PDA

View Full Version : David Clark - headset purchasing 101

Koosaima
19th Apr 2013, 11:53
Ok so I found out the other day how personal, flying can be. I thought you could just turn up at an airfield jump in a plane and do a lesson. Didn't realise you need your own:

Map
Logbook (well that's a given)
Nav computer
Headset
Manual (specific to the plane your flying)

And........headphones. :)

Nw I've made my bed with David Clark (and I know peltor are a fantastic brand) ......in the "I can't afford $1000 on a Bose headset" category. However...

I've bought H10-76 (the military one) with a conversion kit for £120 ($180 I think that translates.

Has any one used these headsets, and are they all they're cracked up to be? I heard nothing but good things and if the military use them well great, but I've had the experience of seeing the cost and quality that goes into "military stuff" when I worked on a Jaguar and saw all the overly priced toys in the workshop hangar at RAF St.. (Something or other) :p

Mariner9
19th Apr 2013, 12:29
Wouldn't the time to have asked been before the purchase rather than after? ;)

My view for what its worth is DC make some good, robust, reliable stuff and their customer service is brilliant. Other brands may fit better/be more comfortable/offer better passive &/or active noise reduction etc but its a personal choice and what suits some particular people/aircraft combinations may not suit another.

Jonty
19th Apr 2013, 13:12
Its too late now but the best one to get is the H10-13.4.

Fostex
19th Apr 2013, 13:27
eBay is also littered with very good, nearly new DC headsets. Sadly there are folks who buy all the gear and then find they are unable to proceed due to medical or financial reasons and need to dispose of the gear,

I was able to pick up a few 13.4's this way that were boxed as new, but for less than half price retail.

Koosaima
19th Apr 2013, 13:30
Asking first before buying would take the fun out of it ;)

They were going so cheap I just jumped on them. I did have an idea that if I weren't happy with them they can become my passengers set hopefully when I've got my PPL.

I've tried on a set of 13.4s and they seemed comfortable but I've only used the peltor 8006 which I can only assume is pretty much on par.

Your right though 13.4s would be a safe bet because they're specific for civi aircraft. I guess my main worry is the microphone the 10-76 has a dynamic mic which possibly won't work on the dr400, I've got the adaptor for the u-174 lead but also whether the mechanics are better.

Headsets seem to be a very grey area, it's a pity you can't try before you buy :ugh:

Mickey Kaye
19th Apr 2013, 17:06
I've also brought a pair of 10-76 off ebay from a guy in the states. I believe he brought a job lot of the military and then converted them to civil use. I also paid a little extra to have the better quality thicker david clark under cut gel seals which was an extra 20 dollars (why an earth such seals cost 32 quid from transair haven knows).

To be honest comfort wise there as good as 13.4 and sound reduction to me they are the same.

My only disappointment is the cable which IS NOt david clarke quality. It does the job but I doubt it will last as long.

Koosaima
20th Apr 2013, 17:17
Well they've arrived today, quite impressed, they came with the gel cushions and fit real nice. The boom for the mic is a bit flimsy compared to the peltor 8006 but the frame is more robust and I think more comfortable. I think I've made the right choice. But I can see why it's such a pickle choosing because they are very close in comparison :) thank u for your input :D