PDA

View Full Version : Military Landing Fees?

F4TCT
26th Apr 2013, 20:43
Hi all,

Seen in the VFR guides that show Military airfields and next to landing fees, it says something like Military rates or something.

So me and the old instructor took this a little further and phoned up Brize Norton to ask for either a VFR T&G or ILS. The manager chap in the tower said yep, your more than welcome to come through providing you have the correct insurance - which the flying school has.

The only sticking point was the price! He had no idea and we didn't dare take him up on the offer as id rather have not ended up with a £200 fee.

Any ideas what this would possibly cost? Im keen to do a touch and go on military soil purely for the sake of it.

Dan

phiggsbroadband
26th Apr 2013, 22:43
Hi F4TCT, I asked RAF Valley many years ago what their landing fee was, and they said it was £48.50. plus £5 for something else (forgotten what.). And this was in the days when the terminal building was being used for commercial airline transport, to Cardiff.

There is one alternative (on Angelsey.)... Visit Mona on a weekend, when the military are not there, and pay just the usual £10 to the Mona Flying Club.

Whopity
27th Apr 2013, 07:27
For Brize landing fees you would need to talk to Station Ops RAF Brize Norton Operations :-
Telephone +44(0)1993 897551There is a fee of around £60 and a supplement if you don't have the £7.5M insurance requirement. There is a very good airfield guide here (http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafbrizenorton/rafcms/mediafiles/65CB2039_5056_A318_A86951C16AD830C1.pdf) It makes no mention of fees!
Unless you have a reason to go there, there is little point, as there is nothing to do other than pay the fees!

F4TCT
27th Apr 2013, 16:34
Thanks, just something to stick in the log book i suppose and is a little different.

Flyingmac
27th Apr 2013, 19:31
If you just want a military airfield in your log you could fly into the next safety day at Linton. No landing fee, but a small fee for the packed lunch provided by the RAF. Not too far for you to go, and you'd learn something about how the local bases operate.

F4TCT
28th Apr 2013, 08:06
ooo thanks, will look out for that!

Dan

mad_jock
28th Apr 2013, 08:12
but a small fee for the packed lunch provided by the RAF

I just had a flash back to white butty boxes and those long life sausage rolls and two bits of cheap stale bread with industrial marge spread on them with a slice of plastic cheese.

The Old Fat One
28th Apr 2013, 08:18
^^

MJ...should have got yourself a nimrod trip back in the good ol cold war days.

Steaks n'stuff + all the dairy cream sponge you could eat. I'm fat for a reason!

jollyrog
28th Apr 2013, 08:22
You could also volunteer for Project Propeller (http://www.projectpropeller.co.uk/2013/01/project-propeller-2013.html) and do something nice for veterans at the same time.

mad_jock
28th Apr 2013, 08:26
I was in green. I think they fed us on £2.60 a day.

Grob Queen
28th Apr 2013, 20:18
I think landing fees for our place are around £40 and you must have the MoD Insurance waiver. Though if you wanted to land during the week, theres no chance, but at the weekend, with us club dwellers around, there is a slight possibility.

You would still, however, need to ring Cranwell Ops on 01400 267377. Of course we also have our annual Fly In...where landing fees are only £15. PM me if you would like to know more!:)

mary meagher
29th Apr 2013, 07:18
Military airfields in my logbook? now let me think back.....

Benson, Chalgrove, Fairford, (thanks to approval obtained by Brize ATC) North Luffenham, RAE Bedford....

and Upper Heyford, but only in the car park....after it was decommissioned....

tmmorris
29th Apr 2013, 11:40
Was Chalgrove still military then?

Tim

englishal
29th Apr 2013, 12:29
We don't pay military landing fees ;)

I am not quite sure how this works, but essentially we have a pilot who we let fly our aeroplane who is a member of a military flying club. We then applied to some High Command Air or something and sent off details of the pilots who fly the aeroplane and insurance details and stuff, and then they issued a certificate to us which allows us to use military airfields.

Flying at mil fields is actually good fun, and they can't be more helpful. Last time we did some ccts at Yeovilton between the helicopters and FJs doing PARs and it was no bother to them at all. We have also used the place at the weekends out of hours. I am not sure of the military flying club pilot has to be onboard (we know two though so it is ok!) and we normally phone first to see if it is ok. The only one that turned us down was Chivenor as they don't accept fixed wing traffic apparently.

mary meagher
29th Apr 2013, 22:13
Not really, Tim. They used to test Martin Baker ejector seats weekdays, the last time I landed my glider there, the whole joint was locked up for the weekend, and the only way to get out was on the end of a rope.....attached to a 180 hp PA18.

ericferret
2nd May 2013, 21:26
Cranwell up to 1000kg £18 plus vat, two hours parking free then £16 plus vat an hour.

Thats from this week.