PDA

View Full Version : GA airport near Munich

nouseforaname
14th Apr 2013, 11:41
Planning a trip down here, does anyone have any experience of GA friendly airfield nearby? Would like to avoid flying into Munich Int. if possible! $$$$
(East side preferable) can't seem to dig much out searching the web.

andre1990
14th Apr 2013, 11:44
Would love to know more details about your trip in general :ok:

Denti
14th Apr 2013, 12:19
Off the top of my head i remember Ampfing-Waldraiburg and Landshut. Both places are somewhere around 70km east of munich city, however both are quite friendly and at least Landshut has a very active flying school and should be open most of the time. In germany airfields can be closed and it is not allowed to use them then.

bookworm
14th Apr 2013, 12:22
You don't offer any criteria on field length or IFR/VFR. If you want IFR then Augsburg works pretty well for Munich itself, or Eggenfelden if you're going to SE Bavaria.

hvogt
14th Apr 2013, 12:24
I wonder if Jesenwang (http://www.flugplatz-jesenwang.de/)might be something for you. I've read the name in general aviation magazines once or twice but can't tell you anything firsthand.

Jonzarno
14th Apr 2013, 12:40
Ingolstadt (ETSI) is also a good IFR alternative with ILS and GPS approaches. They do have Avgas.

Piper19
14th Apr 2013, 23:41
We used Ampfing (grass) as overnight stay, and used Muhldorf (concrete) for refuel. It's 5 minutes flight from each other.

kestrel539
15th Apr 2013, 08:11
Erding (ETSE), but your nav needs to be spot on.

EDMJ
15th Apr 2013, 09:56
Munich essentially doesn't have any GA field anymore, which is find you can't find anything.

Most conveniently located with respect further transport to Munich city is Oberschleissheim (Take-off - schleissheim-airfields Webseite! (http://www.ednx.de)). It is however PPR with a limit on the number of non-based aircraft accepted.

Nice and accommodating as they are, none of the other airfields mentioned above are in Munich. Landshut, Augsburg and Ingolstadt (in that order) offer the best public transport possibilities to Munich. I fly from Jesenwang and it's a great place, but the 400 m runway is not to everybody's liking and further public transport to Munich is a bugger.

Before you enquire: Oberpfaffenhofen (EDMO) will only accept you if you're arriving in something like a TBM and upwards, and Dachau-Gröbenried (EDMD) not all, regardless of what you're flying.

lederhosen
15th Apr 2013, 12:13
Munich West as Ryanair calls it, Memmingen (EDJA) is 50 NM from Munich. But it is GA friendly, has a regular bus service into Munich and if you get stuck you can get a reasonably cheap flight home. Otherwise Landshut or Augsburg are good options.

ITSAB
15th Apr 2013, 13:27
I would also recommend Augsburg (EDMA) good facilities (Avgas etc.), the runway is good and long and they speak english on the tower.
Landshut (EDML) is certainly a good option, whereby I am not so sure how good their english will be on the radio. Just need to watch the approach to EDML with it being rather close the the MUC CTR.
Memmingen is a bit further away, but again as stated there is a regular bus service into Munich (Allgäu Airport Express) and they speak english on the tower.

Wherever you decide to land, have a good trip.

ITSAB