PDA

View Full Version : May I ask how often does the slideraft inadvertently deployed?

Bungfai
20th Feb 2013, 09:14
May I ask how often does the slideraft of your airline inadvertently deployed by cabin crew?
My airline operates international flight with one hundred aircraft and it occurs 4-5 times a year.
Thanks.

mr Q
20th Feb 2013, 10:14
Depends on what you mean by inadvertently !!!!

POS_INT
20th Feb 2013, 10:55
at least once a year! distraction is useually the cause:ugh:

Piltdown Man
20th Feb 2013, 22:17
I'd suggest that the numbers that really matter are movements per year, rather than aircraft. We are a European airline with 100,000 movements per year and we have about 1.5 inadvertent slide deployments. As we are a two-crew airline. Each flight required slide disarming by a single crew member and no cross-checking is possible. We are fortunate that slides will also be disarmed if a door is opened from the outside, a factor which may result in us under-estimating our exposure to this risk.

Bungfai
21st Feb 2013, 01:50
Thank you so much.
Inadvertently means "open the door from inside without disarming the slide"

The airline will cut 25% off the salary if do so.
Still we have a big problem of deploying without intention.
Just wonder what about the other airlines.

We try hard to change to opening from the outside.
But the company says we have to pay for qualified personal to open aircraft door from outside. They don't want to pay extra.
And they says in Italy opening from outside is not allowed.
(we operate B777 which can do two crew for each door and we have cross-check procedure.)

Piltdown Man
26th Feb 2013, 21:04
Bungfai - What a lovely company you work for! Your management haven't got a clue about building a safety culture. If people are punished for transgressions they'll never get the truth about what actually happened. Furthermore, they will actively encourage people NOT to report anything they see, in case they or their colleagues are fined. Now if they are a member or any alliance (One World, Star or SkyTeam) I think you'll find that this is not a permitted practice. Also, they deserve to have this information to be 'leaked' by a whistle-blower and lastly, should they be a problem in the future, they deserve to be sued. Maybe a shareholder should ask about this policy at an AGM?

mutt
27th Feb 2013, 04:48
Now if they are a member or any alliance (One World, Star or SkyTeam) I think you'll find that this is not a permitted practice. Where is this written? We are an alliance airline and we also have specific "punitive punishments" written in our policy manual that the airline "can" impose, so are you saying that this is illegal. I think that the highest that the have imposed so far is $50,000 on a Captain.

Piltdown Man
27th Feb 2013, 15:00
Not, it's not illegal but alliances have agreements regarding safety issues, reporting and such like. We regularly suffer IOSA audits and we start accumulating black marks if we can't present our training accreditations, confidentiality agreements and demonstrate a robust safety programme - amongst other items. Fining people is not a safety programme, it is the complete opposite. A lack of air safety reports (and I bet you have few of these) means that either the auditors have been bribed or someone is generating duff paperwork to make it look like everything is hunky-dory. Unless of course, your management get grassed up and the auditors are pointed to sections of your manuals that show this onastic practice.

de facto
27th Feb 2013, 16:22
Furthermore, they will actively encourage people NOT to report anything they see, in case they or their colleagues are fined.

How could one get away(hiding) with deploying a slide by mistake?fold it and put it back in?:E

Piltdown Man
27th Feb 2013, 18:02
How could one get away(hiding) with deploying a slide by mistake?fold it and put it back in?

Unfortunately, there have been too many incidents where "half" deployed slides have been stuffed back in their containers, ovens catching fire where the previous user "forgot" to mention they didn't remove a plastic container, oxygen bottles that don't work because they have been dropped, badly closing doors because previously something was jammed inside them, etc. And then you find some clown of a Flight Safety Manager telling all and sundry about how safe his airline is because they don't receive ASRs from their crews. The same miserable git also fails to mention that any poor sod who has the temerity to file a report will be fined 25% or their salary.