PDA

View Full Version : Flight Instructor Rating - Currency & Privileges

Savage_UK
20th Feb 2013, 15:06
Hi PPRuners

One of those "easy if you know" type questions...

I am due to sit my FI(A) flight test in the coming weeks, so want to swot up on the qualification criteria (ie. to demonstrate that I meet the requirements), the privileges when I do get the rating, and the currency I'll need to do on a rolling basis.

Anybody have the link to the CAA/Lasors guide which spells all that out? At the moment all I can find is the changes that are likely to occur with the introduction of EASA licensing.

Thanks in advance.

zondaracer
20th Feb 2013, 15:20
LASORS was replaced by CAP 804. Google is your friend

CAP 804: Flight Crew Licensing: Mandatory Requirements, Policy and Guidance | Publications | About the CAA (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=5000)

Savage_UK
20th Feb 2013, 17:18
Thank you kindly - you are an asbolute gent*

*unless of course you are a lady. In which case, my thanks to you all the same.

chrisbl
20th Feb 2013, 18:06
Your Instructors should have covered this or at least pointed you in the right direction.

You should also be able to explain the privileges of the licences you are instructing for too.

ifitaintboeing
20th Feb 2013, 19:28
Standards Document 10 (A) is guidance to FIC Instructors and FI Examiners as to the type of questions to ask on a FI test. Available to download on the CAA website.

Another_CFI
20th Feb 2013, 21:13
Chrisbl is absolutely correct in his/her comments; however you should also expect to be asked about the restrictions which will apply when you initially receive your FI(A) Restricted rating and what you need to do to get the Restriction removed.

Your FIC instructor should have covered this during your training along with any current "hot" topics.

Ex Oggie
21st Feb 2013, 09:31
The above comments are absolutely correct; this should have been covered in your course of training. You may not yet have completed the course, so your instructor may cover this at a later date. Make sure it is, it is important and you will be quizzed on it by the FIE during your AoC (it is no longer called a flight test). Don't get 'short changed' on the course.

You need to bury yourself in EASA Part-FCL, 1178/2011, AMC & GMs. Use the original source. They are available here EASA Flight Standards (http://easa.europa.eu/flightstandards/index.html)

Incidentally, it is no longer a Flight Instructor Rating, it is an Instructor Certificate. Small details are what the FIE will probe you on. Remember, you need this knowledge as you will be the one advising other's of its intricacies once you are qualified.

Good luck