PDA

View Full Version : FAA to verify the authenticity of EASA licence, fees payable to UK CAA (AGAIN)?

tume
15th Apr 2013, 01:12
I hold a FAA PPL issued on the basis of UK issued JAA license (now EASA). Back in the day I submitted:

to UK CAA: "Application for Verification of a Licence"
and
to FAA: "Verify the Authenticity of a Foreign License"

I also paid the verification fee to UK CAA.

A month ago I received my EASA CPL. Guess what, licence number differs slightly from the previous JAA one and thus no longer matches the one written on the back of my FAA certificate.

I just resumed FAA flight training, contacted local FSDO and a guy there advised I need to go through the foreign license verification process again because the license number has changed. I now regret I ever asked hehe...

The question is, when I apply for verification of a licence to UK CAA, do I have to pay verification fees AGAIN (44 pounds, I believe) just because they changed the licence number? :ugh:

S-Works
15th Apr 2013, 07:02
Yes you do. It's a different licence not just a change of number.

mad_jock
15th Apr 2013, 09:08
Your best just to jump through the hoops and get a standalone license if you are going to continue fly in the US or N reg.

The slightest change in your license means that you have to go through the hoops again.

So when you get an ATPL its the same thing again.

I don't know what they would do if the addresses are different between the tow but I could seem them saying that it was different and to do it again.

MartinCh
15th Apr 2013, 17:02
People have been saying/talking about the need to redo the verification and have the piggyback one re-issued again due to address change. Maybe just ONE voice on pprune quoting asking FAA and that certain fisdo guy/s said 'no biggie' in other words. Also, bear in mind, that if you have good redirection/forwarding of post from your old address, you can argue that the notifying FAA within month of address change, does not apply.

It's ridiculous, having to pay UK CAA for same thing that's been done before, but they follow the laws and keep charging for it too much. I, for example, had to redo the ICAO PPL verification for adding IR US test passed on validation PPL as I 'ran out of time/cash' last time and didn't do full FAA CPL(A). Something that's meant as 'temporary validation' isn't good long term and I know it.

If you change stuff within 6 months of the verification letter date, FAA still consider the letter 'current', so no need to get it again in short time.
In short as said above, different licence number, different 61.75 needed - new one.

bose-x saying 'different licence'. Well, for 61.75 purposes, it doesn't matter if you have CPL or PPL privileges on ICAO licence. What's important, is the class/category and less directly, night or instrument privileges. You can't exercise CPL privileges on FAA PPL ONLY validation anyway. So the 'all limitations and restrictions apply' is about the aircraft and conditions of flight, not PPL vs CPL.
Obviously, issued by same authority. If they moved your licence across states with same number, then the 61.75 wording would be 'off' by a country.. :}

Maoraigh1
15th Apr 2013, 20:40
Address change in 2006 - no problem with the FAA. Done online. But the CAA changed my 1987 licence number. Initially the FAA said I needed to go the whole hog. After I'd payed the CAA, when I took my paperwork to the Denver FSDO, I was told I couldn't be issued with a new licence, as my old one had never been revoked. After checking, he re-issued my licence, re-validated on the new JAR number. If you're near a FSDO, it might be worth a face-to-face meeting, with your paperwork.

BackPacker
15th Apr 2013, 21:02
tume, you said you "resumed flight training". What kind of training is that? Be advised you don't need an FAA piggyback PPL to do FAA CPL training, for instance. Any ICAO PPL satisfies the entry requirements, and the actual flying takes place under the responsibility (and on the license) of the instructor.

So although this whole mess is inconvenient for a whole load of people, if you are already well on your way to a standalone FAA license of some sort, you might not be impacted.

Ellemeet
16th Apr 2013, 18:56
Your license may change. it is the number the FAA looks at.

In other words .. You start with a uk ppl, get your 61.75. then later you add cpl, ir and me to it.. it is all oke .. As long as the number remains the same. it will be interesting to see what happens when converting to EASA.
Does the number change?

Also do not forget that the 61.75 only becomes valid after you have done a bfr.

tume
17th Apr 2013, 03:29
Thanks for the input guys, especially BackPacker. You got me thinking.

I am doing FAA CPL, CFI, CFI-I, perhaps MEI, the whole works.. I am already flying and was confirmed by FSDO that I am allowed to as my medical is still valid, and like you said FAA PPL is not even required for this.

Actually I sent the paperwork to CAA already: do I need the the verification at all in this case if the FAA is going to issue a new certificate anyway when I get my CPL?

Ellemeet
17th Apr 2013, 04:58
@tune

An FAA cpl is a course which is basically advanced aircraft handling. They do this by doing certain exercises I believe they do not do in EASA land like lazy eights, chandelles, eights on pylons, steep turns at over 50 degrees, spiral descent and engine out landings on the marker.

You can do the training in roughly 4 whole days of flying and a chrckride on day 5.

The written is one exam. Study for this should be very quick, epecially if you have already done your FAA IR. 2 days groundschool and a few days of test exams should nail it. There are very good ipad apps and for books I recommend the ASA testprepbook.

Back to your question. It depends on where and when you want to do this. You could probably do the whole process in a week or two. However as this will be your first full faa license, you would need to do tsa fingerprinting and a special visa (the latter if you do it in the US).

Untill you have done the new 61.75 or the faa cpl, you are not a licensed FAA pilot anymore. So if you want to fly a n-reg other than in the country where your easa license was issued you have to do one or the other.

Normally, you are allowed to fly an n-reg in the uk solely on your UK license. For the UK caa would qualify you as licensed and the FAA ditto. Only if you go international you require a FAA license.

BackPacker
17th Apr 2013, 11:18
do I need the the verification at all in this case if the FAA is going to issue a new certificate anyway when I get my CPL?

Good point. Since a piggyback FAA PPL is dependent on the authenticity and validity of a foreign license, the FAA needs to verify it with the foreign authority. That requires some paperwork exchange with the CAA since they're normally not allowed to release these details to a foreign country. (Data protection act, privacy issues and such.)

The entry requirements for a CPL include an ICAO PPL. I don't think that PPL has to be current in all respects - I think parts of it may be out of date. But I can imagine the FAA would still want to validate the authenticity. So if it's a UK issued PPL, they might still need to contact the UK CAA to make sure it's not a forgery or something.

On the other hand, is it the FAA itself who verifies the entry requirements for the CPL course/exam, or is it the examiner who needs to verify the entry requirements? In the latter case, the FAA examiner might just take a quick glance at your UK PPL and your logbook, and be satisfied you met the entry requirements.

So I don't know whether the CAA validation process is a requirement in this case. Since you're in contact with an FSDO already, I'd ask them about this.