PDA

View Full Version : Emerald 748 STN accident

Arkroyal
25th Apr 2002, 13:51
I've been searching AAIB to find the report into the HS748 take off accident at STN a few years back. (Leeds Football team).

Is it out? Did Captain Hackett hack it?

sickBocks
25th Apr 2002, 14:09
http://www.aaib.detr.gov.uk/formal/gojem/index.htm

Bob Down
26th Apr 2002, 13:36
Arkroyal

The report makes interesting reading.

Personally, even though the 'procedure' was not followed to the letter, I believe the crew were proved 100% right.

Good on 'em.

knobbygb
26th Apr 2002, 14:13
The bit about the escape chute's makes interesting reading and worries me a little.

Did we really used to fly (still fly?) around in a/c where the chute had to be manually unpacked and then rigged by connecting colour coded bits together in the middle of an emergency situation? Who thought to put it under a trapdoor where all the pax would obviously be stood just prior to an evacuation? Were aircraft not required to be retrofitted with modern inflatable chutes just because they were certified prior to these being widely available? A recipie for disaster if you ask me (which of course you didn't).

I suppose it highlights just how far safety has moved on in the last 30 or 40 years and how much we take it for granted.

Well done to that crew - I'm sure not many would have handled the situation better under the circumstances.

Arkroyal
29th Apr 2002, 14:15
Thanks, Guys