PDA

View Full Version : Glider Pilots Stay Up Longer!

mary meagher
7th Apr 2013, 16:08
We sure did, on Saturday! Astir 8, I saw on another thread you did pretty good, how long were you airborne? did you go cross country?

Couple of our pilots went swanning round the scenery, down to Nympsfield, near Stroud, up to Hus Bos (almost), and didn't come back for four hours or more. I managed to get my butt in the back seat of the club K13, got a winch launch to 1300 feet which is not bad, and found a thermal over Shenington village, worked it to 2,000', found another, then as I had promised to return the glider to the CFI who was giving club members their General Flying Review, managed to throw away some height with a couple of spins, and so to landing.

Lucy, our 19 year old star, stayed up in the K8 two hours, she said the first hour was fun, but the second hour her feet were FREEZING! The two hour flight is a qualification for cross country flying.

Just for the record, my longest flight in a glider was in a competition, 511 killometers, took me 8 hours and 53 minutes to get round the task! Not very fast, but I got round!

Glider pilots stay up longer. Fact.

jxk
7th Apr 2013, 17:22
Glider Pilots Stay Up Longer!But is it so satisfying?:ooh:

cumulusrider
7th Apr 2013, 18:31
John Gilbert flew a 400km task in just over 6hrs yesterday in a slingsby skylark 3. It most be over 50yrs old and is wood and fabric. Dave mason flew 680km in 7hrs 30. Much more fun than boring holes in the sky in a SEP.

longer ron
7th Apr 2013, 18:33
Well the good thing is that (as yet) - they haven't taxed thermals so if you are flying your own glider then 'the staying up loger' is not actually costing anything :)
Of course if it is a good day then you will be sightseeing around the country :)

BabyBear
7th Apr 2013, 21:11
But is it so satisfying?http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/icon25.gif

Truth is it is exponentially more satisfying!

Though it is an error to compare the two.

BB

Mariner9
7th Apr 2013, 21:56
Dont think I had heard a boast about how long you were allowed to stay up for since I was in primary school ;)

Pace
8th Apr 2013, 00:30
If the medium you are flying in is stable, flat and boring you will not stay up very long!
If its got a lot of potential energy to play with and exciting too boot you may stay up for hours.
Moral!!! if you want to stay up for a long time make sure the medium you are working is unstable, exciting and full of potential energy :E:E

Pace

RatherBeFlying
8th Apr 2013, 03:21
A good day is when you stay up longer than it takes to drive to and from your glider field from a major urban centre.

A great day is when your glider distance exceeds your driving distance:ok:

ChrisJ800
8th Apr 2013, 03:57
of course long flights brings up the question of how to relieve oneself. Some gliders have pee tubes or you can always use a water bottle. Once though, I got caught out on a 300km attempt and had to take one glove off and use that, then chuck it out the CV panel! But how do the ladies manage?

Pontius
8th Apr 2013, 07:28
They've got smaller hands, so they have to use both gloves.

Rocket2
8th Apr 2013, 09:41
Chris
Freezer bags from Sainsbugs work for me so long as its not too cold :O

Piper.Classique
8th Apr 2013, 11:57
Adult incontinence pads. The hard part is actually letting go, and then it's not very comfortable sitting soggy for the rest of the flight.

ChrisJ800
8th Apr 2013, 13:31
Wish there was a record for the shortest x country. My first silver c attempt from dunstable ended when I tried slope soaring ivinghoe beacon and landed in a field near its base less than 4km from launch point. Any worse offers? Hat off to the 400 k in a skylark 3. Must have been a great day.

OpenCirrus619
8th Apr 2013, 13:41
A great day is when your glider distance exceeds your driving distance

Not always.....

When I did my first 5 hour flight (for Silver 'C') the logger (connected to GPS) reckoned I'd covered over 300km:ok: - all within 3km of the airfield:sad:.

OC619

ChrisA87
8th Apr 2013, 14:24
At least your logger worked.

<Not speaking as someone who achieved Silver Height yesterday but failed to check the logger was working before launching, not me...nope...>

thing
8th Apr 2013, 22:38
John Gilbert flew a 400km task in just over 6hrs yesterday in a slingsby skylark 3. It most be over 50yrs old and is wood and fabric. Dave mason flew 680km in 7hrs 30. Much more fun than boring holes in the sky in a SEP.

Why is boring holes in the sky in a glider more fun than boring holes in the sky in a SEP?

BackPacker
8th Apr 2013, 22:50
I always compare gliding to sailing, and SEP flying to motorboating.

When sailing you are extremely busy the whole day. Keeping track of the wind and other weather phenomena, and how best to use this to get to the next turning point fastest. Where are the trees, what areas to avoid, where to tack, and so forth. But at the end of the day you dock the boat at exactly the same dock where you left in the morning.

In contrast, motor boating is a reasonable reliable way of getting from A to B with a minimum amount of fuss. It's also pretty boring. As long as the engine works you point the bow in the right direction and that's it. It only becomes "interesting" when the engine fails. Because then you need to do something with the anchor, quickly.

Gliding is like sailing. You are very busy throughout the day, keeping track of wind, sunshine, thermals, finding areas of possible lift, keeping track of airspeed, altitude, airspace and whatnot, and how best to use all this to get to the next turning point fastest. But at the end of the day the glider usually ends up in the same hangar it left in the morning.

In contrast, motor flying is a reasonable reliable way of getting from A to B with the minimum amount of fuss. It's also pretty boring. As long as the engine works you point the nose in the right direction, do a bit of wind compensation and that's it. It only becomes interesting when the engine fails.

ChrisJ800
8th Apr 2013, 22:53
Because gliding requires additional skills experience and luck. A bit like sailing rather than just driving a powerboat. I do all these and sailing and gliding are way more fun.

thing
8th Apr 2013, 23:16
Sorry, being a bit naughty...;)

I started gliding a quarter century ago and am fairly well aware of the skills involved...

But, I also fly SEPs and there are a different set of skills involved and an SEP does different things and is used for a different purpose, so saying 'Yah boo, you can't fly for a squillion hours in an SEP using no fuel like you can in a glider' is akin to saying that a saucepan doesn't vacuum as good as a Dyson. Well yep, we know that.

fisbangwollop
9th Apr 2013, 05:39
Ah this takes me back many years to when I did my Silver "C" duration flight. Over 5 hours in a Swallow flying in very bumpy hill lift and heavy rain and snow showers on the hill ridges around Feshiebridge in the Cairngorms.....I came back feeling like a frozen snotter but such an exhilerating flight! :cool:

Mariner9
9th Apr 2013, 07:56
What about motor glider pilots then?

Based upon the comments on this thread, it suggests TMG pilots will be bored and low skilled with the engine on, then suddenly become exhilarated sky-gods once they switch the engine off. Schizophrenics clearly :E :ok:

thing
9th Apr 2013, 09:54
It's that wonderful thing called 'tribalism' Mariner.....:)

foxmoth
9th Apr 2013, 11:40
In contrast, motor flying is a reasonable reliable way of getting from A to B with the minimum amount of fuss. It's also pretty boring. As long as the engine works you point the nose in the right direction, do a bit of wind compensation and that's it. It only becomes interesting when the engine fails.

Come and fly with us High Adrenaline, Hands-on Flying Experiences at Goodwood, with ex-military instructor pilots | Ultimate High (http://www.ultimatehigh.co.uk/producthome/Flight_Experience)

THEN tell me it is only interesting when the engine fails!!:ok:

BackPacker
9th Apr 2013, 11:59
Foxmouth, I fly aerobatics, although in a slightly less capable plane than what UH has on offer. But I honestly could not come up with a good comparison of anything against powered aerobatics.

Rocket2
9th Apr 2013, 12:14
'Yah boo, you can't fly for a squillion hours in an SEP using no fuel like you can in a glider'

Of course what gets conveniantly ignored is that (for those of us that fly throughout the winter months) for every good flight in a glider (& I have had many) a lot end in a short or slightly extended circuit & the tug that towed you, or the winch that threw you, skywards used quite a lot of fuel or LPG.
R2

foxmoth
9th Apr 2013, 12:40
At the end of it all there are good things about pretty much ALL types of flying, I have tried many, loved every trip and nobody should be going " my type of flying is better than yours" everyone is different, some will love sitting in a glider turning circles for hours on end, others will hate it, the same can be said for Aeros and almost any form of Aviation, lets all just enjoy what we can!:ok:

chrisN
9th Apr 2013, 12:46
Agreed! Chris N

Arclite01
9th Apr 2013, 13:23
For me it's always been motorgliders.

I love being able to soar with the engine off, enjoy being able to investigate areas where the soaring conditions look interesting (but normally are out of gliding range) and I certainly enjoy not sitting in the launch queue..............

I fly an SF-28A Tandem Falke. Not sparkling performance (28:1 with the prop fully feathered) but up there with the K13 which is perfectly adequate for the type of local soaring I like to do. Fuel burn is around 2.5 galls per hour - she'll cruise under power at 85Kts (variable pitch prop)............ and as a two seater, nice and sociable.............. On good days I range from North Norfolk down to Essex and across to Bedford and back again.

Bad Days become average days, Average days become good days and good days become stonking days........ :}

What not to like...........

Arc

mary meagher
9th Apr 2013, 20:33
Flying is for fun. Flying is for transport. Going somewhere in a small aircraft is certainly fun and a challenge, as long as you respect the dangers and know when to say no.

Aerobatics in a glider or a power plane are definitely fun for the one doing the performing, often less so for the suffering passenger....

Gliding has a couple of extra dimensions, however. Most of us belong to clubs, help out, make friends, better than church any day. There is a social side to gliding clubs that is often missing in power flying, where you rent a plane, pay for a lesson, do your flight and thats it. Good for busy people, yes.

Gliding is more of a challenge because if you get it wrong you visit a farmer.
And your gliding buddies come and get you with the trailer and you all stop off at a pub on the way back. If you manage a decent cross country on a challenging day that is an endless satisfaction and an achievement. Interpreting the weather, reading the clouds, using the thermals, doing some earnest praying when getting low, etc. You can buy a turbo glider/motor glider and skip some of this, which older pilots often do, but I still think that is missing the true element of adventure.

All of which reminds me of a gliding competition from Hus Bos where all the top pilots followed a big cloud street that overdeveloped, spread out, and about 30 gliders landed in two fields at the first turning point. I had been unable to connect on my first launch, had to relaunch, and by the time I got to the first turning point, there I was at 3,000' and the rest of the gliders were down on the ground. True joy and satisfaction!

And truly memorable the look on the Competition Director's face when the chief of Constabulary at Atherstone rang that evening. " The next time", he told the director, "that you intend to have 30 gliders landing in my district, we will require 24 hours notice in advance!"

lederhosen
10th Apr 2013, 06:59
I remember Mary coming to retrieve me some time last century. I am sure I am not alone. It was a long time ago, but thanks again.

Gliding taught me a lot and not just about flying. At an age Mary was when I first met her I look forward to doing a lot more of it.

aviate1138
11th Apr 2013, 10:47
In 1967 in our 3 novice Syndicate ex Polish AirForce Association Oly 2B I managed 6 hours, most of it with a numb bum. Clouds of butterflies [Red Admirals?] and Lasham was never out of sight although quite distant as I got bolder......

The craic that followed was mighty. The hangover was even mightier. Slivovitz never touched my lips again......

lederhosen
11th Apr 2013, 12:35
I had an exciting moment in the RAFGSA Oly2B on one of my early solo flights about a decade later. Brakes out and stick seemingly full forward I was still being sucked into cloud under a rather active squall line. After what seemed an eternity but was probably only a few seconds I extricated myself and hung around until the weather cleared. I remember judging the flare was a little tricky as Bicester was completely white with hail stones! With hindsight there were a number of things I would have done differently. But as they say I learned about flying from things like that!

cats_five
12th Apr 2013, 12:43
THEN tell me it is only interesting when the engine fails!!http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

Don't confuse interesting with terrifying! :eek:

India Four Two
17th Apr 2013, 18:23
Don't confuse interesting with terrifying! http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/eek.gif

Years ago, at a glider camp in Alberta, I took a very experienced crop-duster pilot for a flight in a Motorfalke. He admitted to me that he was going to find it very difficult to turn the engine off once we reached 2000' AGL, since as he said "In my business, when the engine stops, you're probably going to die!"

foxmoth
17th Apr 2013, 22:31
Quote:
THEN tell me it is only interesting when the engine fails!!
Don't confuse interesting with terrifying!

It is as terrifying as you want it to be - i COULD probably terrify most pilots, but that is NOT my intention and will always aim to stay within the comfort level (Though I might push the boundaries a little) of my student:cool:

mary meagher
18th Apr 2013, 06:51
It's when your student pushes YOUR comfort boundaries that your sang froid is truly tested.....

davydine
26th Apr 2013, 06:28
There have been some impressive glider flights so far this year but one that must be worthy of a mention was on 5th April from Tibenham in Norfolk to Redruth in Cornwall. 491km....

In an Oly 2b...!

astir 8
26th Apr 2013, 07:43
Who needs EASA? Annex II gliders rule, OK!:ok:

OpenCirrus619
26th Apr 2013, 10:30
Gliding is more of a challenge because if you get it wrong you visit a farmer.

Sadly no longer the case but, at a certain airfield Mary knows well, if you got it wrong away from the airfield you would get to visit a farmer who you (probably) had never met before.

If you got it wrong on the airfield you would have to give another farmer, who you knew well, a good "listening to".

OC619

mary meagher
26th Apr 2013, 21:03
Open Cirrus, surely we have met before? People reading your post may wonder about our Farmer Paul Gibbs, our Chief Flying Instructor, Landlord, and a wonderful man, sadly no longer alive. When he was buried in Shenington Churchyard, the club arranged a flypast of seven aircraft, including a glider on tow, that was timed for the precise moment when his body was lowered into the grave; our chairman was giving the signal by radio, and it was a very moving event indeed.

mary meagher
4th May 2013, 08:22
Couple of our Shenington pilots (one flies for BA) decided Tuesday, 30 April looked good for a cross country, so they planned to fly a 750 kilometer task; turning points declared as Carren Castle, north of Swansea, up to Sheffield, back to Senny Bridge, west of Brecon, and home.

They launched at 9.50, self launching in the Nimbus turbo, and turned off the engine, and only had to use it once more when they got too low on the last leg, having to use the iron thermal at Pershore to get home at 19.30.

Total distance covered as a glider, 710 kilometers. Total time flown, 9 hours and 35 minutes. And every step of the way challenging! cloud base was not all that high over the Welsh mountains! Spreadout over Sheffield.....

You can read all about it in flying reports on the Shenington website.

shortstripper
4th May 2013, 19:53
Went up to Tibenham today with the intention of flying their Grob 109 motorglider. The wind was too strong to safely taxi it, so I decided to go for a glider flight instead. I loved it! It was the first glider flight for five years or so and the first winch launch I'd done since around 1991! I love flying gliders, but soon remembered why I gave up flying them ... had my name on the flying list (I was the sixth on it) at 9.30 but didn't fly until 5pm! ... Sigh!

SS

Edited to add ... That said, I had two flights, one was 15mins (so a little soaring) and the other was a simulated cable break. The cost .... £12.50!

Ka-2b Pilot
10th May 2013, 20:05
I gave up doing proper cross-countries a while ago - the chances of doing a successful outlanding off-airfield here are virtually nil, as are the chances of finding and identifying from the air one of the small airstrips known only to local users but marked on all maps! The local airstrip here is still on the map and the control tower still stands but the runway is in the middle of an unfinished industrial estate! Then again, if you do land out somewhere, even if you have arranged a crew - mañana! So the only option is an expensive aerotow retrieve, after flying has finished, after sunset, so - mañana! That said, according to the GPS flying around a triangle/quadrangle etc. with turning points at max gliding range from the airfield can produce some good distances, frequently 2-300 kms, twice over 300 and once over 400! But over the last few years our airspace ceiling has become lower and now varies between 8,500' & 10,000' ( before you start the airfield is almost 4,000'). Since the highest ground here is also around 8,500' there is not a lot of room for manoeuvre but once you know and understand the mountains it can be a lot of fun.