PDA

View Full Version : B738 - Max Speed for Speedbrake Actuation?

skywalker001
7th Apr 2013, 10:14
Hello everyone,

According to the AFM for the B737-800, the maximum speed for speedbrake actuation is 300KIAS. It goes on to say that use of speedbrake at or above 320KIAS can result is "severe airframe vibration which in turn could cause extreme damage to the horizontal stabilizer".
Apparently Boeing issued a bulletin stating that speedbrake may in fact be used at any speed, provided it does not exceed Vmo.

Does anyone know anything about this, whether there is a bulletin to that effect and where I can find it?

Thanks in advance.

BOAC
7th Apr 2013, 10:25
http://www.pprune.org/tech-log/250159-737-ng-speedbrake-ias-limits.html if you do not have an operations manual!

skywalker001
7th Apr 2013, 13:50
Thanks. As far as I can see our ops manual makes no reference to it and I was interested to see what the manufacturer said. This answers my question though. I'll be sure to check for all 6 hinges just to make 100% sure :ok:

Much appreciated.

Matey
7th Apr 2013, 23:11
Aircraft fitted with winglets as part of their manufacture by Boeing have appropriate wing strengthening and no speedbrake limitation. Aircraft fitted with winglets as an "aftermarket" addition do not benefit from such strengthening and have a speedbrake limitation as a result.

RTO
8th Apr 2013, 19:28
As I recall the limitation applies for a/c without stiffened elevator tabs.