PDA

View Full Version : Incidents and accidents history; Not employable

DeltaT
5th Feb 2013, 01:27
A lot of pilot application forms these days want pilots with no accident or incident history.
The Pilots of the Qantas A380 that :mad: itself, or the likes of Sully and Co that landed the A320 in the Hudson, I am pretty sure I would take them on.
I understand if you were the 'cause' of the accident sure thats a different matter.
What happens to the pilots in an airline like the ones above after the accident or incident, do they then get fired?! -no

Why do so many Airlines not want a pilot that has proved himself when the time comes, where the accident or incident is normally of no fault of their own?

Agaricus bisporus
5th Feb 2013, 12:57
Probably just down to the dirtiest word in aviation; accountants.

petitb
5th Feb 2013, 16:01
Nobody likes a hero!!

Sir George Cayley
5th Feb 2013, 18:18
Tactful omission on the cv?

DeltaT
10th Feb 2013, 02:25
Isn't it ironic that as pilots you are trained over and over again how to deal with emergencies, engine failures, fires etc, the moment you have it for real and carry out your duty, you are now no longer employable.:confused:
Something is really :mad: up there!

AerocatS2A
12th Feb 2013, 00:29
I don't believe the premise that pilot application forms want pilots with no accident or incident history. Got a cite for that? Maybe some examples?

DeltaT
12th Feb 2013, 08:33
Quite a number of Agency advertisement state this in their requirements.
Many airlines ask this question without revealing their company stance.
I'm not saying it applies to all, but however quite a few...

First few results found in a few minutes from Google:

here1 (http://www.uplusaviation.com/About.asp?id=1056)
here2 (http://www.pprune.org/questions/455098-no-accident-incident-certificate.html)
here3 (http://www.copaair.com/Sites/CC/en/Acerca-de-Copa-Airlines/Pages/recursos-humanos-primer-oficial.aspx)
here4 (http://www.safiairways.com/career)

sevenstrokeroll
13th Feb 2013, 13:14
having a real accident is something that demands so much investigation as to actual cause, not just probable cause.

heroes...it screws you up , no one wants to fly with a hero...believe me.

so, keep your record clean. work at it. decide that renting a little plane from company x shows lack of judgement as they seem to lose engines more often than company Y.

good luck.

one thing that struck me as odd when I was on my way up...a fellow pilot asked me how I would answer this question at an interview: have you ever smoked pot?

I would answer : NO.

the fellow pilot said, so, you would lie? I said: when I decided to become a pilot, I decided I wouldn't lie on anything and avoided pot, or drunk driving, or illegal drugs.

so avoid the problem...think ahead.

DeltaT
14th Feb 2013, 07:26
I understand your point, but I am talking about something you have no prior control over.
Qantas A380 was an engine design defect.
Sullys one was a flock of Geese.

Should all pilots be refusing to fly the 787 just in case?

I seem to have missed something in the flying fraternity, what is wrong with a pilot/hero thats survived a disaster?

what next
14th Feb 2013, 08:24
Good Morning!

DeltaT: First few results found in a few minutes from Google:

here1

This is the question from the online form in the link above:
"Have you been involved in any aircraft accidents, incidents or ATC violations because of your fault?" (higlighted by me)

So I would say engine failures, brake failures, encounters with canadian geese and similar accidents/incidents will not have negative effects regarding the application to this job.

DeltaT
15th Feb 2013, 07:49
ref Here1
Point 3: "a copy of no accident or incident report from the aviation authority"

Dave Clarke Fife
15th Feb 2013, 09:43
In the words of Captain Peter Burkhill, he of BA038..........

In August last year, Peter took *voluntary redundancy.

“I’d been BA, man and boy. But it was also exciting to think that I was going to start a new career with a different *airline.

“I’d spoken to pilot friends on other airlines and they all felt that someone would snatch my hand off.”

They couldn’t have been more wrong.

“I’ve applied to 10 major airlines who are recruiting 777 pilots and I haven’t even been invited to a single interview,” he says.

“In one case I’ve been told *officially that it is because I was involved in the crash and that they were concerned with the publicity that surrounded me.