PDA

View Full Version : Flynqy

NorthSouth
27th Mar 2013, 23:13
Can anyone explain to me how the training organisation called Flynqy apparently has four aircraft and six employees operating out of Newquay, but Newquay is recorded by the CAA as having not a single aero club or private movement in the whole of 2012, or January 2013, and only 2 private movements in the whole of 2011?
NS

wb9999
27th Mar 2013, 23:50
From http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/20130116StandardsDocument30v33, Flynqy is a registered training facility.

Plymouth Flying School Limited t/a FLYNQY Pilot Training

Private Pilot Licence (Aeroplanes)
Newquay Cornwall Airport St Mawgan
Newquay
Cornwall
TR8 4RQ
01637 861744

Where are you getting the stats from? There are sufficient posts on another forum to suggest the numbers you quoted are incorrect, from people who have flown into NQY.

NorthSouth
28th Mar 2013, 09:38
Where are you getting the stats from?The official source, here (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=80&pagetype=88&pageid=3&sglid=3).
NS

wb9999
28th Mar 2013, 09:48
NorthSouth, which document on that page? I looked at those last night and couldn't see GA flights listed anywhere for any airport.

EDIT: Just found the exact page. I'm guessing the figures are not reported to the CAA accurately. I just checked the airport that I fly from, and their figures don't look too accurate either. And look at Humberside - zero aero club movements in January, despite having a handful of clubs.

S-Works
28th Mar 2013, 10:05
I flew into Newquay 3 times last year in a spam can, I was part of a group fly in on 2 of occasions, so that somewhat upsets your figures.......

Duckeggblue
28th Mar 2013, 11:10
Twice last year also- and great service from FLYNQY.

NorthSouth
28th Mar 2013, 12:58
Very interesting. This suggests that, for some reason, Newquay Airport finds it appropriate not to report any aircraft movements to the CAA other than commercial ones. I wonder how many other airports do this? If the CAA or anyone else uses these figures to gauge the activity levels of GA they're clearly ill-informed.
NS

Whopity
28th Mar 2013, 13:41
CAA validates this data, however, no warranty is given as to its accuracy, integrity or reliability. So therefore don't rely on it or quote it as fact!

NorthSouth
28th Mar 2013, 18:04
But everyone does, understandably. One wonders what "validate" means. You would imagine that someone in the CAA might phone up Newquay and say "did you REALLY have no movements other than commercial air transport in 2012?"
NS

piperboy84
28th Mar 2013, 18:20
You would imagine that someone in the CAA might phone up Newquay and say "did you REALLY have no movements other than commercial air transport in 2012?"

Why would anyone care, or even want to count how many times a spamcan or weightshift TO or lands?

NorthSouth
28th Mar 2013, 21:16
These days, almost solely so that they can be billed for it. But in the days when people thought regulation was a Good Thing, it was thought to be common sense for the regulatory authority to have a rough idea of how much there was of whatever it was they were supposed to regulate.:rolleyes:
NS

POBJOY
29th Mar 2013, 21:29
Newquay does not have a flying club (although the CAF are now based there with the abilty to join and have 'jet' flights)
Most Cornwall GA aircraft are based at Bodmin and Perranporth,but the whole club scene is quiet at present (weather & economy).
Lands End (St Just) gave up its club and GA base (and is closed on Sundays) so not much private stuff down there (Islanders and DHC6 'Skybus' only).
NQY scheduled movements will be recorded,and documented,and be 'available as stats,but although there will be a record of the civil and military aircraft there does not seem to be a system to 'give the numbers' but the spotters will know i expect.

NorthSouth
30th Mar 2013, 19:26
You can bet your life ATC records EVERY movement because movements are income. So the question is why the non-commercial stats don't reach the CAA.
NS

Duckeggblue
30th Mar 2013, 20:52
Newquay does not have a flying club
Did I imagine FLYNQY then?

POBJOY
31st Mar 2013, 17:04
D E B
Fly NQY=FTO not a club.
Club is run by members for members,and instructors can be 'unpaid',as will be many of the 'helpers'.
Both offer similar services,but the whole point of the 'club' system was/is to keep the cost down by utilising part 'volunteer' staffing.
Flying clubs did not have to have 'commercial' instructors as indeed most instructors were 'hours building' towards a commercial licence,and there were regulations with regard to payments.
Some airfields only allowed a certain number of 'clubs',so FT organisations started up to get around the restriction.This is all going to change under EASA with any training operation having to produce similar ops manuals and records,and any new instuctors will allready have a commercial licence.

S-Works
31st Mar 2013, 17:58
A club can be an FTO and an FTO a club. Leicester AeroClub which I am a MEMBER of is and has always been a members club owned and run by the members and it is also an active RTF and FTO as an example.

Whopity
1st Apr 2013, 14:00
So the question is why the non-commercial stats don't reach the CAA.Because there is no mandatory requirement to submit them. The CAA don't even know how many active PPL holders there are in the country so why should they be bothered about movements?