PDA

View Full Version : Class 2

HelenD
20th Apr 2002, 16:19
Well I have finally recieved my class 2 medical after 8 months of waiting and a medical flight test. The result is I am allowed to fly the demonstrated aircraft type. In my case I think this is the PA28. I did the medical flight test in the PA28-161 cadet. If anyone can tell me whether I am cleared for all PA28 aircraft or just the 161 I would be interested in knowing. If I wish to be cleared for other aircraft I will need further medical flight tests with a Flying Instructor Examiner.

tomcs
20th Apr 2002, 17:12
I dont see why thats a problem...I usually fly a 161. But in my training i flew a 181 for about 10 hours or so. And the only difference is the peroformance due to the higher powered engine. The cockpit is the same

Tom

distaff_beancounter
20th Apr 2002, 17:37
HelenD .... congratulations on getting your medical.

To be on the safe side, I think you should talk to the Flying Instructor/Examiner who did the test for you. Or ask him if you need to check this point with the CAA.

It may depend on what your medical restiction is, & what has been signed off in your licence or log-book.

Over the years I have flown a variety of PA28s, Cadets, Warriors, Archers & Arrows in particular, & several different Marks of each of those. I found that the more varieties that I have flown, the easier it is swopping around.

The main difference is in engine size & therefore performance.

The second difference is many knobs & switches in different places. eg magnetoes & fuel pumps etc, either at the bottom of the instrument panel, or otherwise just above your head .

Good luck & Good Flying :)

MikeSamuel
20th Apr 2002, 17:51
Excellent news Ms D! Let us know when you get that solo done!

MS.

FlyingForFun
22nd Apr 2002, 13:01
Congrats, Helen! :D I know how much you've been looking forward to this day - must be a huge relief for you!

I have no idea what the exact terms of your medical would be - I'd expect it to be written clearly on your medical, but failing this, I'd clarify with the examiner. Many PA28s are pretty much identical to fly, but not all - the PA28-140, for example, has the trim handle in a completely different place to the 161, so I could understand it a new checkout was required for different variants to ensure that you're able to reach all of the controls comfortably.

Have you soloed yet? Would have been perfect weather for it this weekend.

FFF
---------