PDA

View Full Version : Firefox 20, downloads

BOAC
26th Apr 2013, 08:00
Until this am, FF always saved downloads in the selected folder /user/xxx/downloads. This folder still has all my previous downloads in, but if I download today I get an empty 'download' folder. I have reset the location several times, but if I now select 'Downloads' it takes me to a tree headed 'Library' and an empty folder (second down below 'History') titled Downloads. I cannot see anything relevant in the Mozilla profile. Where in about:config is the download location stored or where else do I look?

If I run as admin, FF still correctly shows downloaded items.

mixture
26th Apr 2013, 09:23
Preferences > General > Downloads perhaps ?

BOAC
26th Apr 2013, 09:46
Don't have 'Preferences' and as per post 1 I have reset several times using Tools/Options/General/Downloads.

mixture
26th Apr 2013, 10:10
Trash your fox profile and create a new one ?

BOAC
26th Apr 2013, 10:18
Yes - I had to do that in XP, so I'll give it a go.

Edit: No change - still will not accept the chosen location and reverts to the empty 'downloads' folder as per post #1.

green granite
26th Apr 2013, 11:02
Hmmmm I tend to use palemoon nowadays but it's the same thing (firefox) but optimised for windows, no problems with V20 of that. So I opened FireFox and updated it to V20 and there's no problem either it still downloads to the normal download folder. I've copied the relevent bit from about:config for you to compare with my FireFox V20:

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i11/orangeherald/downloader_zps3c42633c.png (http://s68.photobucket.com/user/orangeherald/media/downloader_zps3c42633c.png.html)

mixture
26th Apr 2013, 11:07
BOAC,

If you're able to reproduce it on a fresh profile, then it sounds like a bug and you ought to file a bug report with them.

BOAC
26th Apr 2013, 12:31
gg - thanks for the pointers. Very strange! In about:config the user set directory is absolutely correct BUT when I 'open the download folder' is opens user/AppData/Local/Temp where today's downloads indeed are, and not user/downloads where it should.

I had an update to Win7 yesterday and am wondering if this is a Windows thing rather than a Firefox? I have checked the reg entries and they all seem ok.

green granite
26th Apr 2013, 13:01
I had that W7 update as well BOAC but mine is ok. I'll have a dig around and see what I can find.

BOAC
26th Apr 2013, 13:10
Ta - cannot see anything on Google about downloads opening in appdata. I would normally suspect a corrupt user profile except the reg settings are ok.

I have set FF to 'ask' about download location for the time being.I still see the correct folder if I run as admin.

green granite
26th Apr 2013, 13:11
have a look at:

Firefox 20+: re-enable old download manager ? mozillaZine Forums (http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2687423)

BOAC
26th Apr 2013, 15:16
Thanks - worked through that with no real change, BUT I now download into the right folder. Only problem is that while all the files going back to xxxx are actually there in that folder, when I open the folder (via FF), although it is now opening the correct download folder, I only see the downloads of today onwards. Opening it via Explorer shows all downloads including today's.

So - two forward and one back? The mystery deepens.

le Pingouin
26th Apr 2013, 15:54
FF isn't reading the directory contents but referring to a list of downloaded files. Entries can be deleted from the list without actually deleting the file and your list has been reset.

BOAC
26th Apr 2013, 15:59
Le P - what would cause the entries to be removed? I have not done that. Also does not explain FF opening the temp folder at one point although that seems to have cleared.

EDIT@ I think I have the answer to the first part - my 'History' now covers only today and yesterday whereas before it went back weeks. Again - no selection from me. I had run CCleaner but 'history' was deselected.

Ancient Observer
27th Apr 2013, 11:15
I'm glad that I do not understand some of the threads in the pootery section. It means that I have less reasons to be worried. It's such a relief.

Keef
27th Apr 2013, 12:58
My old schoolteachers (1949-55) had the right attitude and imparted it to me...

You WILL obey!

I got very cross with Microsoft creating "default" locations for my stuff, buried deep where I couldn't find them. I set up my own locations: Drive I for Internet, folder "Downloads". I managed to persuade Windows that no other place exists where downloads may go. It works well.

E-mail likewise goes in I:/Mail rather than umpty levels down on C: