PDA

View Full Version : Please: Suggestions for weekend flying outside of UK?

Shrink9
26th Mar 2013, 12:06
I really have had enough of the weather here in the UK now. It's been 5 weeks since my last flight. I really want to get some flying in this Easter weekend. I was going to fly to Jerez and do some flying down there, but the forecast there for the weekend is not good either.

Does anyone have any suggestions of where I could get some hours in this weekend? I would be willing to travel as far as the middle east if it meant I could get in 2/3 days of straight flying in!! However, somewhere a little closer to home would be preferable. I have spent the last two hours on google, and all I could find was an aero club in Malta. But I would prefer not fly around an island and would rather get some cross country in.

All suggestions welcome!!

piperarcher
26th Mar 2013, 12:27
I agree the weather is looking as rubbish for this weekend, as it has been for as many as I can remember recently. Do you have an IMCr? Assuming the weather is within aircraft limits (e.g. crosswind), maybe its a good time to either embark on IMC lessons, or if you have it already, do some instrument approaches at a place you dont normally do them at with an instructor. That way you can do something interesting, but have a safety pilot with you if you need it. That said, escaping the UK weather right now is a highly desirable thought :-)

Pace
26th Mar 2013, 12:35
Shrink

Try Float plane flying in Italy ;)

Aero Club Como Web site > Home (http://www.aeroclubcomo.com/)

Or some ski /mountain flying in Meribel french alps

Bienvenue à l'Aéroclub de Méribel (http://www.ac-meribel.com/)

That should blow away the winter cobwebs

Pace

Shrink9
26th Mar 2013, 12:38
I have an IMC, but don't want to be flying in cloud in subzero temperatures without anti-icing. Forecast is 3 degrees at agl this weekend. Really looking to put some serious hours in somewhere.

geekyflyer
26th Mar 2013, 14:41
Shrink,
Was in Malta for a weekend at the start of this month and did some flying with Malta wings (with a very friendly instructor called Trevor). We only went around the islands once, which took less than an hour in a 152, but if you speak to them I'm sure you can arrange a trip to Sicilly, Pantelleria or Lampedusa. It's really pretty if you get the right weather!

Jonty
26th Mar 2013, 14:51
Florida is probably your best bet.

A and C
26th Mar 2013, 18:29
I would also recommend Falcon Aviation on Malta

logie101
27th Mar 2013, 13:02
Were do PPL students in Malta do their cross country training? Were do they do for the long solo qualifying cross country?

fabiensf
29th Aug 2014, 22:52
we fly to reggio calabria, lamezia and crotone in the boot of italy.