PDA

View Full Version : Qatari Pilots 60% pay increase

The Tramp
14th Mar 2013, 23:36
Is it true that the local Qatari pilots have had a 60% pay increase while the other pilots have had a pay drop? (no over-time and certain other allowances removed)
Do other ME airline local pilots earn more than the ex-pat pilots. EK, EY etc?

Twinotterguy
15th Mar 2013, 07:18
Its true that the local pilots of these aviation giant countries earn well well more than expats, might be twice or even 3 times more than the average expats salary.

loc22550
15th Mar 2013, 10:36
The tramp,
Indeed,
I heard that Qataris second officers got recently a 60% increase( order from the gov.):8( not sure about F/o and CPT)
So I guess soon or later Qataris second officers will make more money compared to a non Qatari captain .:ooh:

OMAAbound
15th Mar 2013, 11:11
Why doesn't this surprise you? Emirati bank clerks earn the same as what I do sitting in the right seat of a 777! Get used to it!

loc22550
15th Mar 2013, 11:59
Why do Qataris deserve a 60% pay rise...and not the expats...????????

Flying Spag Monster
15th Mar 2013, 14:03
Largesse springs to mind...common practise in the region. Take a look at those countries that can't afford it...

tbaylx
15th Mar 2013, 14:14
What makes you think "deserve" has anything to do with pay in the Middle East?

It's their country and airline they can pay their citizens whatever they like, best not go comparing an expat contract to the locals unless you want to have blood pressure issues on your next medical.

Now if they gave half the expat pilots a 60% raise and not the other half there'd be something to talk about.

BlackandBrown
15th Mar 2013, 16:23
This 'it's their train set' mindset is all well and good but if we wanted to do the same in the UK or Europe we'd be racist, sexist, ageist, discriminatory, nasty, slave dealing infidels.

Let them fly their own planes.

gcc_
15th Mar 2013, 18:01
Excuse me but what is the problem with locals pay increasing by 60%?
This is a government thing and not Qatar Airwys specifically.
Kuwaitis get a pay from the government as well on the side. Emiratis too.
You want them to pay all the expats too?
Maybe start paying pension for you guys like they treat locals?

Fact is that if the expats worked back home, they wouldn't make half the money they do here, that's we we are all here isn't it? Not to mention the fact that here basically ARE no jobs back home..

Invalid argument here.

B2N2
15th Mar 2013, 18:05
Why do Qataris deserve a 60% pay rise...and not the expats...????????

The answer is in your question.....:suspect:

disagreeable
15th Mar 2013, 23:46
Yes Qatari's got a 60% pay raise..... why, because.... well.... hmmmm.....??????? I guess they also need ridiculous amounts of $$$$$ to go with the amount of time off and good rosters they get..... cant be unbalanced i guess :p :ugh:

All the non-qataris are just like the indians..... higher paid slaves, and unfortunately thats how they also view you. Many convince themselves otherwise.

Fact is that if the expats worked back home, they wouldn't make half the money they do here, that's we we are all here isn't it? Not to mention the fact that here basically ARE no jobs back home..Actually more true than not, but saying that doies not give the right to remove other benefits etc from those that come here and make the business run! You only save on tax here and on some things that are subsidised heavily such as fuel.
The main reason you can save here is that the majority of the population is below the poverty line and hence cheaper to employ (Slaves). If you discount it then I guess you are morally bankrupt.

BlackandBrown (http://www.pprune.org/members/340887-blackandbrown)
This 'it's their train set' mindset is all well and good but if we wanted to do the same in the UK or Europe we'd be racist, sexist, ageist, discriminatory, nasty, slave dealing infidels.

Let them fly their own planes.
Yep, agree fully...... they would soon and very quickly realise that a HUGE payrise would be in order to keep the white slaves running the business.

I would love to see this small rumour going round of the QR pilots all calling sick en-mass come true. Wow, that would make things really change! :}

salamalikum2
16th Mar 2013, 00:26
Quote by gcc
"Excuse me but what is the problem with locals pay increase by 60%":uhoh::ugh::ugh:!!

Excuse me.....??!:uhoh:

Sciolistes
16th Mar 2013, 03:40
This is a silly gripe. When I worked in Asia I was earning three times more than a local pilot.

Your pay is simply a function of what it takes to get you to leave your country. Fairness and equality are just not relevant.

indianace
16th Mar 2013, 06:06
greetings,

before anyone jump the gun...yes its true all QATARI pilots got a jump of 60% of their basic.it is called social allowance backdated to SEPT/OCT 2012.this allowance is from the QATAR GOVERMENT for all QATARI employees and not only for QATARI PILOTS.infact the qatari pilots lost almost a year of this allowance since it was introduced by the goverment.
THIS IS FROM THE EMIR AND EMIRI DEWAN ( GOVERMENT OF QATAR ).this is stated as social allowance on the pay slip and its not included on the basic.
what the goverment wants to give its citizen is totally up to the goverment and nothing you and me can do about it..infact i for one is totally happy that they got it...
as for our pay rise..i am just hoping that the company audited result ending march would entitle us to some profit sharing and an increase on basic/housing.
this tread should be considered closed as nothing there to argue about..SAFE FLYING FELLOW PILOTS.

BuzzLightyears
17th Mar 2013, 17:18
it is called social allowance

social allowance to live in Qatar in order to compensate for the sky-rocketing cost of living ... ok

allowance is from the QATAR GOVERMENT for all QATARI employees and not only for QATARI PILOTS

All the QR employee are Government employee! Who's the owner of QR?

as for our pay rise..i am just hoping that the company audited result ending march would entitle us to some profit sharing and an increase on basic/housing.

... forget about it! and before talking about profit share you need to talk about profits!

SAFE FLYING FELLOW PILOTS

you got this one right! but what is flight safety?

QatarA340
17th Mar 2013, 17:29
For years, anyone with blond hair and blue eyes get a ridiculously high salary, free education in the top private schools for their children, free home, car, ect.. while we Qataris just work by the day.

When we get a payrise, now its considered discrimination and unfair? Pleeeeeeeeeeeeease....

jimmyg
18th Mar 2013, 01:55
Reverse discrimination is fair and just because of perceived past inequality?

Anyone given anything not based on the merits of hard work is a recipe for social disaster. Debt relief programs, social allowance etc.. in the GCC have produced nothing productive and only instilled an arrogant self righteous attitude.

Just like raising kids, you only get a screaming spoiled brat by not instilling a proper work ethos.

Ramboflyer 1
18th Mar 2013, 06:17
On the other hand if there was a 60% pay rise for expats there would be no more pilot shortages .
Also the option to grow into excess of 1000 aircraft and win the ME aviation game.

jayjay340
18th Mar 2013, 12:35
I also don't see why it's such a problem for the government taking care of its people, and its not only the qatari pilots who got a 60% raise any sector that worked for the government got a raise....the law enforcement personnel got 110% raise. I'm sure no one will like if their own government take care of foreigners better than their own!

Black Pudding
18th Mar 2013, 14:43
Might it have something to do with stopping an uprising the like of which has been happening in the region during the last 2 years. Look after your people and keep them happy. Simple.

salamalikum2
18th Mar 2013, 16:15
Black pudding,
For sure it is!

de facto
19th Mar 2013, 14:17
Heard some Spanair A320 guys got kicked out of Qatar for not having the 500 hours PIC that their log book showed as having..any truth?

Airmann
19th Mar 2013, 17:34
This thread is only for those that want more money and are angry at the Qataris' pay rise its not about Spanair pilots and their fudged logbooks, start a new thread.

At the end of the day I suppose QR and the Qatari govt has to throw money at people to keep them happy, expat or local, its the only way to placate that rage that is fermenting inside.

And BTW the phenomenon of the fudged logbooks is not a new. Those that fudge things blatantly and get jobs that they are not fit to hold should be put behind bars for endangering the safety of the public. However, when you have a wife and kids to feed and you live in a country where you can see unemployment sky rocketing and no hope of finding another job and you look at your logbook and see your maybe 40 or 50 hours short...well its wrong and if it is true then its right for them to be fired, but I'm not going to stand in judgement of such people.

tournesol
24th Mar 2013, 22:29
"the same in the UK or Europe we'd be racist, sexist, ageist, discriminatory, nasty, slave dealing infidels"

1.Would you employ expats in the UK or Europe?

2.Whoever told you life is fair, lied to you.
How come I haven't heard any expat pilot flying for certain Far eastern airlines complaining about their semi-god status, which is way above the local pilots? These expacts treat the locals like second class citizens in their own country. Would you like to discuss this issue ? I don't think so.
So take it from me Life is NOT fair. Learn how to live with that innequality.

The Dominican
24th Mar 2013, 23:18
How come I haven't heard any expat pilot flying for certain Far eastern airlines complaining about their semi-god status, which is way above the local pilots? These expacts treat the locals like second class citizens in their own country. Would you like to discuss this issue ? I don't think so.

Riiiiiiiight! :rolleyes: Where is that? Because in China, Japan, Korea, Taipei, Hong Kong, you start being an ahole! They will get rid of you very quickly, quite the opposite is true:=

tournesol
25th Mar 2013, 18:46
Any company should get rid of any pilot who tries to be an a.....hole.
Isn't that fair ?
The vast majority of us perform our duties as per our contracts. If we don't like it, we leave for greener pastures. If they don't like us we get the sack and we are replaced by ppl they like. Isn't that reality ? :ugh:

pull-up-terrain
29th Mar 2013, 03:58
What im interested to know is, how much does a local Qatari Second Officer earn in US dollars. Maybe Qantas pilots arent the highest paid pilots after all.

johnnyringo42
29th Mar 2013, 06:19
Plus its your country too, WTF?? Damn foreigners lucky they can have a job in QR cause there's nothing happening in EU or US.

loc22550
29th Mar 2013, 06:26
Lucky they ( qataris)have all this expats(80% of the population) to build up and develop THEIR country.

bamboo30
29th Mar 2013, 07:09
Qataris get their payrise congratulate them. You blonde guys if not happy then leave try go back to you blonde country and get a job, stop coming here and bitch thinking you are colonial masters. Simple as that. Oh i forgot, you got no job back home.

motley flight crue
29th Mar 2013, 08:02
Bamboo. You England speak good. Stay in noodle land. You need us. We certainly don't need you in our country. Unless we need taxi drivers. An Asian CPL should be suffice.

disagreeable
29th Mar 2013, 13:06
Qataris get their payrise congratulate them. You blonde guys if not happy then leave try go back to you blonde country and get a job, stop coming here and bitch thinking you are colonial masters. Simple as that. Oh i forgot, you got no job back home. Your an idiot of the highest order.
However, just wait until there is jobs in Europe, you will then see how many people will leave; And you sir can rub your loins in pleasure as you have to work with more morons like yourself. :ugh:

loc22550
30th Mar 2013, 04:10
Kijamgnim

1- once again...I have nothing to do with management.

2-my thread is not insulting anybody,simply a true fact.yes 80% of the population are expats,and who is building roads,infrastructure,buildings,shopping mall,properties..in this country.....?
Tell me....

Bamboo,
" colonial Masters"???
Do you remember when a British guy was killed years back in a bomb attack at the national theater here.
The next day,Qataris starts sh...in their pans,so scared that all the expats are gone leave the country,and they organized immediately an hypocrite demonstration on corniche on "support"for the expats community,with slogan like , " expats we like you, don't leave the country....":E

" colonial Masters"???
Or maybe are you talking about all this poor asian workers forced to work by 45 degrees+ building the country for you, a sent back home every summer in coffin after dying from an heatstroke..
Sure you aren't! Otherwise feel free to take their job!

4HolerPoler
30th Mar 2013, 05:47
Touchy subject guys. Will clearly attract the trolls who feed on such conjecture. Recognize it as such & please try & maintain your composure in the face of such vitriol. Ignore (I understand it's difficult) these shallow taunts.

4HP

fatbus
30th Mar 2013, 06:48
A few years back Expats at JAL were on about 1/3 of the local pilots. So this is nothing new . Along the same line, local pilots in China are on way less than the expats, so maybe they should get a 60 % pay increase. Don't compare the expat package with the local period.

salamalikum2
30th Mar 2013, 08:28
Fatbus,
As far as I known local pilots here( Qatari) has never been paid less than expats.
On top of that they already have extra benefits that expats doesn't have like pension for example,free educations..
Following that logic I would have think that expats instead deserve a pay increase.:rolleyes:

casablanca
30th Mar 2013, 10:15
It's a 2 way street....the expats are there as it was a better option then they were facing at home. The local Qataris can not do it by themselves...there just isn't enough people in the country. I think a little mutual respect goes a long way. If they treat people poorly they attract a poorer quality of pilot.
However as long as they honor the contract you signed they can be as generous as they want with their own people and it shouldn't change things.
I see one problem it does cause is inflation....if everybody starts making more money there is a certain amount of inflation....cars, homes, schools etc....all are getting more costly and the housing and school allowance is inadequate.

Flytdeck
30th Mar 2013, 11:30
In the Northeastern USA, they have a analogy that reflects this thread. When a catch of lobsters are placed in a pail, several may try to escape by climbing up the sides. Inevitably, the other lobsters use their claws to grab their tails and pull them back down to share their fate.

We all arrived here after signing a contract. Though some might say they were "forced" to accept the conditions because they had no alternatives, this is not true. There are always alternatives, possibly not in the aviation industry. Therefore, we agreed to the terms and found them satisfactory.

With very few exceptions, the contract terms are being fulfilled satisfactorily. Therefore we should have no complaints. The Qatari pilots work under a different agreement. Their Government is fortunate enough to be is a position to reward them for their diligence. This has absolutely NOTHING to do with us and in fact, we should be pleased with their good fortune. We are NOT lobsters.

A suggestion. If you are NOT satisfied here, move on. Otherwise, put your head into our profession, go to work with a positive attitude, and do the best and most professional job you can on EVERY flight. Respect your crewmates and encourage conversations and opinions. On every flight I learn extraordinary things both related to aviation, and culturally. The experience and knowledge you gain will fare you well in the future. Consider THIS your reward.

Edit to correct typo.

beeps
30th Mar 2013, 11:53
Well said Flytdeck.......:D::D:ok:

Hopefully should end the debate on how the local government rewards its own citizens.

Bottomline is, that this was mandated by their governmant for their citizens and not by Qatar Airways, ONLY for their local employees

tournesol
30th Mar 2013, 21:47
Flytdeck, you are very wise indeed.
The people who are bitching, are the ones who cannot find solutions to their own miseries and blame the whole world for their missfortunes.
Very sad indeed.
:ok:

salamalikum2
31st Mar 2013, 04:20
Flytdeck if you encourage discussions and opinions (as you said )let the people express their opinions,should it be positive or negative...even though we can't do anything.this is I guess the primary purpose of this thread.,isn'it?
Or do you mean everybody should be happy with the 60% increase for Qataris only?

Flytdeck
3rd Apr 2013, 15:22
Salamalium2:

This forum ENCOURAGES individuals to express their opinion just as I expressed mine and I would encourage you to express yours.

In answer to your question, I am very happy that the Qatari Monarchy is sharing the abundant good fortune and wealth of their country with their citizens. I am also pleased that some of this good fortune coincides with my professional training and they are willing to supply me fair remuneration for my education, experience, and training.

Indeed in would be in both our financial interests to be a Qatari citizen. The question remains as to whether you would trade your heritage for this benefit?

av8r76
3rd Apr 2013, 16:33
The thread title itself is misleading. ALL Qataris have gotten a raise. While this is an aviation based site, we look at it from that perspective. But looking at this holistically, this is not an 'insult' or an affront on expat terms and conditions.

Working here in Oman, it's nice to see the local government provide perks and benefits which we can only dream of in our home country. It's ironic because talking to local Omanis, they seem to have a certain bit of envy at the level of support the Qatari and UAE govt. offers to its citizens.

So a little heartburn is understandable but the reactions on this thread almost border on the ridiculous. The relationship we have with our Middle Eastern employers is symbiotic. We both need each other just as much. Like anywhere in the world, the relationship always tilts in favour of the employer, except in the case of collective representation (even with that, the asymmetry tilts only marginally).

Kudos to the govt. and hope for the locals to utilize these advantages judiciously.