PDA

View Full Version : Hello from a newbie!

StuartUK
18th Apr 2013, 21:59
Hi all,

This is my first post to PPRuNe and I'm sure that it won't be my last!

I've just taken up my ppl tuition and currently only have 3hr of PUT time recorded over the past 4 weeks. It would have been over double that if the weather had wanted to play ball but as I'm quickly learning, the weather is something that all of us PPL'ers are constantly frustrated by.

I feel like I'm spending every spare minute studying for the air law exam and hope to sit it in the next week or so. Currently hitting an average of between 85% -> 92% on the tests on PPLCruiser but I'm not entirely confident so will keep reading the books until I'm happy.

I passed my medical this week, which I am extremely happy about. It was hopefully the only thing outside of my direct control that could stop me from continuing my training and gaining my license. If I stuff up now then its entirely down to me not studying/practicing enough.

I've picked up a super cheap DC H10-13.4 from flea-bay. It'll need a bit of attention (new headband pad, mic cover, etc) but I still think I got a bit of a bargain. Hopefully it'll last me at least the duration of my tuition.

One of the things that I'm struggling with at this early stage in the learning process is taxying. Whilst I don't think I'm dreadful at it, I'm still I long way off from being happy with it. Taxying around corners seems to be fine but when I attempt to go in a straight line the plane starts to do a little dance around the taxi markings. I don't seem to be able to be subtle with the brakes. Does anyone have any wise tips on taxying?

I've just read one of the posts about the average time for to complete the first solo and I'm completely surprised at the low hours that some people have done it in. If the first handful of lessons are on the basics (effects of controls, straight & level flight, climbing, descending, turns) before moving onto landings, etc and each takes at least an hour then how can the solo be done in single figure hours?

I probably should add that I'm learning in a C152 and, as I have my career on track, my PPL will be used as a slightly expensive hobby rather than having any grand expectations of being a full time pilot. Although that does sound quite nice!

End of rambling post.

Thanks,
Stuart

Local Variation
18th Apr 2013, 22:38
Sounds like you maybe taxying a little too fast as well as over controlling. Try controlling the taxying speed using power rather than brakes. Reduce the power setting to slow down, add it on to speed up and avoid riding the brakes on a relatively high power taxy setting.

Look further ahead when taxying and that will reduce any over controlling and keep the nose wheel off the centreline to avoid typical C152 nose wheel shimmy.

Regarding time to progress.The aspects that you do need to time consider are your exams as they have a direct affect on how you progress through your flying training and if not done in a timely manner can cause you to waste money as you sit stuck, literally burning money to stay current at the particular level you're at. I see many students today stuck in the circuit unable to progress as they have not undertaken and passed air law, for example. Exams need equal amount of focus as flying hours.

thing
18th Apr 2013, 23:23
I've just read one of the posts about the average time for to complete the first solo and I'm completely surprised at the low hours that some people have done it in. If the first handful of lessons are on the basics (effects of controls, straight & level flight, climbing, descending, turns) before moving onto landings, etc and each takes at least an hour then how can the solo be done in single figure hours?

Some people have previous experience say on gliders which puts them a bit ahead of the curve. Don't worry about it.

Don't sweat the taxiing, as long as you're not swerving from one side of the taxiway to the other then just keep it reasonably staight reasonably on the centreline.

Steve150
19th Apr 2013, 00:37
I remember when I was training I also struggled with the taxying part. I always wondered how others made it look so easy. I also struggled with the breaks. I never found it easy to break evenly but don't worry as eventually it will all come together. If you think you'll benefit you can ask your instructor to spend some more time on the ground practising.

Good luck with the air law exam. By far the worst one to learn for me.

Where are you doing your training?

sevenstrokeroll
19th Apr 2013, 02:07
stuart...

go out and BUY, "STICK AND RUDDER", read it, make it one with your pilot soul. wolfgang langweische is the author.

as to taxiing...it takes time...in an hour lesson, you taxi for less than 5 minutes

you have practiced less than 15 minutes...it takes at least an hour.

Mariner9
19th Apr 2013, 03:59
Welcome to the forum Stuart.

We all learn at different paces so don't worry too much about the sky-gods who soloed in less than 10 hours, it's not a race. Accurate taxiing will come with practise - steering with your feet will be a new experience and it takes time to master. Remember how rubbish your clutch control was on your 1st few driving lessons?

alexbrett
19th Apr 2013, 08:26
I would agree with sevenstrokeroll's suggestion - Stick and Rudder helped me massively, as it really got me to understand Angle of Attack and its importance, plus a few other things. It is quite an old book so there's a few bits you can probably ignore at this stage (all the bits about tailwheel aircraft etc, which were the norm for training when it was written), but everything else about AoA and use of rudder etc is valid on pretty much any aircraft.

Taxiing wise as others have said you might be over-controlling - try looking further ahead (I remember that helped me get my take-off rolls under control when I started doing them, as these were initially rather wobbly).

Finally, in terms of hours - I think the big thing is that while most of the circuit is fairly straightforward (well, once you've done it a good few times so it doesn't seem like everything is happening at once like it will at first!), the actual landing is the tricky bit, and essentially that will take a different amount of time to 'click' for different people - if it happens very quickly, then you can solo in a short time, for others it takes longer. I seem to remember I did my first solo around 20 hours in, after what seemed like forever doing dual circuits - ultimately it doesn't matter - the more time you have in the air the better.

One minor note is that while lessons might be nominally an hour, you'll probably find some of the earlier ones only being 40-45 minutes, as any more and you likely end up overloaded and won't learn anything (particularly early circuits lessons), so that might help to explain how 10 hours or less is possible in some cases.

Heston
19th Apr 2013, 08:30
I've just read one of the posts about the average time for to complete the first solo and I'm completely surprised at the low hours that some people have done it in.Its an internet forum! Don't believe everything you read on it. Very occasionally folk can be "economical" with the truth on here. Not me though (I soloed in 3 hours by the way;)).

Anyway welcome to the forum and to the obsession that flying will become for you, if it hasn't already.

Here's my advice: make sure you enjoy every minute of your training and don't worry about when you go solo, or when you'll get your licence. You are already a pilot, these are just steps in the learning journey that continues for ever after you've qualified.

Do you know what you want to do with your licence once you have it? Its worth thinking and planning for that now so that you can seamlessly move to what you want to do at that point (danger otherwise of a long gap and difficulty getting back into it).

Edit: another vote for "Stick and Rudder"

Koosaima
19th Apr 2013, 11:30
I'm at the same stage as you whilst learning - minus the medical. Where I train our runway is essentially a field and I'm all over the place. (Great advice from the posts.) I'm training in a dr400 with no toe brakes so I found less throttle equals more control, it's not a race to the bottom of the runway anyways :). Plus I also found I kept staring at the fence to the left of the taxiway, being mindful of my wing then suddenly I notice I'm heading for it. Looking at the farthest point in the direction your going helps me keep my plane in a straight line :ok:

Gertrude the Wombat
19th Apr 2013, 13:27
less throttle equals more control, it's not a race to the bottom of the runway anyways http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/smile.gif
Yes. Going too fast on grass is a good recipe for a prop strike and shock-loaded engine, which the school won't thank you for ...

StuartUK
19th Apr 2013, 13:34
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the replies and the great advice about taxying (taxiing?). I've ordered a copy of Stick & Rudder from Amazon so hopefully that will arrive at some point next week.

Steve150 - Shoreham is my local aerodrome. Only 10 minutes drive from where I live so I count myself as pretty lucky to live so close to where I'm learning.

As I was slightly an aviation nerd before starting my lessons I'm now completely hooked my it. I look forward to the weekends even more so now knowing that, weather permitting, I'll be up in the air again. I have another two lessons this weekend and I absolutely can't wait. I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve!

Thanks guys.
Stuart

bravobravo74
19th Apr 2013, 13:54
All the best with your training Stuart.

I'm not an instructor but if I were to give you five quick pieces of advice they would be:

Secure your seat in the same position every time you fly
Commit the attitudes for all stages of flight to your mind's eye
Maintain light control pressures and strive to develop finesse
Lookout, lookout, lookout
Appreciate that your cognitive capacity reduces during flight
Good luck and enjoy yourself.

thing
19th Apr 2013, 14:02
Good points by Bravo there.

I'm often surprised by fellow pilots who mighty be flying a leg with me who move the yoke around like they're driving a steamroller. One hand on the yoke and don't grip it like a vice; unless I'm landing/taking off/doing something brutal to the a/c I tend to fly with just my thumb and forefinger on the yoke.

I know it's a machine but try and have some empathy for the a/c; everything is done smoooothly.