PDA

View Full Version : XP Control Panel problem

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
11th Apr 2013, 18:52
Add/Remove progs list does not populate. The "torch" turns back and forth but no list appears. Furthermore, after a few minutes the PC locks solid - mouse remains stationary and Ctrl+Alt+Del does not work. I have to switch the PC off and restart. I've tried lots of forums for answers but none works. Have tried a System Restore and SFC /Scannow to no avail.

I had this problem sometime ago and solved it quickly but my brain can't recall how I did it.

Any clues please?

Thanks.

green granite
11th Apr 2013, 19:50
From Microsoft

Try Start>Run>regsvr32 appwiz.cpl [enter] if no good then:

one of the most common causes for Add/Remove Programs being blank is that a recent install/uninstall routine may have wiped out the contents of the entire "Uninstall" registry key here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion \Uninstall

Each sub-key stores the Display Name, UninstallString information for a program that you installed. Open Regedit.exe and navigate to the above key. Check if the "Uninstall" key is empty (contains no sub-keys). In that case, your best best is to rollback the system state using System Restore.

I know you've tried restore but it would perhaps help to pin point the problem

Milo Minderbinder
11th Apr 2013, 20:10
try this fixit

Add/Remove Programs tool displays installed programs incorrectly (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/266668)

BOAC
12th Apr 2013, 08:41
HD - my 'add/remove' in XP has been very slow to load for ages - same 'symptoms' - torch - so slow I often think the machine is locked up. It may be you are not giving it enough time? Don't know why, but try making a cup of coffee next time and see if it is still 'locked'. There is always 'Revo' too.

Win7 on the other hand............................no time for coffee:)

Guest 112233
12th Apr 2013, 09:33
HD. I have had the same problem of slow loading for the last 5 months or so but without totally loosing any win XP components.

I'm beginning to wonder if you simply have a potential Hard Disk or RAM problem with the PC. If you do not already have a copy of memtest86 its worth downloading the iso file and burning it to a CD or Memory USB stick.

My Dell (Vostro) is five years old and still has its original HD - Its an obvious one but have you tried defragging the drive. I'm sure someone can suggest an appropriate disc checking utility for your PC

Best bet to copy all of your vital data to a second hard drive or memory stick. Have you tried Milo's link and how did it go ?

CAT III

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
12th Apr 2013, 11:25
Thanks friends. No joy so far but still trying..

PS.. Regarding leaving it for a while to populate. I left it for over an hour and, as usual, the PC ended up locked solid.

Milo Minderbinder
12th Apr 2013, 20:39
What happened when you ran the Microsoft fixit tool I linked to above?
Its specifically for this problem

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
13th Apr 2013, 11:51
Milo. Thanks but the answer is that it made no difference; problem still exists and I'm fast running out of ideas.

Milo Minderbinder
13th Apr 2013, 11:59
if that didn't fix it then its going to be hard. M$ recommend a repair installation!
Instead, as a workround I suggest you install CCleaner
One of the tools in there is a program add/remove utility which is actually quicker to load and run than Microsoft's program

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download (http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner)

That will easily do all you need

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
13th Apr 2013, 15:43
Milo.. Yes thanks, I have CC. It's just that I cannot stand toi have things not working properly. Today I did a system restore to some months ago when I know that Add/ Remove was working but it still does not work. Anyway, thanks for your help.

BOAC
14th Apr 2013, 08:41
'xp add remove not loading' brings up a host of 'solutions' if you have an idle Sunday. Tom's Hardware says it could be a Java issue.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
14th Apr 2013, 14:00
Thanks again everyone. Problem appears to be solved although I am not 100% how or why. Yesterday I ran a system restore from many months ago. It took an extraordinary amount of time (like an hour) but when the PC eventually restarted it went through a sort of chkdsk routine on my second HD, which I never use. It locked after about 10 sectors and I rebooted. Same again. Soo.. today I cleaned that second drive thoroughly and now Add/Remove progs works fine. I can only assume that it was interrogating the second drive (F:) for some reason.