PDA

View Full Version : JAA TRI

Andy24
5th Mar 2013, 15:52
Can somebody please be so kind and shed some light to the following question?

I have a JAA TRI rating restricted - No abnormal/emergency training in an aircraft. As far as I know, I can conduct cadet/upgrade training in an aircraft as long as no simulated abnormal or emergency training is done. I recently met a friend you told me that this restriction means that training can only be done in a simulator. Is this correct?

Would greatly appreciate any clarification on the matter as my local CAA will start implementing EASA as from 8 April

hueyracer
5th Mar 2013, 19:09
What do you mean by "restricted"?
What does your licence say?

Does it say "TRI r.p."?

nick14
19th Mar 2013, 12:28
ours normally say TRI (sim only) or TRI (Aircraft only) or nil if both as far as I am aware.

I would be inclined to agree with you, if it says no abnormal etc then you can conduct aircraft training with no simulated problems.

lederhosen
20th Mar 2013, 18:32
The TRI restricted is effectively a sim instructor rating for captains (SFI is the copilot equivalent). To instruct in the aircraft without abnormals and emergencies you do not even need a TRI unless you fly something where it is easier to do abnormal training in the aircraft rather than the sim (exec jet with few available sims for example). However for base training and of course sim checks the instructor has a TRE. So the progression would be line training captain, TRI restricted, TRI then TRE.

nick14
20th Mar 2013, 20:43
SFI/TRI has nothing to do with rank at all it is merely a certain level of instructor qualification due to experience or training requirements.

Base training does not have to be done by a TRE, TRI aircraft will suffice. However any instruction in an aircraft for the issue/revalidation/renewal of a type rating should (as far as I am aware) be done by a TRI. Line training of a type rate crew member can be done by a line training captain, as can line checks etc.