PDA

View Full Version : UK ground school tuition

Kevin31
2nd Apr 2013, 21:42
Hey all

Did have a search but not found much. Looking for some ppl ground school on all but air law in UK please? I heard of Derek Davidson is there any others? See great circle to but look rather pricey.

Thanks

K

Morris542
3rd Apr 2013, 10:11
Ask your instructor. They should be able to do a 1 on 1 session.

BackPacker
3rd Apr 2013, 10:14
My thoughts exactly. Assuming you need groundschool (it's not mandatory - self study is perfectly fine as far as the law is concerned), I wonder why you're not doing it through the school where you are (presumably) taking flying lessons. Knowing that reason, we may be able to give you better advise.

Kevin31
3rd Apr 2013, 21:51
Hi

Thanks guys school I learn at doesn't offer ground school as such and my instructor did his exams like 15 years ago had him help me with air law but he didn't get half the questions right lol

So after proper course as heard the 7 exams are becoming 9 very soon? Anyone no of other classes please?

K

Heston
4th Apr 2013, 07:43
You need a different instructor and/or school, not just help with the exams. Sorry if that sounds harsh but taking what you say at face value then your instructor shouldn't be instructing. Its a requirement that a flying instructor is able to teach the ground subjects properly both in theory and in their practical application - if your instructor is that behind then you are not being taught well enough in the air either.

Whopity
4th Apr 2013, 16:08
Thanks guys school I learn at doesn't offer ground school Looks like they will be out of business when the EASA requirement for 100 hours theoretical training kicks in!

BillieBob
5th Apr 2013, 08:58
Assuming you need groundschool (it's not mandatory - self study is perfectly fine as far as the law is concerned)Not for much longer (or even now for ATOs in the UK). As Whopity points out, the EASA rules require at least 100 hours of theoretical knowledge instruction to be provided by the ATO. Some of that may be distance learning, and the competent authority might permit that to include self-study but, even if it does, on past evidence the UK CAA is likely to require at least 2/3 of the total time to be formal classroom work.

To avoid this entirely unjustified imposition of extra cost, my local club has decided to remain a registered facility for as long as it can (April 2015).

riverrock83
5th Apr 2013, 13:15
The EASA rules say that 9 subjects need covered but doesn't say how many exams those subjects are spread across. At the moment its the old 7 exams as per JAR (the exams haven't been updated yet so old course material is still fine).

At my club they advocate self study (they haven't taken the decision yet whether to become an ATO when the time runs out) but if you are struggling with a particular subject they were more than happy to spend extra time before a flying lesson to go over particular areas.

If your instructor is getting lots of the answers wrong, however, it suggests that he hasn't been keeping up with changes and he needs to do a refresher himself. In saying that - lots of the stuff in Air Law doesn't have any practical applications to most pilots. If you aren't using / engaging with something then over time you forget...

Mickey Kaye
5th Apr 2013, 17:05
"To avoid this entirely unjustified imposition of extra cost, my local club has decided to remain a registered facility for as long as it can (April 2015)."

But what are they going to do after that date?

Whopity
5th Apr 2013, 17:23
If your instructor is getting lots of the answers wrong, however, it suggests that he hasn't been keeping up with changes and he needs to do a refresher himself.or the questions have no relevance in the real World!

Heston
5th Apr 2013, 17:44
or the questions have no relevance in the real World!

Maybe so, but an instructor should be capable of saying "this is what you need to know to pass the exam, and these are the bits that are going to be useful in the real world".

Whopity
5th Apr 2013, 22:27
I am not suggesting you are wrong, but how many instructors ever see the question papers?

18greens
5th Apr 2013, 23:08
100 hrs face to face ground school at £20 per hour is £ 2,000.

Have EASA really thought this through , or do they think we will do this out of the goodness of our hearts. At a busy school each lesson gets a 10 minute brief followed by a 5 minute debrief.If the student didn't do the pre read then tough they may have wasted their money.. That adds up to 10 hours over a PPL. Where is the other 90 expected to come from if not self study?

Jonzarno
6th Apr 2013, 07:51
When did EASA ever think ANYTHING through properly? :ugh:

BillieBob
6th Apr 2013, 09:00
But what are they going to do after that date?They will, of course, become an ATO but, in the intervening 2 years, they will not be obliged to provide the pointless 100 hours theoretical knowledge instruction or to pass on the associated costs to the members as will those RFs that rush to become ATOs. At a busy school each lesson gets a 10 minute brief followed by a 5 minute debrief. Which is considered to be a part of the flight instruction and the CAA are unlikely to accept as counting towards the 100 hours total theoretical knowledge instruction.

Grob Queen
6th Apr 2013, 13:18
Kev,

As the others, your FI should know ALL or indeed 99% of the answers to your ground questions during study. If not, I wonder, as do the others here, whether ground knowledge 15 years out of date is a good way to teach!! True, some things don't change, but others do.

From personal experience, my FI is just on the end of a text/call/email whenever (and I do mean whenever) I need to ask a question. I am totally self study and have so far passed three exams that way, with 1 to 1 tutorials with my FI when needs be and the rest of the time many many texts!! I am currently studying aircraft tech and this thus far is the hardest one for me. my FI has so far given over a full morning and full evening tutorials to Aircraft Tech (totally free) and much extra time at the Club after flying. He passed his CPL many yonks ago, but still keeps uptodate.

So good luck, but find a new Instructor!!!:ok: