PDA

View Full Version : Multi Pilot aircraft?

neilson
8th Mar 2013, 16:03
Hey,

Just wondering if a metro 23/III is considered a multi-pilot aircraft according to JAA? I know some small commuter operators require two pilots for commercial passenger service in Canada. While some cargo only operators fly these aircraft single pilot in Canada and the US.

I'm just curious what the designation is in the UK and Europe and where I can reference it? Any help would be much appreciated.

silverknapper
8th Mar 2013, 19:56
Multi pilot. But i willhave to search for a reference.

zondaracer
8th Mar 2013, 20:34
It is Single Pilot...
http://www.easa.europa.eu/certification/experts/docs/oeb-general/List_of_Aeroplanes_--_Class_and_Type_Ratings_and_Endorsement_List-08032013.pdf

However, under European rules for public carriage in many situations, you are required to operate as a multicrew operation.

neilson
8th Mar 2013, 20:48
thanks fellas,

Looks pretty cut and dry with the excerpt from EASA. All my years flying the metro in a multi-crew, commuter environment and none of it is recognized as it's clear that its only considered a single pilot a/c.

neilson
12th Mar 2013, 03:58
I'm basing this on EASA's list. Unless there is some sort of waiver or let, that the regulators will budge. I just can't seem to find any reference other than the facts laid out on EASA's website.

If you know where there is any documentation or reference that permits people who've operated 19 seat turboprops, in a multi-crew environment to count it as multi-crew time, I would be very appreciative. I just have yet to find it.

Okay, just saw your updated post.....

I'll have to call my old employer I suppose. Haven't worked there in a bit. Thanks for the info.

Superpilot
12th Mar 2013, 04:01
neilson, you can't go by that list! It's not representative of the credit awarding system which is different to the aircraft category system.

Guys flying the Single Engine Caravan in Indonesia and the Caribbean are managing to get it recognised as Multi-Crew time in the UK and the rest of Europe too. This is because those Caravan operations are mandated to fly only as Multi-Crew even though the Caravan is a "Single Pilot" aircraft.

So long as you can provide a letter from your employer confirming that they operate Multi-Crew on the Metroliner (you may also be asked for a copy of the AOC) you will get credit. I'm pretty certain of it.

Superpilot
12th Mar 2013, 04:08
Sorry, I deleted and reposted in between your response.

In which country are you attempting to gain credit for this multi-pilot time? As with many things to do with JAA/EASA the information does exist somewhere but is usually well hidden or cryptically worded so no amount of Google searching will yield the expected results. My advice is to call/email the local authority telling them about the specific situation and even then don't take the first answer as gospel.

neilson
12th Mar 2013, 04:20
No problem.

Well, It would be in the UK. My current company would be the ones seeking clarification or a waiver on my behalf since they would be sending me there, if i'm legal to fly there.

Personally though I couldn't care less really if I go or not. I'm just trying to determine if I should start drafting up plans for my backyard deck build this summer or packing for an overseas deployment.

I do appreciate your insight though. I'll contact an EASA/JAA regulator perhaps and see what they say.

IXUXU
23rd Apr 2013, 05:42
Metroliner is, according the AFM, a certified single pilot aircraft.....and multicrew operation.

You can not use the Metroliner to get your practical ATPL exam but you can use the hours flown on Metroliner, once you jump to a certified multipilot aircraft...in Europe.

mad_jock
23rd Apr 2013, 15:29
If you have being flying it multi crew thats fine and you can log that time as multi crew.

The only thing you can't use it for is an ATPL upgrade LPC test. Which needs to be done in a multicrew type.

There is nothing in theory stopping you being a Captain of said aircraft with a CPL either like the Beech 1900D