PDA

View Full Version : What makes a "good pilot"?

FlyingForFun
26th Apr 2002, 08:31
Well, the brief spell of high pressure and good weather seems to have passed us - the skies are overcast, and it's raining hard (here in London, anyway). Doesn't look like there'll be too much flying this weekend, with rain forecast to continue across most of the country for the foreseeable future.

So, since everyone's sat at home, I thought I'd give you a chance to discuss flying, even if we can't actually go and do it!

For those of you who don't know, my other interest, aside from aviation, is classic cars - Triumphs, particularly. I subscribe to an e-mail list where participants can discuss Triumphs, in the same was as we discuss flying here on PPRuNe.

I was flicking through my log-book recently, when I came across a flight I made a couple of months ago. I took a friend of mine, another subscriber to my Triumph e-mail list, as a passenger. It wasn't his first flight - he has another friend who has a PPL, and has been a passenger in a light plane a couple of times before - but his knowledge of aviation largely consists of boarding airliners at large airports to go and visit family and friends, and this was his first flight with me.

My friend had a great time, and, shortly aferwards, posted to the Triumph e-mail list to say how much he'd enjoyed himself while flying with me. He described me as an "excellent pilot."

This was interesting. Although it had, overall, been a reasonably good flight, my performance certainly wasn't "excellent". During the climb out, I had my head in the cockpit too much (trying to ensure I didn't bust any controlled airspace). I managed to become "temporarilly uncertain of my position" by mis-identifying a lake. And I failed recognise a couple of major streets while trying to find my friend's house as we flew overhead.

So, here are the questions:

[list=1]
What makes a good pilot, from a pilot's point of view?
What makes a good pilot, from a passenger's point of view?
[/list=1]

There is clearly a difference between the two, as shown by my example...

I'd like to start the ball rolling by suggesting that being regarded as a good pilot by your passengers is an essential part of being a good pilot - although I don't think it's the most important thing.

Any views from anyone else???

FFF
-----------

You want it when?
26th Apr 2002, 09:14
Have to chip in here...

As a passenger in a light single - then having a pilot who makes it fun, one who enjoys the flight. As opposed to one who spends the whole time looking nervous and focused on the job in hand. Of course that is how all pilots are (focused I mean) but if the pilot exudes confidence, and appears relaxed then it's better.

As a pilot - well I did't go far enough to realy comment but I'd say one who believes in their ability and always has fall back positions. Right down to the "sod it - we just don't go one" - its a pleasure / hobby thing remember not a a mission. :p

Who has control?
26th Apr 2002, 09:16
FFF,
Well obviously the first criteria has to be someone who has enjoyed Triumphs. I owned a Herald & a Vitesse - so I must qualify!

But seriously... if my passengers can fall asleep, (in a car too), then they must be relaxed, so I must be doing OK.

FNG
26th Apr 2002, 09:32
Having driven a Triumph Vitesse Mk II into a ditch at 80 mph I may be better at flying than at driving (car amazingly survived with busted radiator and bent wing mirror).

I suppose that the principal attribute of a good pilot is judgment. For me one of the most interesting things about flying is the decision making, and the interaction of tactile skills with mental processes. That, and getting to wear a really big watch.

Gog
26th Apr 2002, 09:41
From the pilots point of veiw, Fat Dog gets it in one.

From the pax point of veiw, got a bit lost ? broke airspace ? ....oh well.

Grease it on and your a good pilot.....:p :p

foxmoth
26th Apr 2002, 10:49
There is a saying that goes something like:
"The superior pilot is the one who uses his superior judgement to avoid getting into the situation where he may NEED his superior skills"
Says it pretty well from the pilots side anyway IMHO.

Flying Chicken
26th Apr 2002, 13:18
As a fairly new PPL, it scares the sh** out of me that someone will quite happily get into a plane and put the same total faith in me (to have everything totally under control at all times) as I put in my instructor.

I think a good pilot is therefore something like a duck - calm and unruffled on the surface, but paddling like hell underneath!:mad:

pistongone
26th Apr 2002, 14:25
From the pax point of view,surely it means not getting into any situations where you are endangering the flight! Plus keeping it nice and smooth,unless they really want to try some steep turns etc!
From the pilot side it must be safety,safety,safety,and some fun!!

bertiethebadger
26th Apr 2002, 18:21
I'd agree with most of the above, including owning a Triumph ( '75 Stag ). :cool:

If your passengers are willing to fly again, that's one of the two dealt with. But do you brief them on safety procedures etc :confused:

As for the pilot part, it's hard to be 100% acurate. As long as you know your limits & that you are slightly off, your a good pilot.

Unless you cut infront of me in the circuit! :mad:

BtB

tomahawk1673
26th Apr 2002, 23:26
So what's a good PAX brief then? Do you keep it formal or informal??

Whirlybird
27th Apr 2002, 00:37
EVERYTHING comes down to good judgement. Are you fit to fly? Is the wx good enough? Flight planning, decision making en route. Making the briefing appropriate for the passengers - do they just want to look at the scenery, or are they interested in how the aircraft flies? Are they scared or not? Knowing your own capabilities and limitations in terms of flying ability, and also whether you can cope with one or several passengers; a high hours instructor recently said to me that three passengers in a helicopter is like having three little kids; so assume they know nothing and won't be able to follow simple instructions.

Oh, and of course knowing where to stop for lunch is definitely a part of it. :D

Final 3 Greens
27th Apr 2002, 07:05
Being aware of one's limits and staying well inside the envelope.

Knowing a few airline pilots and listening to their experience of flying, it's clear that the airlines value discipline (ie follow procedures everytime), accuracy (why fly at 100 feet below altitude when you can fly bang on), awareness (are we on profile, where do we need to be in 5 mins etc, what configuration do we need/will we need ), safety (see disipline) and teamwork (CRM.) Handling skills to a certain level are clearly a pre-requisite!

Gog
27th Apr 2002, 09:43
tomahawk1673,

Keep the pax brief formal and if possible word perfect from your notes.

Indeed, be relatively formal from the moment you begin to lead them out to "your " aircraft.:cool:

Evo7
27th Apr 2002, 10:08
tomahawk1673

Somebody posted an excellent passenger briefing here a while ago. I meant to bookmark it but ... :rolleyes: However, a bit of searching should uncover it :)

Tinstaafl
27th Apr 2002, 12:38
Your passenger brief is required to cover the following areas:

Seatbelts
Exits
Smoking
Emergency equipment
Use of personal equipment eg. mobile phones
Control seat pax not to interfer with the controls

Some guidelines to consider when giving your brief:

Avoid using jargon (eg. how could a pax. be expected to know what an 'aileron' is?)

Avoid 'padding out' the brief or the important information will be lost amongst the 'waffle'.

Give the brief prior to any start procedure (in case of fire). A good time is after the passengers board, you have completed supervising fastening seatbelts & doors and the hand luggage is stowed.

Avoid using terms that will make passengers more nervous than they may already be.

Give information that applies to ALL passengers first, then information that is passenger specific (otherwise the uninvolved passengers may not be listening when you give the rest of the information they require).

An example (for the PA28). Items in italics are things for you to do (not say).

------------
"For your own safety aviation regulations require you to:

* Fasten your seatbelt during take-off and landing or as I direct. The seatbelt is released by lifting the faceplate on the buckle. Show this

* The Normal exit in this aircraft is the door through which you entered the cabin. It is opened by moving this handle FORWARD and then moving this handle UP. Indicate appropriate handles when mentioning them

* Smoking is not permitted during take-off or landing or as I direct.

* An extinguisher is located in front of my seat.

* The overwater part of our flight requires lifejackets to be carried. They are located (place) indicate place. If necessary, the lifejacket is donned by …xxxx…(describe how). Don’t inflate the lifejacket until you have exited the aircraft.

* Mobile phones are not permitted to be used while airborne"

Now turn to the control seat passenger...

* "Ensure you remain clear of the pedals on the floor, the controls and the instruments in front of you and between us."

28thJuly2001
28th Apr 2002, 15:14
Most of my passengers comment on how good/bad the landing was. You can have a perfect flight but if you mess up the landing that is what the passenger remembers.
As for a good pilot I would say it is knowing when not to go. As YWIW said, it is supposed to be fun not a mission.
Walt,,

laurie
28th Apr 2002, 16:04
I think it was Luke Skytoddler who put a good sample pax briefing - try a search under his member number.

Regards,

Laurie