PDA

View Full Version : Runway incursion on parallel runways

anotheruser
9th Apr 2013, 12:45
I'm wondering, in what cases is a runway incursion more likely to happen? If an aircraft crosses another runway while taxiing out for departure, or if an aircraft crosses another runway while taxiing in just after landing (for clarification, I mean another runway than the one it is departing from or has landed on)?

I mean this especially in regard of airports with two parallel runways in close distance with no parallel taxiway between the runways, such as for example EDDL or EDDT. On these airports, if one runway is used for landings and the other one is used for take offs, the planes need to cross the other runway either while taxiing out or while taxiing in. I'm wondering, from the point of reducing the risk of runway incursion, would it be better to use the "outer" or the "inner" (as seen from the terminal building) runway for take offs?

rayfill
10th Apr 2013, 14:37
I would say it is more likely to happen after the aircraft has landed. It could've been a long flight, or the 3rd or 4th sector that day. Tired pilots, but more important is the mind.. you've landed, so "you're there". So you might not pay as much attention as you should.

Just my point of view though.

Cheers,-

hvogt
10th Apr 2013, 18:59
Sorry I can't help with references. Have you checked SKYbrary Aviation Safety (http://www.skybrary.aero)? They'd be my preferred starting point for research.

If I had to guess, I'd say runway incursions are more likely to happen during taxi-out crossings. Like rayfill, I first thought fatigue would be a major contributing factor, so taxi-in crossings seemed more critical, but then again the workload in the taxi-out phase is higher due to briefings, cabin announcements, co-ordination with ATC etc., which suggests taxi-out crossings. As I say, I'm guessing.

Piltdown Man
10th Apr 2013, 19:59
If you are stupid enough to design your airport so that you have to cross one runway to get to another, you will get runway incursions. There is absolutely nothing you can do to stop them. However, with proper design, well thought out procedures, technical safeguarding, etc. and so on. they can be minimised or their effect mitigated against - but NEVER prevented.

PM