PDA

View Full Version : Privileges & Conditions of an FI,CRI and CRE (A)

likair
15th Apr 2013, 11:57
Hello there,

I want to make a reference to a document where it outlines the privileges of an FI(A), CRI(A), instructing for check rides, renewal/revalidation, and CRE(A) I am aware of CAP804 where it states the Privileges and conditions (FCL.905.FI) and Restricted privileges (FCL.910.FI) amongst others.

Is a CRE(A) able to sign a renewal/re validation of an expired SEP rating? Or does it has to be also approved by the Member State Authority?
Is a restricted FI(A) able perform check rides?

Talkdownman
15th Apr 2013, 12:22
Request official definition of 'check ride'.

Whopity
15th Apr 2013, 16:05
It appears that you know the document. A FI, FI(R) may give instruction for a Licence or Rating, a CRI may only give instruction for a Rating.

A CRE may sign a C of R for a revalidation or renewal of a SEP provided they hold SEP privileges and it is not more than 3 years since it expired. If the CRE has a a different State of licence issue to the candidate then permission from the candidate's NAA is required.

As stated, what do you mean by a check ride? FIs cannot conduct tests but they can conduct "club" checks for currency etc.

S-Works
15th Apr 2013, 16:57
you need to be a little more explicit in your question. What an FI(A) can do is pretty constant across EASA now. A restricted FI(A) has to work under the supervision of an unrestricted FI(A) nominated to be a supervising FI(A).

Most training now has to be done through an ATO so the supervision required should be available.

If you look further down in Part FCL you will see the priviliges of FE, CRE etc but who can sign what varies from country to country. I hold UK Examiner approvals and so can sign licences on UK holders, as we are a European company we have pilots from all over Europe and I have been approved by each NAA that we test for to do tests and revalidations and what I can sign in terms of licence entries and what must be sent to the NAA for processing varies wildly between each country. For example Hungary require the paperwork for every entry on a licence to be sent to the NAA and new Part FCL licence is issued every time. Spain allow me to sign a licence for a rating that has not expired but require me to send the paperwork to them for re issue of the licence even it has expired by a day. Italy is something different again!

As far as what we can sign or cant, the examiner certificate states what we can and cant sign. All or our ratings for the conduct of a test need to be valid. For certificates of experience then we need a valid licence but don't actually require the rating that we are revalidating by experience to be valid or even held.

likair
15th Apr 2013, 16:58
Thanks a lot for the information given!!!

Yes, by 'Check ride' I meant a flight lesson or two with a FI's flight school or club before you are actually allowed to fly their aircraft solo.

Is a restricted FI(R) allowed to do this type of flight instruction? Or its the flight school or club's discretion whether it should be done or not?
And if it can be done and the FI(R) identifies the 'student pilot' or 'check ride pilot' that is 'unsafe' to fly the aircraft to whom can be referred to for further training?

A CRE may sign a C of R for a revalidation or renewal of a SEP provided they hold SEP privileges and it is not more than 3 years since it expired. If the CRE has a a different State of licence issue to the candidate then permission from the candidate's NAA is required.

Whopity can you please let me know from where I can find this information?

likair
15th Apr 2013, 17:07
Thanks for your post bose-x.

If you look further down in Part FCL you will see the priviliges of FE, CRE etc but who can sign what varies from country to country. I hold UK Examiner approvals and so can sign licences on UK holders, as we are a European company we have pilots from all over Europe and I have been approved by each NAA that we test for to do tests and revalidations and what I can sign in terms of licence entries and what must be sent to the NAA for processing varies wildly between each country. For example Hungary require the paperwork for every entry on a licence to be sent to the NAA and new Part FCL licence is issued every time. Spain allow me to sign a licence for a rating that has not expired but require me to send the paperwork to them for re issue of the licence even it has expired by a day. Italy is something different again!

Yes understood, I am also aware that each and every Member State has it's own NAA with it's own regulations. What I want to know is; what is the official document that holds all this information of what an FI and Examiners can do and sign off C&R...? Where do you actually look for your privileges to sign off a SEP rating on an Italian or Spanish license?
I guess there is like a CAP804 document from each Member State....:rolleyes:

S-Works
15th Apr 2013, 18:04
You have to contact each NAA ask them what they require. It's a full time job for me at work just getting the approvals for this.

There is no one document that contains the national requirements just the basic privileges as outlines in Part FCL which are clear enough. It's the reason why EASA require an examiner brief for foreign examiners.

Whopity
15th Apr 2013, 18:57
I guess there is like a CAP804 document from each Member State....I hope not! CAP 804 is a disastrous document that mixes National licences with Part FCL licences by copying chunks of Part FCL which is totally unnecessary.

As National Authorities should comply with Part FCL without being any more stringent, they do not have a remit to make up their own requirements unless Part FCL specifically allows them to. We will never have a level playing field if each State does its own thing.

Where do you actually look for your privileges to sign off a SEP rating on an Italian or Spanish license? You will be SEP qualified in your own State and you will have notified the NAA in each State and obtained a briefing from them.
Whopity can you please let me know from where I can find this information?Regulation 1178/2011 FCL.1005.CRE CRE — Privileges
FCL.1015 Examiner standardisation(c) Holders of an examiner certificate shall not conduct skill tests, proficiency checks or assessments of competence of an applicant for which the competent authority is not the same that issued the examiner’s certificate, unless:
(1) they have informed the competent authority of the applicant of their intention to conduct the skill test, proficiency check or assessment of competence and of the scope of their privileges as examiners;
(2) they have received a briefing from the competent authority of the applicant on the elements mentioned in (b)(3).

likair
16th Apr 2013, 15:28
Brilliant...that clarifies quite a big chunk of the big question mark I had!!
Thanks a lot for the replies and information!!

Happy Wanderer
18th Apr 2013, 17:29
A FI, FI(R) may give instruction for a Licence or Rating, a CRI may only give instruction for a Rating.

Understood - Subparts 1 and 3, Part J, CAP804 confirm. For clarity - and apologies if this is a dumb question - using a PPL and a SEP rating as examples, could someone (Whopity?) please give a practical example of what a CRI would not have the necessary privileges to do here, but that an FI could do?

Many thanks :ok:

HW

Whopity
18th Apr 2013, 18:00
A FI can teach for the issue of a PPL with SEP or any other rating the FI is qualified to teach for.

A CRI cannot teach for the issue of any licence, but can teach licence holders for the addition of another Class or Type rating. i.e. they would either hold a different type or class rating or have an expired SEP Class rating.

Put another way a CRI cannot teach ab-initio flying.

Happy Wanderer
18th Apr 2013, 18:34
Understood, many thanks. HW