PDA

View Full Version : Port Hedland AFISO - Flight Service, the Next Generation!

Spodman
20th Feb 2013, 01:00
Airservices advertising for "Provision of in-situ Aerodrome Flight Information Service (AFIS) at PHIA [Port Hedland International Airport]

On site provision of AFIS includes directed traffic information within Aerodrome Flight Information Zone (AFIZ); Search & Rescue (SAR) alerting, local weather advice, and coordination with adjacent ATC units."

Position Description (http://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fsecure.pageuppeople.com%2Fapply%2FTransf erRichTextFile.ashx%3FsData%3D9SVvWGZB3hHHYn8GAo5DYlKvodCnl% 252FYgL5quhUuPAt%252BZNAQPeXfXGLKPLj0Zw9Y7YoBqDFoN%252BRM0Gq tl7AfA7i3TFzd0sPWgWgJSiLSy2xg%253D&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNEAFQWM5XMkeiitHvpoqoxHc2Gj3Q)

Erm, I don't fancy going back there, but its a nice opportunity for somebody. Griffo p'raps???

Delta_Foxtrot
20th Feb 2013, 03:17
And so the wheel turns! I've been around long enough to remember the Flight Service Units and they were exactly that - excellent service 24/7. Most used on the ground for me was Wagga (those guys were whips on flight plans) as I transitted there often. And who could forget Roger Dubbo? :ok:

Tinstaafl
20th Feb 2013, 03:22
And so the wheel turns, all right. Give it a few years and someone will suggest CTAFs.

Ex FSO GRIFFO
20th Feb 2013, 03:52
No No No No No No.......

Thanks - but NO thanks Mr Spod...!!!:=:=

I've BEEN to dirty, dusty, PD.....:yuk:

I do believe its gunna be FIFO ex Perth.
And the $$'s seem 'reasonable'.

Er...Traffic Was....
:O

YPJT
20th Feb 2013, 04:29
Port Hedland. One of those places where spending a night seems like a week.

le Pingouin
20th Feb 2013, 10:45
I note there is no requirement to have actually held a licence so I guess it might attract someone who failed to gain a rating recently. There can't be too many ex-FSOs under 50 who have had regional experience and would it be an inviting ATC retirement top up? Depends how the divorce went I guess :}

SOPS
20th Feb 2013, 13:23
We are going back to the future.:D

Ex FSO GRIFFO
20th Feb 2013, 13:40
"Hold, or have held, Australian Flight Service Officer (FSO) licence/ Certificate of Competency
Hold, or have held, Australian Air Traffic Control (ATC) licence"

'Fraid so Mr Penguin....
:ok:

OZBUSDRIVER
20th Feb 2013, 19:15
I keep hearing that Shirley Bassey song.....

Where will this end, Griffo?;)

....it is all just history repeating!

OZBUSDRIVER
20th Feb 2013, 19:21
I just hope the old politics stays out of this and lets us all see how this develops. DTI from a FSU? whodathunkit? Wonder where the feed will come from?:E

Jack Ranga
20th Feb 2013, 22:03
It's a temporary measure until a TWR is built.

Ex FSO GRIFFO
20th Feb 2013, 22:33
Wot's wrong wif de 'present' twr building I wonder..??

Apart from being 'disused' for a number of years, that is....

Robbovic
20th Feb 2013, 23:58
Blue stuff from up the road at Wittenoom

peuce
21st Feb 2013, 00:52
I wonder what the Airspace Classification it will be? Does Class G provide for an AFIS?

Ex FSO GRIFFO
21st Feb 2013, 01:22
Hi Oz,

Yep! As JR says, its tempo and location specific until they get ATC up there - again.
As for DTI for the rest of OZ....too far gone now, IMHO.
All FS frequencies / outlets were either swapped over to ATC freqs, or dismantled. Hence we had a 'few' Flightwatch VHF's around the place, 3 in WA at one time - these were the ones superfluous to ATC req's.
Now they have g o r n e as well.

Keep safe,
:ok:

Towering Q
21st Feb 2013, 04:59
I hope they get the lights working before then.:*

Propstop
21st Feb 2013, 07:58
I hope they get the lights working before then.

I was told they were hit by lightning and will take a while to be fixed.

Jack Ranga
21st Feb 2013, 08:19
Class G. Extensive ICAO document covers AFIS. UK CAA CAP on AFIS interesting read.

le Pingouin
21st Feb 2013, 14:37
Griffo, that's not how I read the document Spod linked to: "Completed FSO/ ATC training as per Airservices Learning Academy curriculum and associated lesson plans"

I interpret that as having passed the course, but not necessarily rated. Clearly I don't speak bureaucratese.

Towering Q
22nd Feb 2013, 21:48
An Ipad wont call you a local taxi or book you accomodation when you 20nm's inbound

You obviously haven't discovered its full potential....:cool:

Capn Bloggs
23rd Feb 2013, 00:58
I wonder what the Airspace Classification it will be? Does Class G provide for an AFIS?
They did a similar thing at Karratha before the tower (re) opened, but that was manned by ATC. In this case though, if all they are going to do is employ ex Griffos, it would have been simpler just to set up a CAGRO. All the documentation is already in place.

The airspace should actually be Class F, transitioning to a tower.

Pinky the pilot
23rd Feb 2013, 01:58
Aww, c"mon Griffo. Do you mean to tell us that if someone in authority waved a big bunch of 50s and 100s under your nose to at least just go there and train up a bunch of new FSOs that you wouldn't be tempted?:hmm::E

Ex FSO GRIFFO
23rd Feb 2013, 04:27
Hi Pinky,
Wot DID I have for breakfast this morning??

Did I have brekkie??

Er...Traffic was....:eek: (Scary...)

'Abbinoon' Bloggsie,
To be a CAGRO, the criteria (Think BRM) was to have held ATC or FS Licence.
In my time there, we were all ex PH FS as most of us had been made 'redundo' fairly 'recently' in those days.

Keep smiling...:ok:

Nautilus Blue
23rd Feb 2013, 04:38
As for DTI for the rest of OZ....too far gone now, IMHO.
All FS frequencies / outlets were either swapped over to ATC freqs, or dismantled. Hence we had a 'few' Flightwatch VHF's around the place, 3 in WA at one time - these were the ones superfluous to ATC req's.
Now they have g o r n e as well.

Except that IFR/IFR DTI is universal, and IFR/VFR and VFR/VFR DTI still exists inside surveillance coverage. Flightwatch VHF was shut down because the service moved to area VHF. If I had a dollar for every VFR flight plan amendment I'd taken, I could buy a coffee every week.

The good old days were indeed better from a service point of view, but we live in a user pays world, and the user didn't want to pay.

The airspace should actually be Class F

Without wishing to turn this into another alphabet airspace debate, why F?

Capn Bloggs
23rd Feb 2013, 05:02
Without wishing to turn this into another alphabet airspace debate, why F?
F is uncontrolled airspace with a collision avoidance service/ATAS for IFR, which means DTI. Australian Class G is ICAO G on steroids because ours has full DTI when ICAO G has only a FIS. The purists also say that Class F is only a temporary, transitional airspace category between G and moving to D or E (:yuk:); just right for YPPD.

SKYbrary - Classification of Airspace (http://www.skybrary.aero/index.php/Classification_of_Airspace)

Nautilus Blue
23rd Feb 2013, 06:04
From that link,

Class F. IFR and VFR flights are permitted, all participating IFR flights receive an air traffic advisory service and all flights receive flight information service if requested.

Now that I don't have a problem with, as you say its almost what we do in G.

But, "air traffic advisory service" is (my bold)

Air Traffic Advisory Service is a service provided within advisory airspace to ensure separation, insofar as practical, between aircraft which are operating on IFR flight plans.

What does that mean to me as an ATC? I am required separate, even though you are not subject to a clearance, unless I can't, in which case I'm not? "Ensure" and "Separate" have very very specific meanings in our books, and neither allow for "if practical" escape clauses. (It may be that Eurocontrol are using the terms more loosely.)

Some people have argued that out "G plus" is a temporary, transitional airspace category between our old full service OCTA and proper ICAO G, but the transition has lasted 20+ years and counting.

And it looks like I have started an airspace classification argument, sorry :O

Capn Bloggs
23rd Feb 2013, 07:03
What does that mean to me as an ATC? I am required separate, even though you are not subject to a clearance, unless I can't, in which case I'm not?
Reading too much into it. You are not required to separate aircraft, the service provides information so that separation can be maintained ie the pilots use the info from the (your) advisory service to keep themselves separated. :ok:

As for the camp who thought HiCap RPT jets and Props operating in a no-traffic info, no radio environment was aok, well, thankfully that was in a previous age. Haven't heard from Leddie for a while, here he comes now, when you get here, where's that reference in AIP about operating 1nm off track in CTA...

Dick Smith
23rd Feb 2013, 10:15
When I was involved in the removal of Australia's unique full position reporting system for VFR aircraft in the early 90's I was told many lives would be lost.

What is the current factual information on this considering we have now over 20 years of experience and data?

I think the evidence will show it was a gross mis allocation of resources.

Then again Dubbo FS was great in phoning for a taxi!

Dick Smith
23rd Feb 2013, 10:21
And Bloggs. Class F has no requirement for VFR aircraft to be fitted with a radio.

And you sure wouldn't like that!

Ex FSO GRIFFO
24th Feb 2013, 01:03
Does anyone remember...??

"Your Safety Will Be Enhanced And It Will Cost You Less"......

NEITHER HAS OCCURRED ! ! !

:}

p.s. Thanks for the redundo....

kimwestt
24th Feb 2013, 02:19
Or a hot toasted sango 9 pm at DBY. What was that long legged shielas name?
Bloody good sangos!!
:ok::ok:

peuce
24th Feb 2013, 19:57
Dick, never under-estimate a human being's self preservation abilities.

I daresay that if you took away all ATC now, there may not even be a prang, due to our innate self preservation skills.

But geez we'd have to work hard at it.

Hempy
24th Feb 2013, 22:13
Dick,
No one has any problems with you deluding yourself. I'm sure in your mind you believe you made the right decision back then, and I guess thats your prerogative...
But please, dont come on here and try and convince the people who deal in it and with it every day that it is what is most obviously isn't. Just be happy that in 20 or 30 years time there wont be anyone left who remembers what a real and proper 'service' is, and no one to know what a fk up you made.

Traffic_Is_Er_Was
24th Feb 2013, 23:31
Maybe if it wasn't in Hedland? No one wanted to go there when it was a FSC ;).
Much as I look back on the life with rose-coloured glasses, there was much more to the job than just providing a traffic service in an AFIZ and I don't think I'd want to do just that bit again (which was actually the easiest bit). We looked after half of Arnhem Land. It was providing a service throughout the whole FIA that I enjoyed (and for a lot less than $78-93k). The job wasn't just all about traffic advisories. If you want aircraft separated, then pay for ATC.

"They" have already decided long ago the service was not warranted or required.
Let "Them" deal with the consequences of that decision.

From the position description:Actively demonstrate the Airservices Values of Excellence, Inclusion, Cohesion and Initiative
Had a laugh at that bit.

SOPS
25th Feb 2013, 12:28
IMHO FSUs were the best thing in Australian aviation, and it was a sad day when they closed. No matter what Dick thinks.

Vag277
25th Feb 2013, 21:03
I did my abinitio training in PD in 75/76. We had Flight Service, Ops Control, Tower and Met.

Capn Bloggs
25th Feb 2013, 21:18
C'Mon, Griffo, they're laying on some nice weather for you to entice you back... :}

SPECI YPPD 252209Z AUTO 14042G61KT 6000 -SHRA SCT037 BKN061 BKN075 24/22 Q0987
RMK RF00.2/011.4

Towering Q
25th Feb 2013, 22:19
Tell me about it Bloggs....it's positively evil outside!!!:eek:

But you guys should be able to get in....it's blowing straight down 14.:E

Capn Bloggs
25th Feb 2013, 22:29
But you guys should be able to get in....it's blowing straight down 14.
No can do. Too windy for the walkaround; mess up my perm! :p

le Pingouin
26th Feb 2013, 03:50
http://www.dilbert.com/dyn/str_strip/000000000/00000000/0000000/100000/70000/7000/500/177515/177515.strip.print.gif

The Voice
27th Feb 2013, 04:34
I'm seriously sorely tempted to renew my ratings for that airspace again! whaddya reckon Griff?

Ex FSO GRIFFO
27th Feb 2013, 06:04
Hi Voicey,

Black & 1...Thanks..!!

WOT?? I've had two already..??

Er...Tfc WAS....

:p

peuce
14th Jul 2014, 04:03
Heard a rumour that the AFIS at Hedland may not be as temporary as we first thought... It seems that the dollars for replacing it with a Control Service add up to quite a tidy sum...but only a rumour :hmm:

Ex FSO GRIFFO
14th Jul 2014, 07:27
Hi Mr P,

Wasn't PD ATC closed originally because the 'Shire of Port Hedland' was not in agreement with paying all those $$'s for the ATC service v the number of IFR RPT aircraft...'Way back then'..??

Hey 'Voicey', if you still read these pages, I need a hand remembering how we 'worked' PD in those days.
Remote AFIZ from Perth FSC, that went to a CTAF..??:hmm:

Doesn't weally matter, I guess......;)

History....written by the Victor......:{

Pinky the pilot
14th Jul 2014, 09:25
Griffo; You forgot to say thanks for the redundo!:=:D

Heard a rumour that the AFIS at Hedland may not be as temporary as we first thought... It seems that the dollars for replacing it with a Control Service add up to quite a tidy sum...but only a rumour

And so does the wheel turn.:hmm:

CaptainMidnight
15th Jul 2014, 00:38
TWR service deferred for the time being, due to the drop off in traffic.