PDA

View Full Version : Similar sound between "run-up" and "line up" could cause misunderstanding or errors?

SafeBull
1st Feb 2013, 10:24
Hi all,
this is my first post :confused:
I would like to ask if you ever experienced a phraseology confusion, a possible misunderstanding, I mean between "run-up" and "line up".
Let me try to explain:
I'm waiting for clearence to enter the runway

the ATC has the common practice to ask, during foggy days or ice days, if we need an engine "run-up"

my reply to the request ("Do you need run-up") causes a misunderstanding, in fact my answer is "Roger, line up"

the ATC recognize the readback error and stops me before I enter the runway.

Do you ever had a similar experience?
Do you think this common practice used by ATC could cause misunderstanding or errors?
Do you think the similar sound between "run-up" and "line up" could cause misunderstanding or errors?
Thanks for your help.

DB6
1st Feb 2013, 13:28
No
Yes
Yes
'Run-up' is not standard phaseology in the UK. My local airfield uses the phrase 'power checks' which is less open to misinterpretation. You could ask your ATCOs to say that, or even 'engine run-up' instead of 'run-up'.

+TSRA
1st Feb 2013, 16:06
I've not had an exact similar situation, but misunderstandings over the radio are more frequent then most people realize. That's why we use standard phraseology, phonetic alphabet, etc.

Here in Canada "engine run-up" is still used for pistons and some turboprops, but I've overheard many jets use the term "engine clearing." In saying that, I've never personally seen anyone confuse run-up with line-up.

Intruder
1st Feb 2013, 18:41
You'll hear it often in Anchorage, where they are attuned to many airplanes needing engine run-ups for anti-icing in the winter. I have not heard any confusion on the issue so far.

zondaracer
2nd Feb 2013, 19:37
"run-up" vs "line up and wait"

gorter
2nd Feb 2013, 19:48
And when there's a line up instruction that should be coupled with a runway designator. "Big plane 123 line up and wait runway 09". Also ATC shouldn't offer you the opportunity for confusion. Only you should ask for run up.

Intruder
2nd Feb 2013, 20:41
For planning purposes, the Tower controller may ask if you will need a run-up...

sevenstrokeroll
5th Feb 2013, 01:05
in the USA turbine powered aircraft are considered to be ''ready'' upon approaching the end of the runway.

instead of ''line up and wait'', we used to say: taxi into position and hold.

sometimes change is not for the best

bcgallacher
5th Feb 2013, 21:09
Cleared for start and push by Manila after requesting permission for high power run with a 747 on active runway (no run up area) - cleared to taxi to holding point then cleared to enter runway. requested permission to commence run was then cleared for take off! Had then to explain I was an engineer doing a maintenance runup.