PDA

View Full Version : British Airways Airbus A320 Airborne return due to smoke in the cabin

FNFF
19th Feb 2013, 21:37
BA370
G-MIDX
LHR-MRS
SUNDAY 17 FEB 2013

Smoke in the cabin. Mayday call for immediate return. Crew on oxygen. Autoland carried out, fire services inspected aircraft. Aircraft had No.2 engine changed.

West Coast
20th Feb 2013, 01:13
Is there a requirement to pose a question?

BOAC
20th Feb 2013, 07:59
Thank you for doing that, W C.

Two more:
Why has this not appeared on Av Herald?
Why are BA pilots suddenly hyperventilating so much in flight? (refer Dr Bagshaw)

hunterboy
20th Feb 2013, 08:02
I should imagine that raised awareness is a factor? Historically, pilots may have smelt something odd and thought nothing of it. I guess now, they may be thinking it could be something more.

airsmiles
20th Feb 2013, 11:15
And yet no.2 engine was changed. Presumably they didn't change it to get the practice, so there must have been something amiss with the aircraft.

Dream Buster
20th Feb 2013, 14:02
BOAC,

I am also concerned that certain 'mayday' incidents don't seem to be reported, although they can be found by other means.

It makes one realise that information 'out' is only as good as information 'in'.

Hence it is easy for airlines to say 'There is no evidence'.

Here is a new site with a special section for fume event flights.

Air-Accidents.com | Antonio Bordoni (http://www.air-accidents.com/main.asp?pg=welcome)

wiggy
20th Feb 2013, 14:21
I am also concerned that certain 'mayday' incidents don't seem to be reported

:confused: They certainly are.

DaveReidUK
20th Feb 2013, 16:02
They certainly are.Indeed so. Just not in AvHerald. :*

It always amuses me when people who should know better assume that AH has access to everyone's ASRs.

atakacs
20th Feb 2013, 16:24
Is that the third occurrence with a BA flight within a week ? Different types and circumstances but still perplexing.

Also wondering if auto land is the preferred response in such a case ? Unless you have positively identified the fire not being avionic related I would not put too much trust into those pesky computers...

Bergerie1
20th Feb 2013, 16:39
Does anyone know how thick the smoke was? Was it just fumes or was the visibility inside the aircraft affected? And were there any fire warnings? There is big difference between smelling fumes and believing there is a fire on board.

BOAC
20th Feb 2013, 18:08
DB, Wiggy,.DRUK

I would have assumed that a Mayday would qualify for inclusion on AvH.

wiggy
20th Feb 2013, 18:37
I would have assumed that a Mayday would qualify for inclusion on AvH.

Why? AFAIK AvH isn't an official flight safety publication or organisation. If I fill in an Air Safety Report and/or a Mandatory Occurence Report I follow the official channels, I don't "CC" it to AvHerald (or "Bcc" it to Pprune for that matter :}).

BOAC
20th Feb 2013, 20:07
Since neither of us know from whence Simon gets his information, there is little point in discussing your point. I would however observe that, as I'm sure you know, a few more people then you and BA 'notice' a Mayday so the aviation world does not hang on your 'cc'.

wiggy
20th Feb 2013, 21:53
I'm sure you know, a few more people then you and BA 'notice' a Mayday so the aviation world does not hang on your 'cc'.

I'm certainly glad about that.

Given that nobody else "noticed" this incident maybe the OP should tell us more?

DaveReidUK
20th Feb 2013, 22:46
Given that nobody else "noticed" this incident maybe the OP should tell us more? The OP's summary pretty well said it all. The report of smoke (in the rear of the passenger cabin, it seems) must have been during or just after takeoff, because the aircraft made an immediate right turnout onto a downwind leg and subseqently landed on 09R, squawking 7700, after less than 15 minutes airborne.

Given that, as BOAC has helpfully pointed out, the incident must have been apparent to anyone who was monitoring departures at the time, or indeed the world and his wife looking at WebTrak in retrospect, why it didn't make AvHerald is one of life's mysteries that will doubtless never be explained.

Fargoo
21st Feb 2013, 00:42
I need to apologise to West Coast, I deleted a post between his and the original poster by mistake last night and it totally changed the context of his reply.

I was questioning why this wasn't in the spotters forum given that it was a report of a defect that would normally not get a second glance.

Is it purely because it was fumes and that is a hot topic for a couple of people on here?

21st Feb 2013, 09:49
the aircraft made an immediate right turnout onto a downwind leg and subseqently landed on 09R, squawking 7700, after less than 15 minutes airborne.
Sounds textbook to me. Good job!:D:D
Also wondering if auto land is the preferred response in such a case ?
I have no idea if this a/c was overweight, (occasionally tanking fuel is carried) however I believe overweight autolands may not have been demonstrated on A320???

CasperFan
21st Feb 2013, 16:43
A BA A319 (320?) emergency landing, Lisbon, cockpit smoke! 08:30

JW411
21st Feb 2013, 17:00
If I understand it, the latest BALPA belief is that fumes do not really do us any harm and that we are all hyperventillating. Why is that British Airways seem to be going through a week of hyperventillating?

I am astonished that BAPLA have taken this view especially since two BA pilots have recently died with more than a suspicion of aero-toxicity involved.

Something does not add up in this argument.

Why are BALPA so keen to avoid the possibility of toxic poisoning?

Are they possibly being paid by the other side?

DaveReidUK
21st Feb 2013, 17:32
A BA A319 (320?) emergency landing, Lisbon, cockpit smoke! 08:30 This morning's BA499 from LIS is showing as cancelled on the Heathrow website. Due to have been operated by A320 G-EUYA, which is presumably the aircraft involved.

Sober Lark
21st Feb 2013, 20:52
Is it only since they banned smoking on flights that they now notice fumes in the cabin :)

21st Feb 2013, 22:11
Any of you chaps notice the word 'smoke' in these incidents?

Not fumes!:ugh::ugh::ugh:

Bengerman
22nd Feb 2013, 05:01
Why are BALPA so keen to avoid the possibility of toxic poisoning?

Are they possibly being paid by the other side?

I suggest you temper your need to post items like this! It looks libellous to me and is completely uncalled for.

If you have an issue with BALPA's stance on toxic cabin air I suggest you write to them and get yourself informed instead of posting BS like this!

Sober Lark
22nd Feb 2013, 06:18
4468, the definition of smoke seems rather similar to the definition of fumes. But I take it that isn't your understanding?

Whatever it is BA aircraft or their employees seem to be more aware of it than others and you'll probably find it is more of an employee psychological phenomenon than mechanical.

DaveReidUK
22nd Feb 2013, 06:38
Due to have been operated by A320 G-EUYA, which is presumably the aircraft involved.And which positioned back to LHR late last night.

Reportedly it departed LIS yesterday morning and returned after reporting smoke on the flight deck in the cruise.

blind pew
22nd Feb 2013, 09:11
Whenever I read or hear the magic word I think this bloke has something to hide and is using the bully card for his own purposes.
I have seen bully boy tactics used many times; accident investigation, illegal operations, twits running short on fuel to name a few.
Having personally had lots of unknown illnesses including being given a week to live I suggest that you should considerably enlarge your reading list.
Perhaps you could go even further and support Pen International who are behind Lord McNally and his attempt to change the law.
Or you could talk to family members of those who have suffered at the hands of our industry - brain tumours from polar flights, Aerotoxic victims or just plain deaths because of bits failing which were known to be a problem.
Or maybe it is a question of intelligence and perhaps you have chosen a career in management?

wiggy
22nd Feb 2013, 09:40
Whatever it is BA aircraft or their employees seem to be more aware of it than others and you'll probably find it is more of an employee psychological phenomenon than mechanical.

Well whatever side of the argument you're on IMHO something strange seems to be going on. It seem's to me at the moment the options are:

A "psychological" or engineering problems solely confined to BA.

or

Other airline crews are not responding to smells in the aircraft in the same the same way.

or

Other crews are having issues but their companies are not openly reporting smoke/fumes problems to their regulatory authorities.

or

If other airlines are openly reporting problems these reports are not being routinely picked up by aviation news/rumour websites .

or

There's been a clumping of incidents at BA and normal statistical service will be resumed as soon as possible....

I guess that's really narrowed the options down :confused:

Sober Lark
22nd Feb 2013, 10:57
I agree with your deduction Wiggy. In all probability you are looking at either staff having prior knowledge of the occurrence of similar events that in turn is creating an employee psychological phenomenon or it is simply a cluster of events. One could feed off the other.

Dream Buster
24th Feb 2013, 21:27
BASSA Union

BA pilot's toxic air emergency | UK | News | Daily Express (http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/379811/BA-pilot-s-toxic-air-emergency)