PDA

View Full Version : Examination Validity

dobbin1
19th Feb 2013, 11:32
Have the PPL examination validity periods changed under EASA? I want to confirm that it is still 18 months from the end of the month in which the first exam was passed and then 24 months to get the licence from the end of the month in which the final exam was passed.

I have scoured CAP 804, but I can't find this defined anywhere. I have a student who is nearing this limit and I want to make sure I don't give him misleading advice.

Curtis E Carr
19th Feb 2013, 11:58
See FCL.025 (b)(2) and (c)(1)(i)

dobbin1
19th Feb 2013, 13:11
Thanks. I should not have expected CAP 804 to be useful.

For info, the FCL document is this one:-

http://easa.europa.eu/rulemaking/docs/npa/2008/NPA%202008-17b.pdf

and the relevant bits are:-

(b)

Pass standards

(1) A pass in an examination paper will be awarded to an applicant achieving at least 75% of the

marks allocated to that paper. There is no penalty marking.

(2) Except when otherwise determined in this Part, an applicant has successfully completed the

required theoretical knowledge examination for the appropriate pilot licence or rating when

he/she has passed all of the required subjects within a period of 18 months counted from the

end of the calendar month when the applicant first attempted an examination.

(3) If an applicant has failed to pass one of the examination papers within 4 attempts, or has

failed to pass all papers within either six attempts or the period mentioned in paragraph (2),

he/she shall retake

the complete set of examination papers.

Before retaking

the examinations, the applicant shall undertake further training at an

approved training organisation. The extent and scope of the training needed shall be agreed

between the training organisation and the competent authority, based on the needs of the

applicant.

(c)

Validity period

(1) The successful completion of the theoretical knowledge examinations will be valid:

(i) for the issue of a leisure pilot licence, a private pilot licence, a sailplane pilot licence or

a balloon pilot licence, for a period of 24 months;

(ii) for the issue of a commercial pilot licence or instrument rating, for a period of 36

months;

(iii) the periods in (i) and (ii) shall be counted from the day when the pilot successfully

completes the theoretical knowledge examination, in accordance with (b)(2).

(2) Provided that the applicant holds an instrument rating, the completion of the airline transport

pilot licence theoretical knowledge examinations will remain valid for a period of 7 years from

the last validity date of the instrument rating entered in the commercial pilot licence for the

issuance of an airline transport pilot licence.

Curtis E Carr
19th Feb 2013, 14:05
I would be wary of listing the NPA as a reference for these matters. Better to go for the Regulation itself.

For the extant document, see here (http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2011:311:0001:0193:EN:PDF) and here (http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2012:100:0001:0056:EN:PDF).

dobbin1
20th Feb 2013, 06:45
Thanks. Is there an easy way to find all this stuff?