PDA

View Full Version : Actual distance - BFS to FAO

keeders
15th Mar 2013, 14:02
Dear All,

Just after a bit of help with a question I am trying to answer. Great circle distance from BFS to FAO is around 1062 nm. However, ATC routing is likely (especially for A/C equipped with VHF only) to mean significantly longer distance staying within range of continental landmass.

I have been trawling around trying to find a reasonable means of assessingthis probable distance without luck.

Does anyone either
a) know the distance, or
b) know of a tool to estimate these types of routings

Many thanks in advance.

FourTrails
15th Mar 2013, 16:19
will have that tomorrow for you.

eastern wiseguy
15th Mar 2013, 16:37
Great Circle Mapper (http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=bfs-fao)

That looks pretty much like I would expect the route to be...so I am guessing that the great circle route is not far off.

StainesFS
15th Mar 2013, 17:19
Shortest distance offered for this route tomorrow from Eurocontrol using a flight planning service is 1085 nautical miles. This does not include additional mileage due to SIDs/STARs.

As EW says, not far from the direct distance. Actually, only 2.3% greater.

FourTrails
16th Mar 2013, 16:38
The FMGC route today...

DCT LISBO DCT NUMPI UP620 NIMAT DCT DUB ORTOM DCT TULTA UP197 TURDO UT7 KORUL UN866 STG UP600 PINEK DCT MAGUM DCT ODEMI DCT ULALU

Aldergrove 25 departure, Faro 10 Arrival 1134nm
Faro 28 Arrival 1141nm

Capetonian
16th Mar 2013, 17:19
The GDS systems use 'ticketed point mileages' supplied by IATA for fare calculation purposes, and these are distances between two points by a non-stop flight.

I was curious to see how they compare with Great Circle mileages so I looked up BFS FAO which is 1221 (statute) miles in the fare quote application which converts to to 1061 nautical miles. So they are in fact GC mileages as per the first posting.

keeders
18th Mar 2013, 08:22
Many thanks indeed.

It was interesting to note that using a "back of a fag packet" approach and Pythagorus, I guesstimated 1090nm.

But I am much more comfortable now that I have your more educated responses.