View Full Version : Calling level?

Racing Snake
19th Apr 2002, 21:08
Ok i give in.I can't find it anywhere.Do we need to call reaching our cruise level under radar.I hear it done but it seems a waste of rt space on a busy sector.

Mini Blue
19th Apr 2002, 21:37
I don't believe u do need to report level at cruise, and if its busy on the r/t then use your common sense. The ensuing "roger" may be a bit curt. But if its not busy then the call might prompt an early direct or qsy,only might though...

Right Way Up
20th Apr 2002, 15:12
Is there something in the RVSM rules requiring calls when attaining cleared FL?

fourthreethree
20th Apr 2002, 16:24
No, there is no requirement to call level in radar environment. Personally, I find it a mite irritating, as some pilots use it to infer a request for a higher level, particularly when using the phraseology "reaching FL...."

I would add, however, on the common sense front, that if you, as a pilot, were instructed to reach that level with a restriction (r.o.c, time etc) then it is often due traffic. In this case it may be useful to the controller to know the level has been reached, thus the conflict is solved.

I am sure there has been nothing official in this area since the introduction of RVSM, but I'm prepared to be corrected in this matter.

Bigmouth
20th Apr 2002, 18:03
Didn´t somebody post something about all this ¨maintaining¨ and ¨continuing¨ and ¨reaching¨ a few days ago?