PDA

View Full Version : CAA/JAR definitions

Squawk7777
26th Apr 2002, 03:48
Hello!

I am trying to find out the exact definitions of PIC, PIC/US, SIC or Co-Pilot. Does anybody some reference web sites?

Cheers!

SKYYACHT
26th Apr 2002, 04:55
Try visiting the caa website, and download the following

General Information Document No.44 Version 1 17/10/01
"Recording of flight time"

This will give you a complete breakdown (Not mentally) of time logging and definitions of what consititutes PIC, PICUS etc.

Cheers

FlyingForFun
26th Apr 2002, 11:09
Hi,

Take a look at this thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=50151) in the Private Flying forum. It's not as clear-cut as we'd like it to be. (The thread also contains a direct link to GID44 which SkyYacht refers to.)

FFF
-----------

SKYYACHT
27th Apr 2002, 16:43
FFF, I just took a look at the link that you thoughtfully provided. It seems that there is a lot of confusion about this. It seems a pity that we cant adopt the FAA style system, whereby, if you are the "Sole Manipulator of the Controls" then you are P1. This means that if you rent an aeroplane, and the instructor does not have to intervene in any way., ie, he is there to pull it together if it goes pear shaped, (for example in a pre renting check flight) then you can claim the entire flight as P1, because you are a certificated FAA approved pilot. If he intervenes and controls the aircraft to demonstrate, or if you become IMC, then the time that he manipulates the controls, or is supervising/instructing, is logged as P/UT or P2. This seems an eminently sensible system, and apparently works very well. Just background stuff really. I must now go and get on with mowing the kittens.

Tailwinds.