PDA

View Full Version : Av Law Exam Tonight

BravoOne
24th Apr 2002, 15:47
I am taking my aviation law tonight...any advice would be greatly appreciated.:)

tomcs
24th Apr 2002, 15:53
Well..stay calm and think clearly....it will all be over much quicker than u think. The first questions are the hardest because it refers to stuff not relevant to everday aviation and thus people tend not to learn it! Just know everything....including the obscure bits :) And go through the confuser.....some of the questions are exactly the same.

Good Luck

Tom

Evo7
26th Apr 2002, 09:31
So how did it go? :)

Nav for me after work today :eek: :)

BRL
26th Apr 2002, 09:45
Very best of luck to both of you. Please reply back here how you got on. Take it easy today at work EVO. :)

Don D Cake
26th Apr 2002, 10:32
I've got mine in two weeks so I would be very interested to hear how you got on.

I initially told my instructor that I wasn't going to do air law so he couldn't make me go solo :D He just looked at me and said "Right I've booked you in, you've got two weeks to revise".

Good luck.

Currymonster
26th Apr 2002, 14:11
Use the confuser as an "aid to Revision" but dont just rely on it.
I passed all exams first time using both.
Its true that questions are duplicated in exams from the confuser but be aware that I found the Met exam totally different (and Harder) questions than the Confuser.
FP and HP almost the same questions.
Nav very enjoyable but make sure you know the Radio Nav questions from the confuser as these are often overlooked...Good Luck

Evo7
26th Apr 2002, 16:39
:eek:

That was hard ... <smug> but I got 100% </smug> :D

Simon W
27th Apr 2002, 20:12
Evo7,

Got my Nav exam on Monday. Any pointers for me?

Thanks,

Simon

Evo7
28th Apr 2002, 07:28
Sure :)

The exam is in two parts - 20 questions about a route from A to B via C, with an alternate airfield to land at at the end (just like in the Confuser, although the route was different) and 5 questions about Radio Navigation (very easy).

For the flight planning bit, I guess about half of the questions were based on a flight plan you work out - 'What is the Magnetic Heading from B to C?' or 'What is your ETA at B?'. The rest are either factual ('what does the symbol at X mean') or 'what-if's' ('you are refused entry to Little Snoring CTA - you should ....'). The Confuser questions are very good preparation for this - if you can get most of them right then you'll be fine.

Assuming you're happy with the Whizz-wheel (if not, Fail! :( ), I guess my tips would be:

Work out the flight plan very slowly and carefully - so many questions are based on this that if you mess it up you'll be close to failing
Know the 1-in-60 rule.
Read the questions carefully! Magnetic or True? US gals or Imperial? That sort of thing. There are some tricks
Know what to do when encountering Class-D airspace and/or a MATZ. Remember that flying over Class-D is probably a bad idea, as there's a strong probability that it will take you into an Airway.
Know the chart symbols, and the various types of danger area, AIAA etc.
A couple of questions test your ability to read, not to navigate. The answer is in an extract from Pooley's or on the chart itself :)
Remember the basics about VORs, ADF/NDB and Primary & Secondary radar.

There's plenty of time though, so just take it slowly... :)

28thJuly2001
28th Apr 2002, 14:53
I must be mad because I actually ENJOYED the nav exam, Just double check the route planning before you answer any of the questions. Air Law was the exact opposite, I HATED it and just managed to scrape a pass. In the year since I have had my PPL not once have I needed to know how many metres a suspended red light is hung below the basket of a free flying ballon, and the Chicago convention crops up in daily conversation.(NOT)
Walt,,

(edited for terible speeling)

Simon W
28th Apr 2002, 20:54
I think I'm going to cancel my nav exam and get some proper tuition in. I just can't get to the stage where I'm perfectly happy using the whiz wheel. The penny just won't drop. I got the OAT's CRP-1 tutor cdrom but this hasn't helped atall. I always new that Nav was going to be the most difficult exam for me.

Simon

Evo7
29th Apr 2002, 06:54
Have you tried getting your instructor to demonstrate? That's what made it click with me - the books just confused things. Then just practice.... :)

The problem is that there isn't much margin for error in the questions, so if your calculated groundspeed and heading is out by a bit or your conversion from US gal to pounds is a bit dodgy then you're likely to get the answer wrong. :(

BravoOne
29th Apr 2002, 13:02
Sorry for not getting back sooner but I have been extremely busy lately.

Here's a run down if anyone is still interested:

The exam was 40 questions, in which you were given 60 minutes to complete (loads of time).

The confuser was eriley close to some of the questions, but beware all those Confuser ONLY learners as there were questions that aren't covered in the confuser.

Make sure you understand PPL Flight Crew Licensing, VFR, IFR, VMC, IMC and Rules of the Air as the majority of questions were based on these. The other questions were on Signals, Aerodrome Prodcedures etc.

Remember...Always RTFQ (Read the F***ing Question).

By the way I got 85%. A few tricky questions worded in a way that points to a similar but WRONG answer, my fault though.

Human Factors Next...

Good luck.
B1.