PDA

View Full Version : How to get into Air/Ground Radio

Matt7504
19th Feb 2013, 21:06
Hey, in here before, so you may have to bare with my lack of knowledge on ATC. For sometime I have been curious to know what is needed in terms of training or qualifications to get into Air/Ground radio. Say for example, I were to live near a local, quiet aerodrome which operated an Air/Ground service, would the UK Radiotelephony Operators License which you need, to complete a PPL be sufficient to carry out this role.
Any pointers would be must appreciated! :)

Matt7504
19th Feb 2013, 22:45
Ok, so if I wanted to operate Air/Ground, I must seek out a CAA examiner authorised to issue the C of C and then have my local radio station sign it so as to operate for them, simple as that? Just pass the exam from studying the CAP? Sounds very tempting, it is a shame that the Flight radio license does not allow issue of the C of C anymore though..

chevvron
19th Feb 2013, 22:46
The FRTOL no longer allows you to be issued with an AGCS Certificate of Competence (C of C) whereas a person holding a valid AFISO licence or ATCO licence with valid ADV/ADI ratings can simply pay the fee and apply for the issue of the C of C. To provide AGCS you must be in possession of this C of C, which must be signed by the licencee of the radio station which you wish to operate; there is no requirement for 'on the job' training or competency checking as there is for FISO or ATC Licences. To carry out on the job training for the 'validation' of an AFISO Licence, you must hold a C of C.
To obtain a C of C, you must pass written and practical exams with an examiner who is authorised by the CAA to carry out these exams. There are no formal training courses as far as I'm aware, but the exam is based on CAP452.

chevvron
19th Feb 2013, 23:05
Yes it's self study to take the exam, although if you have chance, it would of course be useful to go and watch/listen to an existing A/G station.
There's a 'White' AIC which lists the authorised examiners. We only examine you, we don't actually issue the C of C; this is done by the CAA based on the examiner's report of your practical test and the written exam result.
The CAA charge (I think) £35 for the issue of the C of C; examiners charges are up to them.

PhiltheReaper
22nd Feb 2013, 19:33
Having completed both exams on 18th of this month, I can confirm that (as usual) Chevron is bang on.

I would say that it is of critical importance to get down to your local aerodrome to understand how these things work in reality, and perhaps to have a go under supervision. It will help with your fluidity at test.

It is also worth noting that you are tested on some things which are pretty usual for 'most' A/G operators. Such as the passing of clearances for IFR flights etc.

I'm willing to impart any of my limited experience to you if you so choose. PM me.

Phil

2 sheds
22nd Feb 2013, 21:36
The C of C is actually required before "having a go" under supervision.

2 s

PhiltheReaper
25th Feb 2013, 12:17
That's what I always believed too, but I was told of some conflicting evidence on that matter. However, it being second hand, I will happily bow down to your superior experience/knowledge.

Phil