the West, are largely protected.

RevMan2
30th Apr 2013, 09:50
a few comments triggered by the lady's sad demise may be informative

The only comment that will be informative in this thread will be a link to the postmortem report.

fireflybob
30th Apr 2013, 10:44
Could be anything - my wife keeled over years ago aged 40 years from a cerebral aneurysm - she had a valid aircrew medical at the time

Tinribs
30th Apr 2013, 17:09
An old school girlfiend of mine, Christine O, who seemed healthy bit into an orange peel and was dead minutes later from a reaction to the chemicals used on the skin.

How she got to be adult without encountering this chemical is a mystery

Perhaps there as a great many death causing situations which would not be detected by a medical or perhaps our susceptibality to them changes as we get older

AnotherWannabe
30th Apr 2013, 17:20
Quote:
AnnotherWannabe wrote: Cause?
[kick the tires wrote:]

What a complete to$$er he is for doing so.

Lets hope he lives up to his alias and stays where he belongs, a Wannabe!

Thanks. I appreciate that.

pudoc
30th Apr 2013, 18:03
Oh boy............maybe she died after reading CRAP on PPRuNe once too often.

I recon you're onto something there. :D

Narrow Runway
30th Apr 2013, 18:25
Another wannabe:

I'm glad you appreciate the vitriol directed at you.

Do you also appreciate that you wrote a vile, offensive piece in the first place?

You do sound like a bit of a fool.

AnotherWannabe
30th Apr 2013, 18:53
Do you also appreciate that you wrote a vile, offensive piece in the first place?

You do sound like a bit of a fool.
I didn't think it through.

I thought the medical certificate is there for a reason. Going from that thought, I just didn't understand how something like this could happen. (I mean, what are the chances of sudden death...).
That's all. I don't see how it was offensive.

RTN11
30th Apr 2013, 19:19
Obviously the chances of sudden death are very low, which is why it makes the news when it happens.

Very unfortunate, and I hope none of the relatives are reading these boards, some really thoughtless comments going on here.

Narrow Runway
30th Apr 2013, 19:26
I'm glad you've now thought about it.

A Class 1 medical is absolutely no guarantee of longevity!!

You could drop dead on the way to or from the medical itself.

PAXboy
1st May 2013, 00:32
This is background information and NOT pertaining to the sad early death reported by the o/p. I am not a medic but have considerable mortality related knowledge.

The 'Sudden Adult Death Syndrome' referred to is more properly known as 'SADS, or Sudden Arrhythmic Death Syndrome' and mainly relates to Arrhythmia [yes, with x2 'r'] and this is a broad outline of a complex and variable situation. Cardiac dysrhythmia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardiac_dysrhythmia). It can occur at any age and is being researched as one of the main causes of SIDS, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome but much work yet to do.

Whilst most Arrhythmias are well signalled many are not. For example, there are circumstances when the heart just stops. There is no 'attack' or warning but it STOPS. This can happen at any time and is classed as an Arrhythmia as the natural rhythem is lost. Unless CPR is started immediately, it is usually fatal. This can happen during sleep or soon after waking, amongst other times.

One of the most difficult aspects of this is that the event leaves no 'fingerprint' in the body for the post mortem to find. With a cardiac arrest, there is clear evidence in the blood of survivors and in the heart of those that do not. But with some events, there is no 'mark' and the medics can only draw conclusions. For the family, this is particularly difficult as they cannot point to a problem or grasp the illness that killed.

Some people have a heart weakness that only shows up the once. I have known a child of 13 die from a heart attack and people of 'good health' too. It's called Life.

gingernut
1st May 2013, 22:29
Dying at 31 doesn't seem fair, and I'd agree, a modicum of respect is deserved.

Medical out of date ? If he/she died of natural causes, how did it allow him/her to get a C1 medical ? If it was like a heart condition, surely they would have spotted it during checkup

:ugh::ugh:

The medical exam. exists to protect the public, not the pilot. Does it work ? Apart from "Barn Door" cases.....no.

eu01
2nd May 2013, 16:56
Most young women use different contraceptives. The use of those medications, e.g. third-generation oral contraceptives, does carry a high risk of venous thrombosis. The blood clot migrating from deep veins could subsequently cause a pulmonary embolism, being a possible cause of death (regardless of age). Such a fatality, even if rare among users of oral or other contraceptives, could be more likely during the air travel.
Mentioned as a pure speculation at that stage, that potential cause will be very easy to rule out or confirm during the post mortem.

Mac the Knife
3rd May 2013, 18:58
"The use of those medications, e.g. third-generation oral contraceptives, does carry a high risk of venous thrombosis."

No. There IS indeed a risk increase, but in a fit person with no other predisposing factors it is very small. The risk of death from complications of pregnancy is actually higher.

Sober Lark
3rd May 2013, 20:26
My uncle just had his full MED. Playing cricket bent down to pick up the ball and never got up. Quick as that and only a day or two after his MED. Loved the BAC 1-11 and 747 DUB - SNN-JFK. Planned for retirement but never got there. Lesson for me enjoy life every minute. Wish I could ptractice what I preach.

cwatters
4th May 2013, 09:34
what are the chances of sudden death

The risk is very low but the population of the planet is very large so there are probably quite a large number of cases. They have to happen somewhere. Ocasionally they happen somewhere that appears more significant to the reader.

compton3bravo
6th May 2013, 06:19
My younger daughter died suddenly of SADS aged 32. Post Mortem found nothing unusual. Aparently about 10-15 young people are taken from us every week like this in the UK.

TSR2
6th May 2013, 09:43
C3B, very sorry to hear that.

Local press in Spain are stating that the young female pilot probably died as a result of a pulmonary embolism. So sad.

eu01
6th May 2013, 17:05
No. There IS indeed a risk increase, but in a fit person with no other predisposing factors it is very small.An other factor: the flight. And remember: two factors together do not only double the risk. Still being small, the risk growth much more.

According to the unofficial news, the death was indeed caused by the right-side pulmonary embolism.

captplaystation
7th May 2013, 20:05
A bit of a reminder that even if you don't need to get up & move around (for physiological "comfort" reasons ) on your 3- 7hr flight from Scandilands to the South of Spain /Canarias, you assuredly SHOULD.

It also reminds me that I should take a break on my 5hr drive to/from work, & not only for fatigue.

Sad.