PDA

View Full Version : PA28 or G115

DarrenM488
19th Apr 2013, 20:50
Ok, the background is that I've logged 11 hours training on flex-wing, but fancy a bit more power, size and the ability to rent once qualified (very rare with microlights)

Anyway I had an hour in a G115 as I much prefer the look/style of low wing, plus I'm not the smallest of blokes so C152 pretty much out of the question.

My question is though, what is the general consensus of opinion between a G115 and a PA28 for training?

I had originally enquired about the PA28, but was recommended to try the G115 by the school as it's modern and "popular"
Although new to fixed wing I have to say that I found it difficult to trim, and taxiing was very entertaining, especially as I'm used to reverse controls from the flex.

Thoughts welcome, I'll probably book an hour in the PA28 but interested to hear others thoughts and experiences.

znww5
19th Apr 2013, 22:43
Each to their own of course, but you'll find far more PA28s available for rent than G115s after you qualitfy. If you wanted/needed to change school you'd also be hard pushed to find other G115s, but you'd be knee deep in PA28s.

Piper.Classique
20th Apr 2013, 01:46
I don't think it really matters. You can train in one and do a type conversion later. Just choose the one you like and can afford now. You can learn to fly in anything, pretty well. What matters much more is the quality of instruction you get.

Sir George Cayley
20th Apr 2013, 16:38
Landing a slab wing PA28 or a Grob are both a bit of a challenge to low time pilots. Later PA28s with the 'Warrior' wing are a pussycat in comparison.

I've done lots of hours in both and in retrospect enjoyed the PA 28s a tad more than the Grobs. Clearly, if you are a larger gentleman the engine in a Grob is only a 118 hp Lycoming whereas you have a wider choice of engines with PA 28s.

That said the Grob is much easier to get in and out of due to the sliding canopy.

I don't think I've been much help but good luck anyway.

SGC

sevenstrokeroll
20th Apr 2013, 20:20
go with the piper PA28...and if you need a reason to justify it, go see the movie, "Goldfinger".

;-)

DarrenM488
20th Apr 2013, 20:43
Thanks for your replies folks.
I've got another hour booked for Friday in the Grob, hopefully with calmer winds!

Must remember to anticipate the steering when taxiing!!! :eek:

Thecope
20th Apr 2013, 21:18
Personally g115 as an air cadet I fly them. However, as far as I know only 1 flight school in the uk has them. Don't quote me on that though.

wsmempson
21st Apr 2013, 10:17
An interesting POV, SGC, as I thought that the hershey-bar wing PA28 was far more predictable a device in the landing phase than the taper-wing variety - which, if you don't nail the landing speed exactly, is prone to float and float and float (and then drop). The angle of glide in the hershey bar wing is much steeper (think of a gliding brick, more than an aircraft) and the window winder trim on the ceiling is a bit of an acquired taste too, but the taper-wing was better in turbulance than the slab - something to with wing loading i'm told!

I learnt on a late warrior and then bought a PA28-140 as my first aircraft and flew 320 hrs in it over my 2 year period of ownership. I now own a Saratoga PA32R-301 and having owned a Cherokee 6, would describe the relationship between the two in much the same terms; however, the taper wing retractable is at least 20kts quicker than the slab wing fixed gera, for the same power settings.

A and C
21st Apr 2013, 14:30
Having flown both types I don't think it matters which type you choose, it is the quality of the instruction that is paramount.

Ebbie 2003
21st Apr 2013, 15:01
The constant chord wing on the earlier PA28 does have the tendency to lose its lift faster than the taper wing - the taper wing being designed to progressively shed lift - so e out all the power a little too high and the constant chord will give a heavier landing, possibly enough to "punch the u/c up throght the wing" according to some sourcez.

I have a Archer II with the taper wing I find it easy to land folloeing the POH speeds and technique - I can see how the constant chord wing may require some time with an instructor to see the differences.

On the overall question I would think a PA28 a better bet if as one contributor said there are so few - other than that maybe the price should be a consideration, if only a marginal consideration.