PDA

View Full Version : What is BHX like from a pilot's point of view

Jay Dubbya
26th Apr 2002, 17:46
Hi,

I'm new to pprune, and this is my first ever post. I'm not a commercial pilot (but have flown a Piper Warrior on a few lessons), just a meagre individual that knows a thing or two about commercial aircraft(!)

I live very close to BHX (or EGBB if you prefer) and have always wondered if the position of the main runway (15/33) poses any problems for a/c that are landing. The strip seems to run almost north/south, rather than east/west at most other major UK airports.

Does BHX suffer from bad crosswinds? I quite often see CRJ's and 737's struggling onto the asphalt on a windy day. Also, when aircraft depart from rwy 33, there appears to be a substantial 'upslope' - Does this also pose any problems? ie weight restrictions, slower speed increase et al.

I have heard that the ATC people based at BHX are excellent too, and have always wanted to know what pilots flying into the airport think of it.

cheers,
Jim

Bluejet
26th Apr 2002, 18:43
Yep, that's about the size of it.

Always have crosswinds. Can be particularly hairy on Rwy 15. The bump in the middle of the runway is not a problem as you are either on the ground or airborne when you hit it.

And ATC are excellent. However, you would have to be barking mad to fly privately out of there as it is too busy. I've personally been asked if I minded delaying my take off to allow two warriors to land that had been holding for 40 mins for the priviledge. We weren't tight on our schedule so we said yes. It was as if we'd told them they had won the lottery. I'd hate to be paying for that hold off.

Cheers.

Human Factor
26th Apr 2002, 22:32
Agree with Bluejet,

ATC are superb. Bear in mind it's the only airport in the UK with the main runway at 90 degrees to the prevailing wind, except on about two days a year. The days of 06/24 are apparently numbered as well. As a PPL, you'd be much better off flying from Wellesbourne or even Cov, even though they may not be as convenient. Otherwise, you'll forever be orbiting to let the big jets in.

Paddington*
26th Apr 2002, 22:58
Sounds like you've got BHX sussed JD; Crosswinds & great ATC. From the point of view of working for a Big Airline based there it's been a very friendly base to fly out of and most of us will be sad to move on to Fortress Heathrow. :(

Hello HF. Are you missing Brum yet? :D Or enjoying sunnier climes! :cool: x P

Jay Dubbya
27th Apr 2002, 13:44
Cheers for the info guys. I can relate to the comments about general aviation at BHX - We managed to get our Warrior up off 33 on a busy Saturday afternoon not so long ago, and we hardly had to wait for departure. Bear in mind a BA A319 had just departed ahead of us, and we had an AMM 757 and an AIH A321 waiting at the 33 hold. Alas, as the airport gets busier, I think we'll see less and less flying lessons from the UK's fifth airport. I'm intending to go to COV in the future. At least there is some interesting stuff to see there (DC-3 and DC-6 spring to mind)!

All the best,
Jim