PDA

View Full Version : How do you "get up to speed" when starting a shift or coming off a break?

nellystew
25th Feb 2013, 19:16
When starting a shift or coming off a break, how long does it take to get a full picture of what's happening and how do you do it?

ZOOKER
25th Feb 2013, 22:18
How about at the start of a watch cycle, after 3 days off? ATC shift cycles often start with 2 'morning', or early duties. When I started, the shift cycle began with 'afternoons', with a gradual build up to tea-time traffic.
Now, it's usually WANG, straight into the first traffic rotation of the day.

Also, coming back after, say, 2 weeks leave was interesting, especially during summer traffic levels.

chiglet
25th Feb 2013, 22:39
Some people used to come in 30secs late...quel surprise, all sectors manned [and ladied] until the splits....:E that woke them up.
To be fair, the ATCO does spend time assesing the sector prior to taking over.
ATSA [retired]:ok:

The Many Tentacles
26th Feb 2013, 04:23
Sit down and get on with it after having a handover

reportyourlevel
26th Feb 2013, 11:31
after having a handover

Which is what, I think, the OP wants to know about. We do it like this:

The oncoming controller plugs their headset in the available socket (each position has two sockets). This allows direct speech between the two headsets for clarity and recording of the handover should it be required for training or an incident investigation. The outgoing controller, when convenient, describes what is happening. This will include the air pressure, runway in use, aerodrome status, weather, unusual activity and the present and planned traffic situation. When the oncoming controller accepts the position (maybe after a question or a condition like "turn ABC123 left ten degrees, then I'll take it") the outgoing will unplug and should stay in the room for a minute or two, particularly if it's busy or complicated, in case anything has been missed.

It is worth noting that the oncoming controller is not required to accept the position until they are completely happy with the situation. For example, if I thought two aircraft were going to lose separation shortly after I took over (extreme example, I know) I would make the outgoing controller remedy the situation before I accepted responsibility for the position.

Daermon ATC
26th Feb 2013, 16:35
Not much to add after the very good summary of reportyourlevel.

Perhaps mentioning that while it is not mandatory, a very good practice is for the atco starting the shift to arrive 2-3 minutes earlier and plug himself to the console to listen to the communications while checking the screen in order to get a feeling of the situation prior to the formal handover. Also very advisable is that the atco ending his shift stays put next to the console for another 2-3 minutes in order to be able to point out things that might have slipped the newcomers attention and to be able to give a hand if necessary.

Sadly this routine is not always used :rolleyes:

tczulu
26th Feb 2013, 19:01
Crap,eyesight must be going. Thought The Many Tentacles said " sit down and get on with it after a hangover!":}

ZOOKER
26th Feb 2013, 20:10
tczulu,
that's comforting, because I thought exactly the same when I read it at 0830 this-morning. :ok:

tczulu
26th Feb 2013, 20:20
Zooker
If you can read @0830 it can't be much of a hangover!

Daermon ATC
27th Feb 2013, 08:12
I read exactly the same... guilty conscience anyone? :E

ILS 119.5
27th Feb 2013, 12:55
Report your level, very good text book reply and completely correct, however most switched on controllers would know r/w in use, serviceabilities, wip etc before they plug in, I don't think a pressure handover nor weather is applicable as that would have been checked by the oncoming controller, besides the weather inc qnh can change as the controller is plugging in. All I can say is for the incoming controller to get the traffic picture and decide what to do next after flicking the switch, once getting the picture saying "I've got it" then flick the switch and take the position. If the outgoing controller has to sort a problem then he/she may want to sort it before takeover. I have seen the outgoing controller hanging around to ensure that everything is handed over and on the other hand I have heard the incoming controller asking the outgoing controller (as they are walking out the door) "what level is the speed bird descending to?" Finally if the incoming ATCO is switched on (and should be or shouldn't be at work) and pre briefed and has the picture with a plan then there should't be any problem. It is a fact though that most incidents happen during handovers and quiet periods.

6000PIC
27th Feb 2013, 13:10
Has anyone ever thought of using a phrase such as " new controller " spoken on frequency with a change in controller as a way to reduce incidents ? It would increase RT traffic , but at what cost/benefit ? Apologise if going off topic.

TAAMGuy
27th Feb 2013, 13:31
We used checklists. Cover off the required items and then pull out your headset. In Canada, the spoken items are recorded to confirm compliance.

Del Prado
27th Feb 2013, 18:12
Coming back 2-3 minutes early to listen in, hang around for 2-3 minutes afterwards plus, say, 4 minutes for handover. Whose 'responsibility free break' does that 10 minutes come out of?

reportyourlevel
27th Feb 2013, 19:48
most switched on controllers would know r/w in use, serviceabilities, wip etc before they plug in, I don't think a pressure handover nor weather is applicable as that would have been checked by the oncoming controller, besides the weather inc qnh can change as the controller is plugging in

Agreed, but it's a "shall" in our part two.

ETA for us the runway in use is not always immediately obvious.

Daermon ATC
28th Feb 2013, 07:39
Coming back 2-3 minutes early to listen in, hang around for 2-3 minutes
afterwards plus, say, 4 minutes for handover. Whose 'responsibility free break'
does that 10 minutes come out of?

Listening does not imply control. There is always only one controller ... controlling. We do not say "I have control" as pilots do but the "Controller in command" is always clear.

ILS 119.5
6th Mar 2013, 15:48
"reportyourlevel" agreed in your mats pt 2 it may say "shall" however in mats pt 1 it states for watch handover "shall" but for handing over a position states "should" . There are no specific lists for the handing over but the taking over controller "should" be aware of certain things. Bit of a grey area if you want to read more deeply into it.

Andy Mayes
6th Mar 2013, 15:57
Coming back 2-3 minutes early to listen in

2-3 minutes early? It would be novel if some of my colleagues would arrive within 2 -3 minutes after they should have arrived!

Barnaby the Bear
6th Mar 2013, 17:28
Turn up 2-3 minutes before, plug into the spare socket, watch and listen. Sometimes the one vacating is too busy too explain it all (good board management helps), so only once I am fully happy to take over will I let them know and agree to take control. Then flip the switch on the comms to my headset and carry on.
Sadly occassionally some do just wonder in late, but a friendly word between colleagues usually stops that from being the norm... Afterall its swings and roundabouts.

The outgoing controller will then hover for a couple of minutes or unless i let them know I'm ok.

Then just get on with it. :ok: