PDA

View Full Version : Pilot salaries- why have they gone down?

ILS27R
26th Apr 2002, 17:09
Just wondering why have pilot salaries gone down- or should I say not increased inline with other professions? I always thought 60K for a jet line Capt was good pay! What sort of percentage decrease in salary have we seen in the last 20 or so years- and what were Captains earning back in the late 70's and early 80's?

Many thanks,

ILS27R

fireflybob
26th Apr 2002, 17:19
Because when you are in a job (= "just over broke") they buy you at wholesale and sell you at retail - that's just the way it is!

fantom
26th Apr 2002, 17:20
supply and demand.:(

411A
26th Apr 2002, 18:56
...well surprise, surprise...just like in every profession...and not likely to change...anytime soon.

gofer
27th Apr 2002, 08:19
Hey guys its true in most professions that 'mature'. I started out in IT over 30 years ago that was the cats whiskers. My purchasing power (the only true way to measure it all, has never got better - I'm starting to correct the dip just a little now that they are talking of me getting out on early-pension !

That is without thinking of the purchasing power my wife and kids consumed - if I take that into account my personal pocket money was probably best as a teenager or just before I married.

basil fawlty
27th Apr 2002, 12:14
Right now there are simply more qualified pilots around than there are jobs. As stated earlier its supply and demand. In general, its true to say that there are more aircraft flying around now than ever before, and the number of ex mil pilots (the traditional source of airline pilots) has dwindled, but the number of people sponsoring themselves through training has skyrocketed over the last decade. Why? well, it is much easier to go out and get a big financial loan to cover the costs these days. The banks etc. are prepared to lend larger sums than before and are less stringent about who they lend money to nowadays. The big winners in all of this are the flying schools, from small club up thru to the likes of oxford. Everyone has a choice about where, and on what they spend their money on, and for many it will be the best £40000 they will ever spend, but for others its the road to shattered dreams and a lifetime of debt. I know a number of flying schools have "gone bust" over the years, but its rarely through lack of business. Its more like mismanagement, or the directors/shareholders taking too much cash out of the business, therefore making insolvency a much more possible occurance. How many flying schools have you seen in the UK that operate out of tatty buildings with tatty aircraft, yet the manager has a porsche or such like in the car park? Anyway, I digress...its just a thought. The first two lines of the post answered your question!

Boss Raptor
27th Apr 2002, 12:23
Basic economics, supply and demand...too many of you...cost reverting to mean level...