PDA

View Full Version : NPPL SSEA to LAPL(A) to EASA PPL, advice sought

6UP
24th Apr 2013, 20:39
I have spent the last couple of hours looking through this, can anyone tell me if I can do this or not??

I have and NPPL with SSEA and SLMG ratings, both valid at present. I have a FRTOL also and a NPPL Self Declaration medical.

I got my licence through the glider pilots licence/NPPL SLMG route then did a SSEA conversion. I have not done a supervised 150NM nav ex and only 5 hours of my training (the SSEA conversion) were with a JAR instructor.

Checking the CAA Conversion report in CAP804 section 4 part p it seems to upgrade this to an LAPL (A) I would need to:

1: Hold NPPL SSEA, which I have.
2: Hold LAPL Medical or class 2 medical, don't have either yet but should meet the requirements.
3: UK FRTOL Level 4, this I have also
4: Knowledge of Part-OPS Part-FCL relevent to LAPA(A), this seems to point me back to the CAA conversion report but would really appreciate any clarification on this.
5: Complete 6 hours after licence issue, own a share in a aircraft already (SSEA) so wont be a problem
6: Comply with LAPL(A) recency requirments, which I do.

So it's mainly part 4 I'm struggling with, Are there any requirments with regards to total hours of dual instruction etc that I might fall foul of?

Secondly, assuming I can and do follow this route to the LAPL(A), the requirments to upgrade to the EASA PPL seem to be

(b) Specific requirements for applicants holding an LAPL(A). Applicants for a PPL (A)
holding an LAPL(A) shall have completed at least 15 hours of flight time on
aeroplanes after the issue of the LAPL (A), of which at least 10 shall be flight
instruction completed in a training course at an ATO. This training course shall
include at least 4 hours of supervised solo flight time, including at least 2 hours
of solo cross-country flight time with at least 1 cross-country flight of at least
270 km (150 NM), during which full stop landings at 2 aerodromes different from
the aerodrome of departure shall be made.

So 15 hours, at least 10 at an ATO 4 supervised solo, 2 solo cross country 150NM nav ex.

5 of the 15 hours I could do in my aircraft, 6 would need to be with an instructor at an ATO, how would I stand with using my aircraft for the other 4 hours supervised solo and Nav Ex?? Or would that take me out of the realms of an ATO and therefore not count, meaning I would need to hire the ATO aircraft for the solo work.

If technically I could use my aircraft, would an ATO be agreeable to this?

Any help/pointers will be really gratefully received, legal docs are not my forte at the best of times but my head is spinning after the last couple of hours.

Kind Regards

6up

xrayalpha
26th Apr 2013, 08:24
Hi 6up,

Most of this was discussed a few weeks ago on:

http://www.pprune.org/private-flying/512211-nppl-m-new-easa-lapl-conversion-route.html#post7799368

According to my calcs, your route is feasible.

Two things:

One, I suspect that your own aircraft will only be suitable if an EASA Annexe 1 aircraft (ie on a C of A, like Cessna, Piper etc). If an LAA type, it will be Annexe 2 and so outside of EASA. (I think FTOs also have to declare the type of aircraft they use to EASA, and so it would be more hassle than it is worth to add your aircraft to their paperwork if you own a 172 etc) Be aware, with transition, there are still mainly the old-type RFS around, rather than FTOs, so rules may not be so strict yet?

Second. Yes, as you see, I asked about "the knowledge", but got referenced to a 1,000 page document! Aaaargh!

kevkdg
26th Apr 2013, 14:21
There is a direct route from NPPL SLMG to EASA PPL with TMG restriction, which once you've taken I asusme you can remove the TMG restriction:

http://www.pprune.org/private-flying/504139-nppl-slmg-grandfather-rights-easa-licensing.html

Cheers