PDA

View Full Version : History of the gyroscope and radar in WW2.

moroz49
11th Mar 2013, 17:12
Dear American fans of the aviation history!
Be so kind help me , please .
I v got great interest to know as much as possible about history of the gyroscope setting during WW2, and first radar device in cobra P69 during WW2 … if it was true of course.
May be somebody show me the book in internet … or send me e-mail with short text … or tell me this in Skype ?
I will be very thankful for any information !
Vladimir Morozkin Balakhna Nizhni Novgorod region Russia .

PAXboy
11th Mar 2013, 22:26
Hello moroz49, you are welcome here to this British site for fans of the aviation history! :)

I'm sure that someone will be here soon to post the information you seek. :ok:

Audiophile_AU
13th Mar 2013, 11:45
Hi,
you should beg, borrow, steal, or perhaps even buy (!) a book by Robert Buderi "The INVENTION that changed the world - The story of radar from war to peace" first published in the USA by Simon Schuster 1996, my copy published in Great Britain by Little, Brown & Company 1997. ISBN 0 316 90715 4
The writer was sponsored by the Alfred P Sloan Foundation, and is a history of the Radiation Lab at MIT during WW2 and afterwards. Naturally it includes a lot of the British developments in the lead up to WW2. The semiconductor diodes used as sensitive detectors in the radar receivers were developed at Bell Labs, and were further developed into the transistor, and the rest is history, as they say. The British developed the magnetron which could provide very large powers at centrimetric wavelengths, and together the co-developed radar system had an excellent performance. And post war there was a frantic effort to get an early warning system across the north of America and Canada, the DEW line, for which IBM received a contract to develop the first computers for tracking multiple targets, and for which they developed magnetic core memory, and got a head start into computing.
Anyway, if Amazon or Ebay don't have it, you may be able to get it on an inter library loan. It is a very interesting book!
best regards
David

ian16th
15th Mar 2013, 12:06
0316907154 - AbeBooks (http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?isbn=0316907154&sts=t)

Available for as little as US$1, the postage will be more!